Been to Kenya lately?

Jan 29th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Been to Kenya lately?

Two more questions for the group:

1) Apart from Tortillis, are there any other nice tented camps in Amboseli that you would recommend?

2) On Lake Naivasha, does anyone have a preference between the Lake Naivasha Country Club and the Naivasha Sopa Lodge?

Jan 29th, 2006, 08:46 PM
aby

Hi BigLion !
2) i would consider also "The Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort"
but undoubtedly my choice would be <Crater Lake Lodge> situated inside a small caldera ("crater") on the margin of a small lake (!) having flamingoes (sometimes) & fantastic observations of Colobus Monkeys, all inside a farm where u can see some game as well around ...
Amazing setting not only for honey-moon
aby

Jan 30th, 2006, 08:07 AM

1. Not inside Amboseli, but nearby is Porini camp on Selenkay Conservancy. I haven't stayed there but the camp came highly recommended by some veteran safarigoers we met at Kicheche.

2. We stopped at Lake Naivasha CC for lunch one day and it looked OK, nothing special. It's set back some distance from the lake shore so I don't think you get any lake views from the cottages or main lodge. I didn't like what I saw of this whole southeast side of the lake where the Naivasha CC and Sopa are located. It seemed very overdeveloped to me. I think aby's suggestions are better. Or if you don't mind not being directly on the lake, I enjoyed my stay at Malu. They have 6 cottages set on a farm/forest reserve with 3 resident troops of colobus monkeys and other game. Food is excellent.
Jan 30th, 2006, 12:47 PM
aby

@ if talking outside Ambo - Ol Kanjau Camp - never stayed there, though
http://www.kenyaonetours.com/camps/c...Camp,_Amboseli

still further, if u'd like to tour volcanic Chyulu hills (a beauty) or proceed to Tsavo W - is Ol Donyo Wuas
http://www.bush-homes.co.ke/OlDonyoWuas.htm
have heared good feedback

@@ The good side of Lake Naivasha CC: it is a short boat-trip away from Crescent Island - this way u can spend half a day walking on the island (actually a peninsula) and the boat doesn't have to be rented for all those hours. it drops u goes back & comes to pick u up again at the time u specify ... good birding on the club's grounds
Jan 30th, 2006, 03:47 PM

The Naivasha Sopa is great. The rooms were huge.

Unfortuntely checked in there late at night and left early morning. They told us that hippos wander the grounds at certain times, but I didn't see any of that.

Search this Thread