arrive to JRO ,can you view the Mt.

Oct 29th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

arrive to JRO ,can you view the Mt.

I'm curious : Iv'e to Tanzania and never really saw the Kilimanjaro....(I know the best view is from Amboseli but I've never been there)/
We always came fron Nairobi by car, this time we will arrive with international flight to Kilimanjaro airport.I wonder if we can see it from the plane? I thank who ever used this apt and can tell me.
Oct 29th, 2004, 11:17 AM
sandi

The only photo I have of Kili is the one taken from the plane when leaving Nairobi to the Seychelles. There were plenty of clouds surrounding the mountain if one were looking from the ground and this would be the same whether looking from Amboseli or if in Kili or Arusha, but always dependent on the weather. I our case, being above the clouds the two peaks are clearly visible. So I think this is a very good possibility, especially from the air. Hope you do.

Oct 29th, 2004, 11:23 AM

In theory, yes. JRO is quite close to the mountain. But I say "in theory" because (a) the mountain is often covered in clouds, and (b) if you're coming in on the KLM flight from Amsterdam, as I did recently, it arrives after dark.
Oct 30th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

-Sandi-I know there is no guarantee but.. mid November in Amboseli-any chances? and what do you think about the 'scenic flights ' over Kili that are offered by outfitters?
-aag2000-thanks for your answers here and to the question I posted directly to you in other topic.
Oct 30th, 2004, 04:45 AM
sandi

hamitzer - if it's a clear day there is a possibility, but when we've been in November, we never got more then a quick peek of the top - very very briefly. Alot depends on the weather, so one never knows.

Am not familiar with companies that do scenic flights, so cannot comment. Then again, personally, I wouldn't be getting into a small plane (especially never a helicopter, if these companies use them) to fly around a mountain - too many variables with air currents.

Search this Thread