Search

Bittersweet Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bittersweet Trip

We're leaving tomorrow for our safari to Kenya and Tanzania. We're packed (probably too much) and just have few last minute things to do tonite. This will be a bitter sweet trip for me. I flew home last w/e b/c my mother had been put in the hospital. We brought her home on Tuesday and brought hospice in the next day. I sat with my mother on her beautiful patio and talked about the trip and how I shouldn't go. With a fierce look in her eye, she told me to go and enjoy my trip and she would be fine; life is too short and to enjoy each moment. My mother died Saturday, 8/20/11 at the age of 83. I'll always be grateful for the sense of adventure and independence she gave me.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:36 PM

That is a sweet/sad tale. But you know that your mother wants you to have a wonderful trip, so I hope you can do that.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:36 PM

Deepest sympathy on your loss. Losing your mother is a terrible experience. Hope that being in the cradle of humanity will bring a measure of solace.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:28 PM

Yes this is a bittersweet trip for you.

I can fully understand ,I lost my mother , whom I used to call long distance from the many places I travelled to.

Two years ago when I did my Kenya , Tazanaia Safaria, I recall vividly, standing near where the pool is at the Serengeti Serena lodge...

and looking over the vast plains of the Serengeti and saying

"Mom ,do you know I am here in Africa thinking about you."

Your mother will be in your heart forever, I agree with what she said to you:

"Go and enjoy the Trip" ..

and talk to her from various places on your trip.

Let me wish you a happy, healthy enjoyable trip as you take pictures of the Big Five
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:32 PM

My sympathies on your loss. My Mom died in March while I was traveling. She had fought cancer for 10 years and her rule was always "Go!" and if I was in Africa when she passed away, I was not to be told until I returned home. I'm sure you'll think of her often as you make your way through Africa; I trust they will be fond memories.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope Kenya gives you joy even in your sorrow. I think it will.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:40 PM

My sympathies in the loss of your dear mother. She would want you to enjoy your trip. Think of her during the special moments that will surely be plentiful.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:33 PM

I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. Remarkable how parents, despite some not so great situations, urge us to go and have fun. The sense of adventure and independence, great gifts she gave to you and an enduring legacy.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:51 PM

So very sorry for your loss.

Yes, go, enjoy and think of her smiling down on you in your travels.

Keep safe.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:22 PM

Sorry for your loss. Your Mom would want you to enjoy your trip. She'll never be far from your thoughts - her way of going with you.

We have the same arrangement when we travel.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So sorry for your loss. My mother fell very ill shortly before I was to go on a trip to the Canadian Rockies and Alaska. She insisted I not change my trip. She passed away a week before my trip. I felt her spirit with me in all the beauty of nature I was experiencing. I hope it is the same for you.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 05:59 AM

So sorry for your loss. I also lost my mom this past May at 93, but she always said 'go' And, like ShayTay, she always told us not to tell the others (brothers/sister), especially if we were traveling... time enough when we returned home to mourn.

Go and know that she'll be smiling on you knowing you're having a wonderful time. Death happens, but so too does life and she wants you to enjoy it.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 06:50 AM

So sorry for your loss. What a great tribute to do what she asked and taught you, "be grateful for the sense of adventure and independence she gave me."
Safe travels and fond memories.
Peace
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 06:57 AM
TC

We are at that time in our lives -- when our loving parents will blaze a new trail ahead of us. It is obvious that your Mother was a great lady who's values and love of life live on in you. Keep it well and pass it on. Drink a toast to her while watching an amazing sunset and know that she is seeing the same beauty through your heart.

With deepest sympathy for your loss.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 01:50 PM

So Sorry for your loss I lost my Mom too very young sadly.

Over time one day at a time good memories stay and the bad go

I take solace in knowing she travels with me spiritually always

And materially too through my DNA I am connected to her always.

So in that sense she is with me wherever I go.