Hunting in Timbavati stopped for now

Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Hunting in Timbavati stopped for now

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewt...51f3df42aac377

If you are planning to visit the Kruger-area, please read the thread above.

It appears Timbavati, Klaserie and Umbavat reserves are really serious about continuing the fight to allow hunting!

With no fences anywhere, Kruger wildlife can easily end up on the wall of rich hunters instead of our photo albums!

Please think twice about staying at any of the lodges in these reserves!
Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:07 AM
africa_lover

sorry, but our lodge, KingsCamp/ Timbavati is already booked and payed for. We stayed there in August 2001 and had the most wonderful time amongst which we saw the wilddogs hunting .
We are going back within a moonth because the manager and guides were so good and friendly.
When I return home, I will let you know what their opinion is on the hunting matter, I am sure thay are against it.

Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:11 AM

I am as opposed to hunting as anybody, but if someone is going to boycott Timbavati's photosafari lodges because there are hunting lodges in the same concession, then if the same logic is applied, much of Botswana should also be boycotted (some Wilderness Safari, Kwando and I am sure other photosafari operators share their concessions with hunting lodges). Furthermore, any Zambian lodge operating outside of the national parks in GMA's then should also be boycotted, including Robin Pope Safaris and other reputable companies. The only thing that would accomplish would be to take away some sanctuaries that the wildlife now enjoys.

I do not know what the solution is to stopping trophy hunting, but this certainly is not it.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:21 AM

Allow me to add that it is not Wilderness Safaris or these other companies that decide whether or not hunting will be allowed within a concession. It is the government that decides such things.

With some of these concessions, we are not talking Sabi Sand size reserves, but instead we are talking HUGE tracts of land.

Kwando, alone, if I am not mistaken, is entrusted with 1 million acres (over 450,000 hectares). This is about 7 times more land than the Sabi Sand. Yet, Kwando only has the capacity for about 40 guests.

Meanwhile within the same tract, a hunting lodge or two also operates, probably with the capacity of no more than about 16 beds.

So, in a space that is 7 times larger than the Sabi Sand, there are only 56 beds total and there are very strict quotas on the number of animals that may be taken. From the little I know, Botswana has very tight regulations on their trophy hunting industry, and the numbers of animals allowed to be taken are less than the number that the animals are currently growing.

Anyway, my point is that Timbavati, nor any other particular area, should not necessarily be punished for sharing the area with a hunting lodge. It is most likely out of the control of the photosafari lodge and they are fortunate to pick up a concession wherever they can.

I think Phinda is an excellent example of photosafaris winning out over hunting safaris. Phinda has just recently added a very significant concession that was formerly known as Zuka, a hunting concession. This was only made possible because Phinda was such a huge success that eventually it was able to take over the neighboring concession.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Rocco, you have certainly changed your tune after your strong anti-hunting campaigns!

I wonder who you really are!

But you are coming around to my recent remarks that wildlife management in Africa is infinitely complex with no easy answers. Timbavati is just the latest topic in an ungoing debate that makes my head spin!

My point is simply this:

It is very hard to choose between the different reserves and lodges in Eastern & Southern Africa. With so much to choose from, I've added a "hunting concession?" checkbox to my list of deciding factors. If the private reserve allows hunting, then I won't go there.

I am not an activist and have no axe to grind with any reserve. I've had a wonderful stay at Motswari before but had no idea that hunting is promoted in the Timbavati area.

So it was a shock when I recently learned about it and I am sure many readers here did not know it either.

I am just presenting the facts and all must form their own conclusions. Fortunately, there are plenty of choices around Kruger so we can all go where we please!
Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:28 AM

climbhighsleeplow,

I have crusaded against trophy hunting more than anybody on this board.

Show me which lodges you are considering, which airlines you are flying on, which agents you are using and I will show some link, direct or indirect, to trophy hunting, and at that point, you may as well stay home.

Search this Thread