Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lake Crescent Lodge: Rooms? Any recent stays? (Washington)

Mar 30th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Okay...based on our routing, can have a Singer Tavern or else only option if we hit ONP from the south is a Marymere Dbl Queen room, or Storm King Queen.

Advantage to THIS plan, is we might gain a half to full day more for exploring ONP
vs. a tighter schedule w/our driving from the North to South route. (total plan...Nor Cal to San Juan Islands)

Can't believe things are booked this early!! (mid-May) Difference in options is w/our south to North route...
we hit Lake Crescent on a weekend vs. not. So that's why only rooms left are Marymere or Storm Kings.

Are they just so motel-like as to make a stay at Lake Crescent less 'atmospheric'?
So...a one-night stay enough?

W/other plan...we'd probably stay 2 nights there (w/late arrival first night) since the Singer we got would be a little more unusual, I suppose. (altho' not like a Roosevelt cabin which are all gone no matter the time period)

Torn. Are room differences enough to create a whole different 'feel' to our stay, do you think? Woman there did some maneuvering to get us a nice Singer room
for the other plan. (then I suddenly realized if we drove straight to ONP from Oregon coast, we might gain a day or half day) Thanks for any thoughts/feedback on recent stays at Lake Crescent!
Appreciate it.
Mar 30th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Also would love comparisons between Lake Crescent Lodge and Lake Quinault.

Setting, rooms, etc.
Preference if we can only experience one?
Apr 1st, 2007, 09:12 AM

Staying at Lk Crescent is not about the rooms, IMO. It's about the location. The Singer Cottages are very basic, as are the motel rooms so I wouldn't stress if you can only get a motel room. The only room category that is possibly worth changing your trip around for would be the Fireplace cabins but since those are all booked up anway, it's a moot point.

The reason to stay more than one night is to use it as a base for hiking, etc.

And as far as Lk Quinault vs. Lk Crescent--I think both have beautiful locations but just ok rooms (as is the case with most national park lodges it seems). My choice would be driven by what I was out there to do (what hikes, etc).
Apr 1st, 2007, 09:28 AM

As I recall, Marymere rooms are right on the lake and, if I'm right, that is where I would book pronto. (There used to be a map of the "lodge" on the web site, but I can't find it this morning.)
Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you guys!
Before I saw your note just now, I booked w/Lake C on Saturday.

Just went w/the original idea, so would be in a Singer cabin...but one w/a slightly better view, I guess according to the woman there. An end unit, I think.

Booked for 3 nights for now, altho' I originally thought we'd do the loop & maybe stay in Forks one night. I'm thinking it's going to be mighty hard to find one night on Mem. Day wknd anywhere, so may just stick w/3 at Lake C & base hikes out of there, as suggested instead.

Already tried one place in Forks & they said 2-night minimum.

Can drive home directly from Lake C. through Port Angeles, I suppose & skip Lake Quinault this time around.

Will see as the time goes, but I calculated 3-4 hrs from Lake C to Lake Q. That's not counting sight-seeing stops. I fear having to get to Salem, Oregon that day we leave, coupled w/6-8 hrs of exploring would just be too long of a day. I think it's 5 hrs to Salem from Lake Quinault. Basically the same from both lakes....
but if skipping lower half of park, would not add on the major sight-seeing if leaving from Lake C.
Could do Hurricane Ridge on the day out, I suppose.
Will see, as time passes...
Thanks!