Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Between the following Cape Winelands Hotels...which one is best???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the best dining and lodging experience should I choose...<BR><BR>a) La Couronne<BR>b) Lanzerac Manor<BR>c) Le Quartier Francaise<BR>d) The River Manor<BR>e) None Of The Above (suggestions, please)<BR><BR>I am leaning towards either La Couronne or Lanzerac Manor but I am very open to other suggestions.<BR><BR>Both The Grande Roche and Klein Oliphantshoek are closed in June, otherwise I would likely stay at one of the two.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:00 PM

Roccco,<BR><BR>Sorry for my late reply to your original request for other ideas once you told me that Klein Olifantshoek was closed during the period of your stay as I was touring on the garden Route and just did not have the time to look at the Fodors page.<BR><BR>In terms of where you should eat or stay let me mention that imho the quality order of the restaurants that you speak of in he winelands would be:<BR><BR>1. la Couronne<BR>2. Le Quartier<BR>3 Lanzerac Manor<BR>4. River Manor<BR><BR>With that said I would not opt for any of the 4 above another little gem in the form of Cathbert Country House. I have stayed there on so many occasions in the past and it simply is heaven. When I stayed there last week 2 readers of the Fodors page came over to me in the dining room and could not stop thanking me for recommending the venue as they enjoyed it so much.<BR><BR>Cathbert Country House is a marvellous accommodation venue. It is so peaceful and tranquil as the venue is set high up in the Franschhoek mountains. One does not hear a car or normal city life sounds as all one hears is nature around you and to top this all the scenery is to die for. The rooms are well appointed and spacious. Anne food is fantastic too and a meal at Cathbert is certainly one to remember. The location is absolutely first class in terms of wanting to explore the Winelands. Your hosts will be Robert and Ann Morley and they are marvellous people. In my opinion, as tourism professional, I think Cathbert represents an absolute delight to want to stay and dine at. Please be aware that the dining room does NOT operate on Sunday nights<BR><BR>G to http://www.cathbert.co.za where you will see more of the venue. I have also taken some pics at the guesthouse and I set up a special separate website for you to use so as to help you in seeing what a gem Cathbert truly is. Go to http://www.cathbert1.cjb.net to see the site that I set up. <BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Selwyn,<BR><BR>Thank you very much. I was waiting for you to bring up Cathbert Country House again sometime in the discussion and when you did not, I figured that their service may have slipped.<BR><BR>I was considering adding a 5th night, at my own expense at Twelve Apostles Hotel, but it would cost me $315 USD (2,400 ZAR). The only reason for adding a 5th night would be so that my wife would not be inconvenienced by having to move to a different hotel for only a single night. However, for a savings of $200 USD I don't think she will feel inconvenienced in the least.<BR><BR>Now...I think that the restaurant at Klein Oliphantshoek is still open during June and only the lodging portion is closed. If their restaurant is open in June, would that still be your #1 dining recommendation??? And in case they are closed, what would be your #2 and #3 dining recommendation???<BR><BR>Thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:31 PM

Roccco,<BR><BR>If you stay at Cathbert then I would dine at Cathbert even if Klein Olifantshoek is open for meals (I somehow or other doubt this). If you stay anywhere else I would dine at Klein Olifantshoek if they are open for meals.<BR><BR>My next choices for great dining would be Monneuax (http://www.ecl.co.za/) followed by Le Couronne and then Le Quartier Francaise <BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>[email protected]<BR><BR>
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 06:06 PM

We stayed at Quartier Francais about two years ago on our honeymoon and I loved it. I liked the location in town although that could be a negative for some and for some restaurants the area closer to Stellenbosch might work well. <BR>We found the service at QF to be wonderful, they arranged some special meetings with winemakers and the resaurant was fabulous. When we asked to look at the dinner menu at breakfast, and in talking to the manager I expresed surprise that they didn't have a tasting menu... she disappeared into the kitchen reappeared five minuted later and said they would do a special tasing menu for us that evening...Incredible!
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

(topping, hoping WTB sees this)

Welltraveledbrit,

I know I am not supposed to be on the Africa forum and we have chatted recently on the India forum, but I am just so confused by India right now and the Africa bug will not release its bite, thus explaining my presence over here!

I figure I will wait until the Camel Festival and do India in late October? of next year.

But, the reason for bringing this thread back to life is because I am interested in hearing more about the location of Le Quartier Francais. I am considering a late March/early April visit to Cape Town/Cape Winelands/Sabi Sand, and Le Quartier Francais is atop my list for a 2 night Cape Winelands stay.

While I enjoyed the Lanzerac Manor last year, and found even the standard room to be fabulous, I do think the location is a bit out of the way. If I am not mistaken, isn't Le Quartier Francais right in the middle of town? I have no interest in renting a vehicle and would like to stay at a convenient place where we are able to walk places.

Anyway, hope your India planning is going better than my own. I do have a great itinerary available to me, and there is still a chance that I may take it in February or March, but right now (is it any surprise?!) I am leaning towards South Africa, since I have not been to Southern Africa in ages!

Thanks and if anybody else has feedback on the locations of the top lodging in the Cape Winelands, I would appreciate any feedback you are able to provide.