Search

Arathusa Safari Lodge?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arathusa Safari Lodge?

We're planning a visit for Feb/March and want to spend 3 nights doing a safari in the Sabi Sands. Our agent has suggested the Arathusa Safari Lodge. If anyone has stayed here or has information on this lodge, we'd appreciate your feedback!
Thanks
Ellie
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Here is my info, which is a bit indirect. I met the managers/guide this past summer in Botswana. The husband (Jaco) is the guide and they both manage the property. They were on a safari-holiday as guests, along with a couple that come yearly to Arathusa. Delightful people, Jaco was highly enthusiastic about the bush, and quite funny. I'd consider going there in the future after meeting them.

BUT, I am not sure if they will be at Arathusa in the near future because a baby was on the way. Jaco may just have a short leave, but I don't know.

But even with different managers, the area can still be productive game-wise. This was the lodge chosen by the French guy who played the serious side kick in the Steve Martin Pink Panther movie. He rented the whole thing out for a New Years family safari a few years ago. And he could have chosen anywhere.

Arathusa is near Elephant Plains & that has had some good reviews. It shares a boundary with the legendary Mala Mala.

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 06:38 PM
santharamhari

Sounds like they use some of the northern Sabi Sands Traversing areas for their drives (around Simbambilli) should be good.......good leopards here also....

Hari

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

TTT
Appreciate the feedback. As we hope to book next week, any additional feedback is welcomed!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:16 PM

I think you would be better off at Simbambili. I have been to both camps and much prefer Simbambili. Jaco Buys, the fantastic guide mentioned in the first response, is now with Safari Rangers doing bush walk safaris in Kruger Park.