Search

Best time to see Victoria Falls

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Jed
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best time to see Victoria Falls

I've searched, but have been unable to find the answer.

What is the best times of year to see VF in action from the Zambia side? Thanks.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Probably April or May. They get their rain in their summer.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 12:51 PM
aby

Jed

best time is BEFORE you visit Iguazu Falls !!

a detailed answer:
http://zimbabwe.safari.co.za/best-ti...ria-falls.html

aby
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Jed
Original Poster

Thanks, aby, that's a great help. It looks to me that the best time may not be in Oct-Nov, since the water is low and the temp is high. Will now consider Apr-May.

We missed Iguazu f\Falls when we were in Argentina, and probably will not go back. So we definitely see VF first.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Most people combine game viewing with Victoria Falls. Unfortunately the best times for game viewing are opposite from the Falls viewing.

Game viewing is best when it is dry and the animals gather around watering holes. Also, it is easier to spot game when it is dryer since the vegetation is not as thick.

I was told by our tour guide at Victoria Falls that during the rainy season the spray at the falls is so heavy that you can't even see the falls. You just see "rain". I don't know if this is true since I was there during the dry season but the guide was from Zimbabwe so he should know.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 01:44 PM
sandi

We visited in November and it was wonderful. At least you could see something. Of course, the Zim side was better, great photo ops. It was rather dry on the Zam end.

While it must be amazing during high-flow, you can't really see anything. You can hear the Falls from miles away, see the mist for miles, need raincoats to walk anywhere near the Falls. And, it's kind of difficult to take pics with all that water getting into everything.

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 03:01 PM

We were there this past February and the the Falls were in full flood. I've also been there in August, when they were much reduced; the Zambian end was mostly dry. Even if you were staying in Zambia when the Falls were low, you could cross the bridge and view the Zim side of the Falls. In February, it was REALLY wet, but the mists parted enough to see the Falls and get a few photos. You can see those photos at http://sharontaylor.smugmug.com.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 09:35 PM

Def want to view from the Zimbabwe side, it is much better. We saw the falls this past Oct. Water level was at 5% but still an amazing sight. I've heard the same as has been stated, when the water is plentiful the viewing is difficult due to 'rain' mist etc.. Even at 5% I keep my 'good' camera covered with a plastic bag and took pics with our smaller one. Enjoy!

momofmany