Search

Which new camera

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:22 PM
spy
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which new camera

I know this is a HUGE question.... but my family and I leave for Tanzania in less than 2 weeks. Thinking of buying a new camera (just have a point and shoot Canon SD1000 now). Initial research has narrowed down the choices to a Canon Rebel xTi (or something like that) and a NIkon.... SD 60 I think. Canon about $800. Nikon a bit cheaper. Both a BIG step for us. Is it necessary? ANy thought on which? Is it worth renting a BIG zoom? I am a neophite to taking high quality pictures. My husband is more educated and he is leaning for the Canon.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:57 PM

Either Canon or Nikon is fine, and I'd recommend at least a 70-300 mm class lens to complement the kit lens, or even better, the 100-400 IS (Canon) or 80-400 VR (Nikon) if you can swing it.

But I would STRONGLY urge you to buy the camera tomorrow and begin to shoot with it every day before you leave Seriously, buying a new camera right before you go and not being able to practice with it before hand is often a receipe for disaster. Practice, practice, practice ...

Bill
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 01:03 PM

I personally shoot with a Canon XT (predecessor to the XTI) and am very happy. (The XSi, the decedent of the XTi, was released in the past few weeks.) However, I would <b>strongly</b> recommended against getting a new camera, especially a digital SLR, 2 weeks before a trip. There is a learning curve associated with any new camera, but SLRs require more knowledge to get the best out of them. The quality on auto mode will not be significantly better than the point-and-shoot in most situations. (In fact, in may be &quot;worse&quot; as the SLRs generally do less in camera sharpening and use a lower saturation since it's assumed images will be post-processed more.)

Also, it's generally a good idea to test the camera and make sure things are working okay, and you don't have a lot of time to do this.

Keep in mind that there be more things to buy as well. I would suggest an extra battery or 2 ($15-20 each for a reputable off-brand or $50 for Canon), a bag (anywhere from $30-$100+), and memory cards (it takes compact flash and not SD).

On the lens, assuming you're looking at the kit 18-55mm lens, it is shorter than your current camera (by ~20%), so there's no advantage there. Either one would be too short for good animal shots. It's generally said that you need 300mm plus, so renting or buying a longer lens would necessary. The Canon 70-300 IS (image stabilization) is well regarded and runs $550 (at B&amp;H, a reputable online seller). The 100-400 mentioned above is a great lens, but runs $1400.

Paul
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 01:06 PM

First off, I would suggest doing a search on this forum for &quot;camera,&quot; you will see several of us discussing this issue in great detail, as it comes up a lot.

Based on what you have said, I think I would recommend one of the &quot;super zoom&quot; point and shoots like the Canon S5, Panasonic FZ30, or the Sony H9. If you are a neophyte and if you only have two weeks to get accustomed to your new camera, I don't think you can get the most out of an SLR and you may miss pictures because of your lack of familiarity with the camera controls and settings. The super-zooms are easy to use and have a lot of flexibility, and they also cost a lot less.

Don't get me wrong, I am firmly of the view that SLRs and long telephoto lenses are going to give you the best results, but only if you have used them enough to get familiar with them and how to exploit their potential. Two weeks isn't enough for that in my opinion unless you already have a lot of experience dealing with aperture, shutter speed, ISO and the other settings on an SLR. Working with big lenses is a logisitcal challenge (they are heavy, like 6-10 pounds) and requires careful attention to shooting technique like support to reduce vibration and care to make sure the depth of field is what you want for a particular shot.

So my recommendation as a Canon user would be for the S5. If you had more time to practice with the camera, it would be a different story, but I think overall you are better served with a camera you can really learn to use in the time you have.

Chris
www.pbase.com/cwillis
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:01 PM

Spy,
What camera do you have now? Two weeks is very little practice time.

I agree with Chris in Atlanta. If you need to replace your camera, get one of the high quality P&amp;S cameras mentioned and then get used to it at home. I don't think BillH's suggestion is extreme. You need familiarity with your equipment, even the simple stuff. Take the manual with you. Be sure you know what you need to charge the battery.

If getting an SLR, you need at least a 200 lense. I always took a 300.

With those P&amp;S cameras the built in zoom is at least 300.

I have the Sony DSC H2 and the H9. They work great and are half the price or less of an $800 Canon and they don't require more lenses.

What you don't want is too much camera that just makes you frustrated and you spend all your time fiddling with it and miss what you paid so much to go and see.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:07 PM

Spy,

Bill_H, sanschag, Chris_GA_Atl &amp; atravelynn have given you great advise as they did me. We will not be going on our Tanzania &amp; Kenya safari until June 6th, but the wonderful people on this forum gave me invaluable advise on chosing my &quot;main&quot; new camera. We will also, take my old Canon A70 but finally retire my Minolta 700 (film). ;-(

I purchased the Canon S5 IS from Amazon and have used it (practiced, practiced, practiced as Bill recommends ;-)) several day a week since recieving it. It is an easy camera to use and takes great pictures, IMHO. The other good thing is the ability to take videos. If you want to see one, this was taken of my 22 month old grandson early this month &amp; here is the url http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7fGaoMHXB0. We were just playing around.

The telephoto on this camera is equilavent of a 432mm lens. It does a nice job for an amature.

Good travels. Will look forward to your trip report after your return.

Linda

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:19 PM
spy
Original Poster

WOW. Such useful advice and from a variety of folks. Thank you ever so much. Great suggestions. My husband is probably more up on lens use than I but I hear loud and clear that a high quality P+S is likely a better way for me. I will go do some research for a 200-300 one of those. My husband has a chance to borrow a NIkon D40 with a ?35-?135 lens that he has used some before. Would this be worth taking with us... perhaps along with renting a larger lens ? Any thoughts of which rental place we can use on line? Thanks again.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:23 PM

Another vote for the Canon S5! The movable LCD screen allows you to compose excellent safari shots at odd angles, such as low level shots, without having to look through the viewfinder of an SLR.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:45 PM

You will not find a 200-300 Point and Shoot. They are 10x optical zoom, 12x optical zoom, 15x optical, or some may even be higher.

But a 10x translates to about a 300, I believe.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 03:55 PM

Just wanted to offer my experience.

I just returned from Costa Rica and purchased a digital SLR just a week before the trip. I had a decent Canon digital point-and-shoot with 10x optical zoom but wanted a faster camera so that I could possibly catch wildlife shots.

With all the pre-trip preparations, about all the &quot;practice&quot; I got with my new camera was how to charge the battery. I basically shot all my pictures in &quot;auto&quot; mode.

The end result is that my pictures from the trip are so-so. In auto-shoot mode with auto-focus, you can use the SLR pretty much like a point-and-shoot.

I took both cameras (used the small p&amp;s on some of the hikes) and the quality of the pictures are about the same. I did get some monkey shots with the SLR that I probably wouldn't have caught with the p&amp;s.

So, my feeling is, go ahead and buy a new camera if you were planning to buy one anyway. The Canon Rebel XTi is really easy to use and there probably won't be any &quot;disasters&quot;. But don't expect your pictures to be that much better than your p&amp;s. The SLR will be faster so you'll possibly get some pictures wildlife on the move that you would miss with the p&amp;s.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 04:00 PM

Let me clarify something Lynn was talking about -- trying to compare focal length on SLR lenses with the &quot;10x&quot; &quot;12x&quot; or whatever on a point &amp; shoot. They are not directly comparable, because &quot;10x&quot; simply means that the telephoto end of the zoom range is 10x as long as the wide end -- could be equivalent to 10mm-100mm or 20mm-200mm -- you have to look it up to see.

So for example the following point &amp; shoots have the following focal lengths expressed in 35mm SLR equivalent:
Panasonic FZ18: 28-504mm
Canon S5: 36-432mm
Sony H9: 31-465mm
(all from www.dpreview.com)

Of course if you want to compare these to the effective focal lengths of DSLRs, you have to take the &quot;crop factor&quot; into account, which is 1.5x for Nikon cameras (other than the D3) and 1.6x for Canon (other than 5D and 1D models). So a Digital Rebel XTi with 400mm is equivalent to 640mm (400 x 1.6).

If you are taking that D40 and you want to rent a lens to go with it, try www.lensrentals.com or www.borrowlenses.com. Both have good reputations. If I were renting a Nikon lens for a safari, I would get the 200-400 f/4 VR, but that lens weighs 7 pounds and costs $5,000, so it is a big deal to rent and carry around. The 80-400VR that Bill mentioned would be a more practical and useable choice. But that assumes that either you or your husband knows how to operate the camera and deal with a lens of that focal length, which takes practice. People do not just pick up 400 and 500mm lenses and shoot great pictures with them. I shoot over a thousand frames a month just to keep in practice with my equipment. And we haven't even touched the topic that can really make a difference in digital SLR pictures -- appropriate processing using RAW image files, which is an art all itself and is the only way to get the very best results out of the camera, but takes a long time to learn and get used to.

So I still vote for the S5, get it as soon as possible and shoot a couple thousand pictures with it before you go. I think you will get better pictures and enjoy your trip more with this option.

Chris
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 04:38 PM

Spy, if all of Chris's info made sense, then get the DSLR. If you went huh? Get the S5 or similar.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:39 AM
spy
Original Poster

Again, MUCH thanks for all the advice. I wish I'd done this weeks (or even months ) ago but , alas, such is life. We are visiting an orphanage when we arrive and I have been very busy gathering supplies (more than 100 pounds so far!) for them........ so I can't feel too sorry for myself and my supidity for not moving quicker on this. All things considered, I have bought the S5 and hope it does a good enough job for us on the trip.I will be busy busy busy shooting practice photos this weekend! I am sure it will be fine.... thanks again for all your thoughts and I am still going to look into the other options when I have more time to learn what the heck I am doing. ALl your advice has been invaluable so thanks again.