Search

Arusha National Park

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arusha National Park

Can anyone offer advice about spending time in Arusha National Park? I have heard it is one of the places you can see the Black and White Colobus monkeys. We are staying at the Arusha Coffee Lodge and have a full day in this area so I was thinking of arranging a tour for part of a day. (Although I can't seem to find a map that situates the distance. ) WOuld welcome any direction or suggestions. This park was not included in my itinerary but it seems quite beautiful from what I have read.
thanks
Nancie
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:40 PM

I was doing some research on the park as I had some time to kill in Arusha and was going to spend a day there...I was in contact with Green Footprints adventures out of Tanzania, and they had some fun, adventurous ways to spend a day or half day there, hikes, canoeing, etc. This is who was helping me:
Mirjam Younan <[email protected]
I have not actually used them so cannot personally recommend them for anything but information, but they have a good website to read up on them, and they are listed and talked about in the Bradt guide to Tanzania, which is a great guide.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 06:17 PM

We did the day trip with Green Footprint this past June and enjoyed it. It could be a bit disappointing if done after your safari because it's a small park and there's not a lot of action. However, we thought it quite pretty--lush and green--and had fun in the canoes. Our guide was Herman. As I was sitting up front with him, I ended up chatting quite a bit and thought he was a very nice, interesting person. Easy on the eyes, too.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 09:04 AM
aby

in another thread about the NP i've written (with few changes):

well, Arusha Park is a well kept secret

Tha Momela Lakes r fantastic:
different colours of the different lakes, plus Flamingoes..very nice view points...
Try to be there at low light {dusk/dawn}

I simply love the Ngurdoto-side's Montane Forest. Best place to see Colobus Monkeys (Better than Aberdares or Mt. Kenya) plus Sykes Monkeys and forest birds . Usually, u can observe quietly as few people visit the park

Need a romantic meal? take a picnic to eat on a table viewing Ngurdoto - It is a Caldera, kind of a mini-Ngorongoro

for the first game-drive u wouldn't appreciate the ease of finding Duikers (small forest antelopes) but return to Arusha (in the future) after a few Safaris in other parks (with hardly any sightings)...

Here u shall see your first Giraffes (many!) , Buffaloes, Wart Hogs etc'
you can do a little foot safari with a ranger (Ask to see the strangler figs) to a small water fall

AND there is a 4X4 track which goes up Mount Meru - only place you can reach the Afro-Alpine Belt (well if u r not climbing Kili) !!!

many people skip this park

IMHO it is a big mistake

aby

Old Dec 4th, 2006, 09:27 AM

I agree with aby, it's a great place to start your safari. The terrain is different from what you'll see elsewhere...lush and green. I've seen the black and white colobus monkeys each time I've been there...blue monkeys, too. There is a walk you can do back to a waterfall, accompanied by an armed ranger, which is great. You'll see game along the way. We came across a herd of giraffe on our way out. Two were "neck fighting." The park is close to Arusha, but we took a picnic lunch and spent most of the day there.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments! I have reached out to GreenFootprints and will let you know what I find. I have read several reveiws that mention the hike back to the waterfall...

nancie
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 12:35 PM
bat

nancie:
I, too, used Green Footprints for a day trip with guide Herman and canoeing at the beginning of our trip. We enjoyed it and would recommend the company. If you want more details you can read about it in my trip report in the East Africa trip index thread.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 08:14 PM

We did are entire trip through green footprints. Our first day was spend in Arusha N.P and we did the Canoe trip. It was really nice, and pretty, small. It was our first taste of Africa and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The guides were all excellent and professional through GF safaris. Let me know if you have any other questions.
julie
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 09:14 PM

After reading this thread I am also thinking of spending some time in Arusha National Park. Any other information about Green Footprints would be appreciated. Julie I would love to hear about your trip using Green Footprints.