La Loerie Restaurant in Knysna CLOSING

Old May 5th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Loerie Restaurant in Knysna CLOSING

Researching restaurants for our trip and read a few recommendations for La Loerie. Found their website and they have added this page:

http://www.laloerie.co.za/html/the_future.html

Apparently their restaurant will close in August 2006 after 17 years and they will be running a guesthouse. I have emailed them for a June dinner reservation....we'll see what reply I get
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:03 PM

ALadyNCal,

Yes the restaurant is closing down however I think that you still will find a positive response from Sandy about your booking in June.

If Sandy and Abdel cannot accommodate you then be assured that they have another idea up their sleeve which you might be able to participate in however I unfortunately cannot publisize this information at this stage. The reason for closing down is that the owner of their building is knocking it down so as to start up a new development and the rental that he wants is way above their means. It is a great loss to Knysna in my opinion however what Sandy and Abdel have planned for the future is very special so watch this space and I will keep you all posted as things happen.

In the meantime a wonderful Knysna restaurant to visit that very few know of at this stage is Firefly. Del Hadlow and her daughter Sanchia have come up with a great little hidden secret in the form of a 20+ seater restaurant that speciliases in the most delicious curry that you have ever tasted. Their food ideas are uniques and Dell has some very wonderful whacky ideas that she has used in her restaurant which she vows will remain small no matter what.

Firefly came onto the scene about 2 years ago and I started to visit the venue regularly with my visitors who all loved it to bits. Slowly but surely the word started getting around and business picked up for the mother and daughter team and then at the end of last year they hit the Top 100 list in the SA wine magazine (http://www.winemag.co.za/content/onl...release.aspand) and the news started spreading much quicker. Funnilly enough the restaurant still does not run to capacity level every night however it is very wise to book ahead of time ESPECIALLY in the Winter months because Dell does not operate every night during the off season. Firefly does not have a website mail and works entirely on word of mouth. Email= [email protected] but dont expect an instant response. Telephone is the best way to make contact at 0443821490 HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?from=...5024180C684062

Hope you enjoy the venue if your visit them when you visit Knysna however we shall speak a lot more in Cape Town before you travel to Knysna.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Selwyn I'll follow up with the Firefly as I do have two nights!
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Well, this is strike two for the first week of June + getting dinner reservations This was the reply to my email request:

So sorry but La Loerie will be closing permanetly on the 31 May 2006.

I also received a reply from Le Bon Vivant in Franschhoek that they would be closed the month of June... It's just frustrating that we are missing both places by just a few days. Oh well -- I know we won't starve ;-)
Old May 6th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Hello,

Sorry to hear that La Loerie is closing -- it will be missed. But Firefly definitely sounds like a place to visit next time I'm in Knysna.

Cheers,
Julian