Search

Taxi from Cairo Airport

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxi from Cairo Airport

Simple question, I am catching the taxi to the Hotel from the airport..I have heard that it is chaos outside bagage claim to catch one..people come up and and take your bags without permission as if they are porters or people on the lookout for tourists to "help" . What are some tips to make this transition easier ? is there a lineup of legit cabs or do you have to hail one and weed the "bad guys" out ?
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:09 AM

About two years ago went to Cairo where there was Transport Desk at the airport for taking a taxi with cost known in advance. I think one needs to have plenty of humour in Egypt to enjoy the visit. You can also check with your hotel in Cairo about the choices of transport to their hotel and the cost. All hotels probably can arrange a taxi from the airport, so good to check in advance and especially if it is your first visit to Egypt.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:55 PM

The Cairo taxis were one of the most memorable parts of our visit! We just snagged one...
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Ahh ha...!! Thanks Ahmed and Momliz..as I expected then..do taxi cab drivers understand some english...? Or do they play sorta dumb and try to take you for a spin anyway..? And what is the best way to respectfully fend off anyway wannabe porters that grab your bags..?
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:54 PM

The black and white taxis aren't aroung at the airport like they used to be, so that issue isn't as bad as it once was. I do use the "Transport desk" like Ahmed talks about when I arrive. It is almost civilized and the cost is (sort of) known up front. You will have paid a fee to the desk and you will have a receipt, but that doesn't mean all the costs are paid for. You will need to tip the kid/man that handles your bags. The driver will want an additional tip. And even maybe the man that walks you outside to the car will want a tip. For the first time visitor it seems a bit much, but remember NOT one of these people is being paid much at all for their job. If you can give each one $1 that is enough (even if they indicate it isn't enough - just remember that is a tactic you will see LOTS here, in an effort to separate you from more cash)
The best thing about this transport/limo service is that they are probably going to take you to where you want to go.
The better alternative though is to see if your hotel offers a transport service. Come out of Customs and finding your name on a sign is a whole lot less stressful. You know someone is there to take care of you then in those first few confusing hours after long flights.
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

thank you Casual_Cairo ( debbie.?)...I am staying at the Hilton and they have a limo at 33US vs. the taxi at maybe 15-20US so I initailly didn't take their offer. Is the transport desk about what the hotel limos run or more like taxi service. Also The Hitlon told me to take the "yellow cabs" since they have meters..LOL..but I remarked to them now they could really take one for a 'spin"....!!!!!!
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:50 PM

My first question is WHAT Hilton? Since there is no more Nile Hilton, you might be at the Golf Resort, or the Ramses, or the World Trade Center. If you are at the Golf Resort, I would suck it up and pay the hotel to take you, because you are hell and gone out of Cairo, and there is no way any normal taxi will take you there for 15-20 USD. They may want twice that easily.

If it is one of the two others, take the limo service from the airport. The cars are NOT stretch limos like you may be thinking. Here they call any 4 dr sedan a limo. It might be a Mercedes, but it might be a Dawoo instead. You won't know until you get there.
Old May 10th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

I am staying at the Ramses Hilton. What is the advantage of taking the airport limo...and how much does it cost? How do I find it at the airport.? I appreciate the info and tips.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:32 AM

The advantage is you don't have to mess around with a car that might take you to the wrong hotel, so long as you are clear that you are going to the RAMSES HILTON, and don't just say Hilton, as you see there are several.
Another advantage is the car will be clean, have seat belts and might have a driver with some English skills.

Not knowing which terminal you will arrive at I can't say for sure how you will find these cars, but generally they find you. They will ask if you need a taxi. If they take you to a desk where a price is quoted and a receipt is written out, you've found the right desk. If they don't find you, you should see a kiosk in the middle of the airport - probably after you exit the Customs area that says LIMO or something to that effect. If you see one that says AIRPORT SHUTTLE, that is a good one. They have nice vans and usually only take one customer or job at a time - meaning you won't drive all over town dropping others off at their hotels first.