Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

passport info for those with that pesky Israeli passport stamp

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone might already know this except for me, but thought I'd share in case its useful to others - I just found out the US gov't will issue you a two-year passport in addition to your current passport if you write a letter stating (among other things) that you want to travel to countries hostile to Israel and have evidence of travel to Israel in your current passport.
I had seen mention of this in a nytimes article and just called the passport folks and they confirmed.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Thanks, that's true. I have an Israel stamp, but I plan to get a new passport this Summer well in advance of my trip to Oman and UAE (the Israel stamp may be a problem for Oman).

For what its worth, I have heard that some have had problems with the two-year passport because a lot of countries know they are issued to those with Israeli stamps.

Where are you planning to visit that requires an Israel-free passport?

Michael
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

I was wondering if the countries would be suspicious - I guess I'll find out when I apply for my visas! Will be terribly disappointed if I cannot get them.

I'm planning to tack on Syria and Lebanon to my trip this fall since I can get a reasonably priced flight there from Cairo. (I think my final travel plans are 2 wks in Ethiopia, 3 in Egypt and then about 10 days split between Lebanon & Syria.)
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Michael -
I have a passport-related question for you - can I email you about it?
Thanks -
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Of course.

You can email me at [email protected]

I just sent my passport out for a Russia visa (I'm off to St. Petersburg in May), so I don't have it on my desk, so if I need to look at my passport to answer the question, I'll need to wait a couple of days before I get it back.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:43 PM

Is the price of a 2-year passport different from a regular one? How much is it?
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:50 PM

I actually had a case of the missing passport. Got it returned months later, but just started to use my other passport that was stamped in the back for Isreal and South Africa only-apartheid days. Decided to see what would happen and used it for the rest of my year long round the world trip. Entered the states with it too. No one even noticed or commented.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM
africnow

Hi Maxwell,

I inquired about this on a couple of other forums.

Seems that it is easier (and costs the same) simply to renew your passport. You are permitted to renew at any time, you don't have to wait till it is near the expiration date.

Check with your local embassey or consular office.

Then of course you have a full passport that is clean. No difficulties entering any country.

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi Africanow -
Yes, I just figured this out today, so you were a step ahead of me! I had been told by a few friends (don't know why I didn't bother to confirm this myself) I wasn't going to be able to renew this soon (since I just renewed mine a year or two ago). That's the route I'm going now...definitely much easier.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 12:28 PM
P_M

maxwell, everyone did not already know this because I have leanred something new, so thanks for posting this. I am hoping to go to Israel in the next year and my passport is good until 2014, so I don't wish to renew it just after my Israel trip. Can someone please give me a list of countries where the Israeli stamp is unacceptable? Then I will decide if I should get the 2-year passport or not.

Thanks.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 01:39 PM
africnow

P M
There is no fixed list. It waxes and wanes

For sure you cannot get into: Syria, Lebanon, Lybia, Saudi Arabia or Iran.

Other countries *sometimes* turn a blind eye to an Israeli stamp: Malaysia, Indonesia, UAE.

Fully acceptable with an Israeli stamp (today!): Moracco, Jordan, Egypt, Turkey and the rest of the world.

Please note: 99% of the time if you ask the Israeli immigration officer not to stamp your passport thay will not. They stamp a separate piece of paper that you must keep with your passport and show when you leave Israel. That said, there is the occasional immigration officer that will stamp the passport anyway

Old May 1st, 2006, 06:35 AM

africnow, that list is not accurate.

I have an Israel stamp, and with it, I have visited Saudi Arabia, Indonesia (several times) and Malaysia (twice).

An Israel stamp will prevent access to Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Algeria, Libya and Sudan (I'm pretty sure about those), and Oman is fuzzy (I am getting a new passport prior to my trip to UAE and Oman in November).
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM
africnow

Glad to hear that thit cho. As I said, it does change at times and for certain people occupations.

AFAIK the UAE is one of those places that tend to *mostly* (no guarantees) to wink at an Israeli stamp in a 3rd nations passport.

Old May 1st, 2006, 08:28 AM
P_M

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I will ever visit those countries, but I will ask for a stamp on a seperate paper anyway. If they refuse to give it to me, then I will have to renew my passport if I should ever plan a trip to the countries you named.

Politics can sure make it tough on a traveler!!
Old May 1st, 2006, 10:11 AM

1) The Syrians are wise to the 2 year passport thing - and the "oh I lost it & had to renew it in Cairo/Amman" thing as well

2) It's not just a case of avoiding the Israeli stamp in your passport, you have to show that if you have been to Egypt and/or Jordan that your passport has the "correct" entry AND exit stamps, missing stamps will get you refused at the Syrian border just as much as wandering up waving an Israeli flag.
Old May 1st, 2006, 10:48 AM
africnow

Not quite alan. The second action you mention will get you shot on sight.