Search

Rwanda Gorilla Safari

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rwanda Gorilla Safari

Has anyone used Volcanoes Safaris for gorilla trekking? We're planning a trip to Rwanda in August of 2012. Thanks!
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Yes, in Aug of 2009. I used them for 4 gorilla visits and lots more in both Rwanda and Uganda during a 3 week trip. Two different guides, both excellent. Everything was great. I stayed in low end lodging that was very nice and in great locations to help ease the cost of the trip.

Hillary Clinton, Rahm Emanuel, and Joe Biden used Volcanoes too for gorilla tracking.

The whole big report is here.
http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...eek-safari.cfm
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Atravelynn, thanks for your reply. I read your trip report for Rwanda and it was very informing. May I ask who you booked the Akagera National Park with? I've been on safari's in Kenya and Tanzania, would I find Akagera worth it? Thanks!
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 07:57 PM

Volcanoes did the whole trip: Akagera, Nyungwe, PNV, plus the Uganda part.

I chose to include Akagera for 2 reasons. #1 Because I wanted a day up front after my international flights, prior to the primate treks. Going to Akagera first made sense to add an extra night. I stretched it to 2 nights.

#2 The other reason I wanted to see Akagera was on a previous Rwanda visit, the guides would open up a map at the conclusion of each gorilla visit and point out the other places to visit in Rwanda such as Akagera and Nyungawe. I was impressed with their promotion of their country and Rwanda's resolve to advance its tourist business. I wanted to go to these other places and Akagera was one of them.

Akagera does not have the variety or abundance of animals found in Kenya or Tanzania. It does offer a decent chance of seeing the Shoebill Stork, if you have a guide who knows birds. The birds were one of the outstanding features of the park. The motorboat trip was really nice and very personalized. Great views of huge crocs.

The terrain, with the lakes and huge abundance of water, is attractive and the park has huge potential. I'd like to go back in about a decade and see the changes. The enthusiasm of the Volcanoes National Park staff years ago piqued my interest in Akagera and I was pleased to finally be able to visit this vast and appealing park.

If you go to Akagera expecting interesting birds, nice landscape, and some views of hoofed species, you'll have a good trip. If you are hoping for animals in similar abundance to Nakuru, Amboseli, Tarangire, Manyara, you might be disappointed.
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. I do think I'll add Akagera to our itinerary.
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 04:12 PM

Please let us know your impressions when you get back.