anyone had trouble with wheeled luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we purchased wheeled duffles for our trip and i was aware of the weight restrictions, but when i emailed Zambian Air to confirm these restrictions i also asked if wheeled duffles were considered soft luggage (i started having some doubts) and was told it depended on the size (i've sent them the measurments and waiting on a reply). Has anyone else had trouble with getting their luggage on a flight due to size restrictions?
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:28 PM
santharamhari

Judochop,

I strictly use wheeled duffles, for my Botswana trips....which included weight restrictions to 12kgs for inter-camp transfers.

You should be ok.

Hari

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

oh good!! Thanks Hari.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 11:39 PM

Not sure about Zambian Air, but most international air restrictions focus more on weight and dimensions.

The couple travelling with us had wheeled luggage and it was no problem in the US (met carry on size), but once in Europe, KLM made them check the bag as it was over the weight limit (I can't recall if it was 15 or 20 lbs).

The problem with wheeled luggage is that even the lightest ones weigh 6-8 lbs. A simple duffle or lightweight backpack will only weigh 1-1.5 lbs.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:12 AM
santharamhari

Judochop,

I obviously checked in my wheeled duffel for my international flight. I assumed that, your question related to inter-camp transfers......that's where the weight restrictions truly comes alive!!! You should be ok for those....

Hari

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:43 AM

I have taken a small wheeled duffle to both South Africa and Botswana on very small planes and helicopters. My husband uses a small duffle with no wheels. No pilot has complained and I believe it is because I do not overpack the wheeled duffle and it can be molded and compressed to fit the aircraft.