Digital Camera For Website Photos And Some Simplistic General Camera Info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I am a complete techno moron, so please speak-down to me .

After I return from Rome next month I plan to get a computer and learn how to use it. Webtv is not a computer, it's for morons which fits me perfectly .

I would like to put up a website on the Roman Forum.
It would be a walking historical tour with all the major sites but more importantly the little things that aren't mentioned in guidebooks or by guides.

I want a camera for $200US or less with a zoom lens.

I assume all digital cameras in that range plug into a computer?

My photos will be alot of regular wide angles but some photos will be close 1 meter shots where I want detail.

I don't care about printing any of my photos (I have plenty from my past trips), only putting them on a website.

So basically what I am asking is;

What number do I want in 'Pixal', which I assume is clarity?

What do I want in I think it is called 'Internal memory'.

Also there is some number on the camera's info tag (like 16mb) in the stores for the external 'photo cards'?
What would I want in that?

Any info in what type of 'photo card' would be best?

Rechargable batteries with a spare set are the way to go I've read on other posts?

Once I've stored my photos on these 'photo cards' and taken them out of the camera is there anyway I can mess them up (Airport metal detector, x-ray, etc).

Would it be better to burn them onto a CD in Rome at a photo shop?

30+yrs ago I was an Electronics Technician in the Navy, today I am just so totally lost .
Thanks...Regards, Walter
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Neopolitan

Hey, ParadiseLost, I bet I'm an even bigger techno moron, and I've been debating pretty much the same issue.

One point though I've been told is that the best way to go battery wise (for people like you and me) is to have a camera that uses regular AA type batteries. The batteries are readily available everywhere, you can easily carry an extra set at all times, and you don't have to ever worry about running out of power and having to wait to recharge. Plus they're much cheaper than the other types.

I'm anxiously awaiting the answers to your other questions.

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:44 AM
TC

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but.......here's what I did. I went to the highest end camera shop in my area and "tried on" all the camera's in my price range. I asked tons of dumb questions and made them talk to me until I understood the answers. I told them what I wanted to do and how I like to work and that I didn't give a flying fig about the latest and greatest techno wizardry. Take the camera in your hand -- see how it feels. See how it works -- is it user friendly, in a hurry, on the fly? Can you see in the screen - is it big enough? Make them show you how to download the images to a computer. How easy is that? I just pop the thing out of my camera (it looks like a stick of gum) and pop it into a "reader" attached to my computer -- very easy. My camera uses both rechargable and AA batteries in case I'm somewhere and can't recharge. Its not really what we all think is best, because you'll get dozens of different responses, but what works best for you. Once you know which camera you like, you can begin to shop for the best price. Sometimes last year's model is a very good deal and has fewer bells and whistles (that you don't need) to confuse the issue.

I have a VERY OLD Microsoft program called Picture It that I use to manipulate my photos. Everyone thinks I need something hot and new, so my husband spent big bucks and bought me PhotoShop. I've never used it in three years. Just too darned complicated for my needs.

Go with what works for you!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:49 AM
ira

Hi folks,

Go to www.stevesdigicams.com

Look up the Canon, Fuji, Olympus, Minolta cameras of 3-5 Mpx with 3x or 4x optical zoom.

These are all good point and shoot cameras with high quality lenses in your price range.

I'm partial to the Canon cameras.

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:53 AM

TC
That is one of the best post I have seen!

You are so right - try it on for size, how does it fit in your hand, does it make sense to YOU.

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Walter,

One thing I think is important in a digital camera is to make sure you get one with an optical viewfinder -- the part you put up to your eye to frame the picture, instead of only the viewscreen display on the back. Outside in very bright light it is sometimes hard to see the picture on those display screens, plus it is easier to hold the camera steady when it is against your face.

A lot of the newer cameras are coming out without those optical viewfinders, I guess as a cost-saving move, but I wouldn't buy one.

I agree with Ira that Canon makes excellent cameras, in a great range of prices and sizes.

You don't need to spend a lot of extra money to get higher pixel count if you are only putting your pictures online. 3 or 4 megapixels would be fine.

You definitely do want to back up your pictures, and burning a CD is probably the easiest way. Be careful when packing it though -- we just got home to find one of our CDs cracked in our suitcase. Fortunately, we had several backups, so we didn't lose anything.

The memory for storing the photos, by the way, is not in the camera itself, it is on the removable photo cards, which you can think of as reusable film. The cameras usually come with small cards (maybe 16mb) and you will need to buy a bigger one. Probably 512 mb would be more than adequate. The most common type now is called SD (for Secure Digital, I think), and you can get them just about anywhere. Costco often has good prices.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 12:58 PM

To put pictures on a website, you want as many pictures as possible to choose from.

So you need as much memory as possible to store the pictures you take.

As for how big they should be (in megapixel terms), you might as well go for the largest size you can afford. You will be publishing the pictures at a much smaller size than they've been taken at; but you can't put back in pixels that the camera never had in the first place.

That said, you will need to learn how to use the options in your camera to vary the size of the pictures it's taking. You won't need each picture to be as big as you would need if you were planning 6"x4" prints, because for a website you need to keep the pictures fairly small in terms of both displayed size and memory used. Otherwise they take too long to download and display and your site visitors won't wait for them. Mine of Paris, at http://tinyurl.com/hezut, are around 100Kb each; whereas the originals taken by the camera are at least 300Kb each.

On a 16Mb card, that would only be around 50 pictures at most. You could use lots of cards at that size, but it seems to me it would make sense to go for the largest size you can. I have a 512Mb card.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Oh, and yes to rechargeable batteries.

Each camera will have its own requirements as to the technical specification for its memory card, and its own software and connectors to connect to a computer. But a good idea is a card reader, which is a simple device that slots into your computer (make sure you get one with enough ports to plug in devices like this) and uses its power, rather than your camera's batteries. You just take the memory card out of the camera and plug it into the reader.

You may well get software to crop and resize your pictures bundled in with the camera and/or the computer.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Nonnafelice That is a very good point about the viewfinder. In very bright sun light conditions it is very difficult to see the view finder. I have both on my Olympus and use the optical one most of the time and the main reason is that there is considerably less drain on the batteries. I use the electronic viewing screen when I want to be sure of what is getting into the picture.

Another thing to think about is that the more megapixel's you have the more memory you will need. I have a 128 card for my current Olympus 3.2 megapixel camera and it holds 168 pictures. My first digital camera was a 2 megapixel's and it held about 100 more pictures. Both cameras made very good 8 x 10 enlargements.

As for batteries, I use the Energizer e2 Lithium batteries. I would say that they last 20 times longer than the regular AA batteries. I put a new set in my camera last year about March, went to Europe for six weeks, returned and had to put in new batteries this February. I must have taken at least 2000 photos in that amount of time. They are a little more expensive, but I feel they are worth it. I purchased 12 from Sam's Club in February and they were about the price of 8 anywhere else.

One other point about digital cameras that I have a problem with is that when you push the shutter button there is a delay before the picture is taken. This makes it very difficult to take action pictures. I would hope that the newer and/or more expensive cameras have solved this problem. I would recommend trying one out at the store before you purchase to see if this is a problem to you.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Another way to simplify choosing a digital camera is to remember, the higher the numbers the better. The more Megapixels you have, the better photos you'll get. Get a camera with as many as you can afford (obviously an 8 megapixel camera will cost moe than a 4 megapixel). Try to get at least 5.

The memory card is what your images are actually stored on. Again, get the maximum storage you can afford. If a card is included with the camera you end up buying, it will probably have very little capacity. There are several different types of memory card, I think the one that holds most & is most "universal" is the compact flash card (it's about an inch square) also the memory stick (usually purple, the one that looks like a stick of gum).

I agree with those who recommend limiting yourself to cameras that take dispoable batteries and that allow you to both view your image on the screen and through a viewfinder. Also weight is a consideration - I got a really lightweight one that I can put in my purse, but there are even lighter weight cameras than mine on the market but they tend to be more expensive. Do some research on the websites of electronics stores like Best Buy where you can compare cameras & features before venturing out to the brick & mortar store.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Think about how many megapixels you will need if you want to crop your photo. If you crop a little, no problem. If you want to crop a lot, you need a camera that takes photos at a higher resolution. Many cameras let you set it to low, medium, and high resolution. Sometimes people boast about how many pictures they took, but the quality is poor. Take photos at the highest resolution the camera will allow for the highest quality. As someone else mentioned, you can always reduce your photo, but you'll lose quality when you increase it in size.

Shutter lag -- the time between when you press the button to when the camera actually shoots -- can be painfully long. Try different cameras til you find one that feels right to you. This was one of the things that kept my away from digital for so many years.

The battery that came with my camera, a Canon PowerShot G6, is built to charge overseas. I just need to carry an adapter, not a transformer.

Do you want to take close-ups? If so, be sure your camera has a macro option. Today, I think most have this.

Look for the largest viewing screen you can in your price range. Some of those tiny screens are not adequate to really see what you've shot.

You've gotten a lot of good advice here from other posters. Good luck with your search.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 05:09 PM

You'll probably find that whatever you buy your needs will change over time as you learn more about how to use them. I started out with my first digital 7 years ago when they were still running on 3.5" computer floppy disks for memory and back then it was cutting edge at 2 megapixels. Now I have 2 digitals- a top of the amateur line Canon Digital Rebel XT 8 megapixel with which I take my artsy pics that I want to do fun things with and a much smaller 5 megapixel pocket-sized Minolta Dimage. And you know what? They each have their place and time.

The one thing I can say is don't skimp on that memory card. It's gotten so cheap (relatively) that it's worth getting that 512mb or 1 GB card to ensure that you don't have to miss that killer shot, or worse, scroll back through your pics and decide which ones to delete. It's like trying to decide which one of your kids you love less...
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 06:12 PM

There is some good information. I would like to take this opportunity to talk about shutter delay.

With a digital cameras, there is a delay between pushing the button to take the picture and the shutter actually taking the picture. It can be extremely frustrating with some of the less expensive cameras. It is basically non-existant with the good digital SLR's, but I think they are above your price range and ability.

Taking the camera in your hand is very important as many have mentioned... but also ask for a memory card and batteries so you can see how much delay there is - this is something definitely different for each camera.

Most important thing: don't buy the camera and then just go on vacation. PRACTICE before you leave to learn about it.

Batteries: Batteries get used quickly in a digital camera. While I won't weigh in on the disposable vs. dedicated battery issue (that is not a decision point for my purposes), I will give you a huge hint. Turn OFF the LCD screen on the back of the camera and don't watch the preview or review on this LCD screen. You will save an enormous amount of battery life this way - I have made batteries I thought 'dead' last extra hours of taking pictures by doing this.

Memory: My personal opinion is that memory is cheap, so don't cut pennies to later feel that you are missing shots. I use a 1GB card and bought it reasonably at holiday time. However, there is a school of thought that you are better off with two 512 MB cards than one 1 GB card - in case of card failure. I've never had a card fail, but I've heard of it happening. I like the convenience of storing *lots* of pictures. Don't make a decision you regret (skimp on a memory card) and then make an expensive new memory card purchase (on location at inflated prices).

As far as type of memory device (CompactFlash, SD, Memory stick, etc.), I don't know of a huge difference. They only thing is that my 'new' laptop (about 1 year old) has a spot on the side that 6 cards fit into without using the cables that come with the camera. Faster uploading this way than using the cables. For me, this would not be a decision point, but just a point of information for you.

Ok, I'm tired of typing. happy reading
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 07:15 PM

Must haves for me are: Optical viewfinder; image stabilization (very useful in low light where there will be a longer exposure time); A zoom is very nice but IMHO a camera that has the equivelant of wide angle is more useful, particularly for urban scapes and shots of buildings. Maybe a 28 mm equivilent; AA battery power. Lots megapixels is a mixed bag if you don't really need enlargements or crop a lot. It will take up more of your memory card. 4-5 is a nice compromise. 512 memory card at a minimum.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Thanks everyone, I understand these new fangled 'Star Trek' cameras alot better now .

I only take a camera to Europe and never at weddings, family things, weekends away, etc. So it will basically be a once a year camera like my travel shoes .

I hate all the 'whistles & bells' on the new stuff I buy today, once I figure out how to just make it just plain work I quit then and there . And yesterday when I was looking at these cameras the 'whistles & bells' options dazed me .

Once again, Thanks for all the info! Regards, Walter
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:00 AM

What can I do about photos that were accidently deleted? Can they be saved? Be careful about deleting and don't get in a hurry as I deleted all the photos of our last vacation to Glacier.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mcales, it depends on how many pictures you have taken on the same card since deleting the originals. If you took e.g 200 shots, then deleted them, and have taken only 10 pictures since, there is a high likelyhood that you will be able to recover them from the card using software such as Smartrecover or similar (Google CF image recovery).
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:42 AM

have you tried www.betterphoto.com?

they have short courses (4-wk) and 8wk courses that cover a variety of subjects - incl. digital. Looks like they cover the basics for beginners to the extreme for experts.

lots of great info - I would check it out?

sidenote: has anyone taken a class there and what is your feedback?
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:13 PM

I completely disagree with the AA battery cameras. I travelled with a friend whose batteries were completely running out all the time. She went thru all our batteries--close to 20 in just 2 weeks. Yes, go lithium. And, if you have one of the new lithium ion battery packs (the flat kind) always keep a spare.

As for the viewfinder, I agree completely. You cant see anything in strong sun. It's only when you "playback" that you can see what youve gotten. And, it's difficult when you give your camera to someone else to take the picture when they cant see what they have.

Ok, heres another question...tagging on...for when you get back from your trip: Know any good photo websites where people dont have to pay for downloads or prints? I'd like my friends and family to be able to download jpeg's if possible.

Anyone?
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 06:10 PM

I'm one of the techno morons who didn't WANT a digital camera, but of course received one for Mother's Day from her 2 daughters who often do that sort of thing to me. Anyway, it's a Canon Powershot A520, 4 pixels, and I have learned the basics pretty easily - and the pictures are great. It seems to be a good starter camera, and I had no trouble whatever downloading to my computer. I repeat, I am a techno moron!
This camera is a nice size, small enough to put in a pocket, but not too small to hold steadily, which I might have a problem with (as I'm getting close to that "shaky" age. This Canon is about your price range, and I would recommend it. The 16mb card that comes with the camera is of course no where near adequate. I bought a 128mb at Target quite reasonably. For my picture taking, I'm sure it will be OK, for now anyway (I'm mostly shooting my dogs!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -