Search

Cairo airport to Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cairo airport to Hotel

We will be flying Delta from JFK to Cairo. We did not take transfers with our tour and now I am concerned with the transportation available. We will be staying ant the Intercontinental Semiramis. We are seasoned travelers but never in this part of the world. What transports are available? Do we trust a cab? Don't want to start this trip with a bad experience. Any idea on cost?
thanks
bellac
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 01:54 PM

I would suggest contacting the hotel and asking for them to arrange transportation for you. Sorry - no idea on cost.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 05:29 PM

If you can, the best suggestion is to have meet and greet prearranged by your hotel. It's reassuring to be met by a driver holding up a sign with your name on it as you exit customs! In my case, I am an airline employee and travel on standby, so I can never really specify *when* I am arriving. I was Cairo last month, did not have transport prearranged. I just walked out to the arrivals area, there are many official reps wearing badges for taxi service. I asked at one of the official looking booths how much it would be to Zamalek and was told 100 LE (about 20usd) for a regular car or 135LE (27usd) for a mercedes. I said regular car was fine. (which it was, had A/C). I probably paid too much, but hey, after a 15hour flight, I didn't care. Besides which, 20 bucks for a 30 - 40 min cab ride isn't exorbitant! My friend, who arrived a few days later, paid 135 LE for a ride out to Giza at 3am.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 06:42 PM

When we arrived in Egypt for the 2nd time (after our Jordan) trip, our driver had a car accident in the car park (someone ran in to him) so he could not pick us up. As our rep went to see what had happened we waited on the sidewalk near the road outside the arrival hall. As this was our 'second time" arriving, we were way more confident. We were approached by many men asking if we wanted a taxi. We said no. To one I said "no, I don't need a cab as I am waiting for my friend". He said 'oh, it's really hot today, so your friend probably won't come, so perhaps it easier to get a cab". I said, like a seasoned Egyptian traveller "this isn't hot today" (it was about 35!!!!). He then asked if my friend was a local. I said yes my friend was Egyptian and I could see things ticking over in the man's head... "Egyptian friend... the weather won't be that hot... Egyptian friend would contact friends by phone.. etc." then he just walked off!

If I had to do my "first arrival" again, I would of dreaded arriving without a "meet/greet" and transfer arranged. It all seemed so daunting.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 10:11 PM

I had arranged transport, but I've read good things about Cairo Airport Shuttle, a private minibus/limo service you can arrange at the airport ( no prebook necessary). Fixed posted prices, and 90LE (regardless of number of pax) to most downtown hotels.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 10:59 PM

Alina555, where did you see this price of 90LE (regardless of number of pax) posted? I use Airport Shuttle all the time and while I don't disagree they will probably do it for 90LE, that might be construed as that THEY will look for more passengers to share the ride with, and I know they won't. That means if someone is traveling alone, they bear the cost themselves. Also a tip for the driver is not only nice, it is expected.
But even with all of that, I love Airport Shuttle - especially for return trips to the airport. Their vans are clean and they are generally RIGHT ON TIME.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 12:05 AM

I am going off their website - cairoshuttlebus.com. I just used it from my hotel to the airport (sitting in CAI right now), and they arrived 20 min early and the ride was safe, fast, and smooth. I gave 100LE, which the driver appreciated. When you call and make a booking, they ask how many people, and said their bus can accommodate up to 7 at the same fixed price. But yes, the vans are private, no other passengers with us.
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

I did call our hotel to arrange transport and they said the fee was 60US dollars. What do you think, too much? OK?
thanks
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 07:29 PM

$60 is too high in my opinion. As already mentioned in this thread, there are far cheaper options. You'll pay far less with a regular metered white cab ; even if they try to hustle you by driving out of the way I don't think it would get close to $60.