Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Greenlife SA - Anyone able to comment on services?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip in late Sept.'05 and visiting Cape Town, business in Durban, procedding to 3 night safari. Thinking of using Greenlife for itinerary and booking. Any feedback? Considering Vuyatela or Inyati for safari - thoughts or suggestions?
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 04:45 AM

Hello Mattinee,

You can book almost everything yourself in SA, so there's really no need to use a tour operator at all -- and you'll save a huge amount of money.

What is your budget for your safari? There are some really wonderful places in the Sabi Sands (where the two lodges you mentioned are located) which cost a bit more but give much better game vieiwng.

Inyati has gotten some good reviews on this board, but Vuyatela has gotten quite a few negative ones, primarily in regards to the service/hospitality (the owners in particular don't seem very welcoming according to those who have stayed there).

For more recommendations on the Sabi Sands area, look up the thread titled 'URGENT: Safari in SA'

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Julian,

Thank you for your reply, I am coming to same conclusion since I have done most of the research myself. My concern is that I have business in Durban too late to get a flight out for safari until next day (9/28) and will now have to limit my safari to 2 nights Looking for moderate priced safari $500 - 600/person/nite for my husband and self. Greenlife did get back with itinerary and suggested Thornybush Shumbalala Lodge. Opinion? Suggestions? Would be leaving 9/30 out of Johannesburg for return trip home. How do I know what airport to book out of Durban to get to various safaris? Check web sites? How about transfers etc. - perhaps some of this is included? HELP!
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 07:23 AM

Mattinee,

If you are going to be in Durban and only have two nights for safari, then why not go to Phinda for 2 nights, and spend less time transferring up to Thornybush. There are 4 camps to choose from at Phinda, 2 less expensive and 2 more expensive and I believe low season rates run until Sept 30th this year.
I have not been to Phinda, but have been to two other CCAfrica camps that are very well run. You can do a search for Phinda on this website and find comments.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 07:34 AM

Hello,

Unfortunately, there are no direct flights from Durban to the Sabi Sands, so you would need to go via Joburg. This is doable but will eat up a significant amount of time.

To maximise your safari time, I suggest looking into Phinda Game Reserve, which is within driving distance of Durban. It's an excellent reserve and would enable you to maximise your time on safari. You could even arrive in the evening (after your meeting) and stay overnight at the lodge, so you could do the early-morning game drive.

The website is www.ccafrica.com -- the lodges are listed to the right of the page. I've travelled with CCAfrica both this year and last year, and their lodges and guides are of a very high standard.

Personally I like Vlei Lodge, but if that's a bit too pricey Forest Lodge is the best of the less expensive options. I would not stay at Mountain Lodge as the architecture is not as nice (CCA inherited it from the previous owners of the reserve, so it wasn't designed by them) and it's popular with families with small children -- never the best company on safari unless they're your own. There is good game viewing from the rooms in Forest and Vlei which is not true of the other lodges.

You could then either get a transfer direct from Phinda to JNB through CCAfrica, or go via Durban. The direct transfer will probably run about R1500 per person.

If you want to get do Phinda, get in touch with Louise Nordier, who worked with me on my last safari. Mention my name (Julian Asher) and let her know that I referred you -- CCA is very appreciative of referrals from past clients and tries hard to make those people happy. Her email address is [email protected]

Good luck!

Cheers,
Julian