Honeymoon in S. Africa: Places in WineCountry

Apr 21st, 2003, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon in S. Africa: Places in WineCountry

We are planning our honeymoon in S. Africa which will begin on December 31st...We are planning to go to 2 private game reserves (where we will spend the most of our hotel budget) but also wanted to spend a few days in the Wine Country. Any suggestions of nice, romantic places that are luxurious but not over the top in terms of costs.
Apr 21st, 2003, 09:35 AM

Hi Bleff,

A wonderful place for honeymooners to stay in the Cape Winelands is a little gem in the form of Cathbert Country House. I have stayed there on so many occasions in the past and it simply is heaven. When I stayed there 2 weeks ago 2 readers of the Fodors page came over to me in the dining room and could not stop thanking me for recommending the venue as they enjoyed it so much. One of these readers were on honeymoon.

Cathbert Country House is a marvellous accommodation venue and it certainly will NOT hurt your pocket extensively. It is so peaceful and tranquil as the venue is set high up in the Franschhoek mountains. One does not hear a car or normal city life sounds as all one hears is nature around you and to top this all the scenery is to die for. The rooms are well appointed and spacious. The location is absolutely first class in terms of wanting to explore the Winelands. Your hosts will be Robert and Ann Morley and they are marvellous people. Ann's food is fantastic too and a meal at Cathbert is certainly one to remember.In my opinion, as tourism professional, I think Cathbert represents an absolute delight to want to stay and dine at. Please be aware that the dining room does NOT operate on Sunday nights

Go to http://www.cathbert.co.za where you will see more of the venue. I have also taken some pics at the guesthouse and I set up a special separate website for you to use so as to help you in seeing what a gem Cathbert truly is. Go to http://www.cathbert1.cjb.net to see the site that I set up.

Hope this helps.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]

Apr 21st, 2003, 01:55 PM

Selwyn, that's really lovely that you got to meet some of the people you have helped with your advice in person!

I'm just hoping you don't get bored of all of this before it's my turn - maybe 2005 I think.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:38 PM

Hi Kavey,

Thanks for the very kind words. My response is "Roll on 2005".

You talk about boredom setting in... Oh my there is no chance of this happening as there could be no better goal in life to want to ensure that visitors to Cape Town and the Garden Route see and do the "right things" while visiting us in our wonderful land. It also is wonderful to be able to boast about one's hometown and its surrounding areas and believe me Cape Town and the Garden Route certainly are worth shouting gleefully about for a lifetime!

Go to my website and look for the Gliksten family tour (March 2003) on my photo page. Read young Hannah's thank you mail to me at the bottom of the page. It is mails like this from a 10 year old that makes tour guiding my city and the Garden Route so worthwhile. Helping folk on Fodors to achieve the same as the Glikstens (as well as so many other wonderful visiting folk) is just as worthy a function to me. To help others to enjoy there SA vacation is such a warm and fantastic experience that there could be no better vocation in life in my opinion. With all of the above said how can one ever become bored with this lifestyle?? ) ) So as I said in the opening of this mail "roll on 2005"

To one and all please come visit us so that we can prove that Cape Town simply is the greatest. ) )

Selwyn Davidowitz.
[email protected]

May 27th, 2003, 02:52 PM
flying_scot

Only one place for it. Honeymoon cottage at La Petite Ferme in Franschhoek supping wine from their own winery with gorgeous views over the valley from your own terrace and plunge pool.

Go to http://www.timeforafrica.com/southafrica/petitferme.htm

Phone no is 021/876-3016

Book it now though.

Enjoy............

May 27th, 2003, 03:09 PM

Selwyn,
I've visited your site a number of times, and read the wonderful feedback from people such as Hannah.
I am determined to visit SA as soon as possible but don't know for sure if it will be 2005 as both myself and my hubby do also want to balance our wonderful trips to Africa with equally enjoyable trips elsewhere around the world.
But, regardless of whether it's 2005, or 2006, I look forward to chatting back and forth with you during the planning and to meeting you during the trip itself.
Kavey
May 27th, 2003, 05:14 PM

Hi Kavey,

Thanks for your very kind words. Its mails like yours that make it all so worthwhile to help you as well as so many others on this page.

Whether it be 2005,6 or 7 PG our paths WILL cross somewhere on African terrafirma.

Once again a BIG THANK YOU.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]

Search this Thread