Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Taxi from Cairo aiport to city center hotels...how much is reasonable?

Taxi from Cairo aiport to city center hotels...how much is reasonable?

Nov 24th, 2003, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Taxi from Cairo aiport to city center hotels...how much is reasonable?

I'm ready to book my Egypt tour with Globus (10 day tour)starting on March 5. Due to frequent flyers miles flight options, I will need a prenight hotel reservation, arriving at 1:00am. Is it better to rent a limousine (although more expensive) or to hassle for a taxi so late in the night? How much will be reasonable to pay? Thanks to Sandi for sending me the address for the now famous in Fodor's world Papyrus store in Cairo.
Nov 24th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Dear Gilawi: Last year my family and I faced the same dilemma. We arrived in Cairo from London at about midnight, passed through customs and immigration, and into the terminal where we were mobbed by those offering transportation into the City. Having previously visited Cairo many years earlier, I suspected this would be the case and had my mind set on paying no more than 50 Egyptian Pounds (about $11 to $12 at last year's exchange rate) for the trip into town, although I suspected they'd start off asking for something in the 100 Egyptian Pound range. Much to my shock, one of the driver representatives, when I enquired as to the price, quoted me 40 Egyptian Pounds for the trip to our hotel. I was so ready to fight for a bargain that I was stunned speechless!! We then followed him outside the terminal, across an abandoned parking lot, over a couple of concrete barriers and into a second parking lot where a car was sitting there, with a driver, idling. We got into the car, paid the guy his 40 Egyptian Pounds, they conversed with one another and then completed some paperwork, all in Arabic. My wife and son (neither of whom had previously been in the Middle East and both of whom were quite taken back by all this) asked if I knew what I was doing and I (unconvincingly probably) answered "yes." Anyway, after passing through a guard station at the perimiter of the airport parking lots and after a mad drive through ferocious traffic (yes, even at 1:00 a.m.!!!) we eventually saw the lights of the Cairo Marriott off in the distance through the smog-choked skies. All-in-all a good experience and one we'll certainly never forget, especially my (then) 17-year old son. Needless to say, I provided the driver with a nice tip upon our arrival at the Marriott. Anyway, back to your question, I would say you shouldn't pay anything more than a maximum of 50 to 60 Egyptian Pounds for the transfer to a hotel in Central Cairo. Of course, if we had known Arabic, we probably could have gotten the ride for 20 Egyptian Pounds. Have a great trip --- we spent almost 3 weeks there, post-9/11, and loved it.
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:03 PM
sandi

Contact the hotel where you'll be staying and ask if they could send a car to pick you up. There will likely be a fee, but it probably won't be much. Use the above post as an idea to base what to expect when hotel quotes a price (est.40+/- Egypt.pounds, about USD$10) and you'll know whether price from hotel is something you want to spend.

And with the hotel picking you up, there will be someone waiting with a sign with your name, no hassle with taxi drivers, and you're on your way to a good nites rest.

Feb 4th, 2004, 07:30 AM

How was the Marriot? I'm torn as to whether to stay in central Cairo, or go for the security.
Feb 4th, 2004, 09:29 PM

FYI - The current exchange rate is about 6.1 Egyptian Pounds (LE) per 1 USD. So, 60 LE is about $10.
Feb 5th, 2004, 02:08 AM

I think the best you option for you is ask your travel agency for a taxi waitig for you.
Otherwise, you can order a cab to your hotel.

The taxis working for a hotel are better than those in the streets. Last year I had a taxi working for me all night long for just 100 pounds (he took me in Giza area to a boat in the Nile, he waited for me during 3 hours and took me back to Giza at 1 a.m.)

Search this Thread