Pics & thanks from SA & Vic Falls

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for helping me out planning my trip earlier. There is no way I can repay for all the valuable infomation gathered here.

I'd like to share some our pictures that you helped make possible:
http://www.c-41.net/Albums/2006/Honey/moon.html

(Probably best to stick to the Highlights section in the upper left nav-bar. With digital snaps are free and I went a little trigger happy.)

thanks all!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:59 PM

Simply beautiful! You've captured wonderful shots, some areas look very familiar. Love the giraffe (straight on) with the fat cheeks...that's a first for me. Very nice presentation. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Carla. The giraffe is one of my favorites too. These animals were much more epxressive than I had ever imagined.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 12:09 AM
africnow

Nice phots. Thanks. That giraffe is funny looking

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 03:04 AM

Great photos.
Impressed with the web site, good use of flash.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 05:15 AM

They are great! And we like how you have posted them. Can you tell us what software you used to create the web site?

What cameras did you use and lenses also?

Thanks
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 05:44 AM

Great photos -- I guess Dizzy Gillespie was reincarnated as a giraffe!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
My personal favorite is the crocodile teeth one. (It's not in a zoo...)

All pics were shot with my D70 (not the 's' version), most game ones with an 80-400VR lens, and the rest primarily with my 18-200VR walkaround lens. As suggested on this site, I used a monopod to steady my shots at night and at 400mm.

The website was generated using the free open-source application called Jalbum. (My hosting service charges $4.95 a month, though that may change with the traffic I've seen in the last 24 hours... ;-)
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:01 AM

Simply awsome photos. I can't wait to get there in September. How long were you in SA?
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:07 AM

lessthanzero: you just beat me to my first comment -- crocodile teeth was my favortie of your pics, just an incredible shot.

Congrats on your marriage and excellent honeymoon! You captured some unique photos with great composition, I really love the penguin walking with human legs in the same motion in the background and your insect shots are very impressive.

Have you written a trip report? I would love to read one, you had a lot of variety and I am very interested in Chitwa Chitwa, shark diving (good pics there too), and where you stayed in the Wine Country. Looks like a fabulous journey.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:33 AM

Wow, you really do have some fabulous shots there - I'm so envious! Wish I'd thought of some of those! Thanks so much for sharing!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:52 AM
bat

Beautiful pictures. I could not stop with the highlights. What hotel in Capetown? in
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Ruben,I spent 3 weeks on my honeymoon. It was rushed and we only made it because I had everything timed down to the last minute.

That may sound like an exaggeration (and probably is), but we cleared the border to from South Africa to Swaziland with 8 minutes to spare. In fact they closed it right behind us. And when we got to the Swazi side, the staff there had actually left! I had to plead with a giard to let us through. Miraculously this all happened without any money chanigng hands.

The route we took from Nelspruit looked more direct on the map, but the road was gravel for much of the way (and we did not have a 4WD), and nowhere did it say that the border closed at 4 PM...
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:53 AM

These clearly have to be some of the best and most diverse photos I've seen in awhile. What a wonderful honeymoon you must have had - Congrats. on that.

Although I loved all your shots, I was particularly taken with your now famous giraffe, that amazing leopard (looks like he was looking into your soul) - how far away was s/he?, the landscapes and the cool urban pics.
Your wife's adorable as well.

Was that you hanging from that piece of thread taking a death leap ?
Would love to hear some details on the shark dip, as well.
Thanks for posting!
Sherry
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:30 AM

incredible pictures ! thank you !!

how was crossing that bridge with the flood ? You wrote you did not even have a 4x4, or ?

It seems you covered almost 100% of the african wildlife !!
congratulations for both your marriage and trip !!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sherry.

Yes, I'm the idiot jumping 330 feet (100m) from the bridge over Vic falls between Zim & Zam. I'd always wanted to do that, and this posted a "perfect" opportunity. Our stay there was so packed that I found myself doing it right after breakfast and before catching a plane back to Jo'burg. My wife decided not to join me. While I retained most of my breafast (just kidding: all of my breakfast), I will admit to no longer having this particular desire.

Both the Giraffe and the Leopard was literally right by the vehicle, approximately 6 ft. At that point I was wondering if I should have saved the money I spent on my 400mm. ;-) (For the photo-heads out there, the sharpness on the 80-400mm and color rendition way surpasses the long end of the 18-200, so I'm glad I had both.)

The shark dive was cool, but could have been just so-so. Most of the outfits are run by young punks, and several people on my boat still reeked of last night's adventures. I don't mind, but they lent very little extra to the experience. I went with the shark-lady because of reputation and allegedly only taking smaller crews. On the day of the dive i was shipped off to another outfit because of over-booking and the entire experience pre- getting out there was a little chaotic. The shark-lady gets at best a neutral rating from me, and I'd do more research next time. I forget the outfit I ended up diving with, but that's probably just as well.

Luckily there was a marine biologist on board, and he was both very knowledgable and a good guide. We had sharks almost the entire time we were out, with 14 sightings and 7-8 individual sharks. Seeing them up close and personal was quite a rush.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Fabio!

Crossing over to Kruger was fine, even with the flood. We were sceptical in our class B vehicle, but seeing someone else there, we asked if it was safe before venturing in. (we also paid extra for car insurance ;-))

Since we drove all over the place and flights and hotel were already taking their toll on my wallet. We (admittedly: I) decided to skimp on the car. Given gas prices, I'm glad that we did. A 4WD would have been nice off-road in in Kruger, and when crossing into Swaziland. It also could have facilitated a trip to Lesotho from Drakensberg, but we were already short on time.

Instead of paying for 4WD, we spent the money on wine and food. I would heartily recommend Boillabaisse to anyone going to Franschhoek!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:39 AM

incredible pictures ! thank you !!

how was crossing that bridge with the flood ? You wrote you did not even have a 4x4, or ?

It seems you covered almost 100% of the african wildlife !!
congratulations for both your marriage and trip !!

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Bat,
Our hotel in Cape Town was called an African Village. It's a boutique hotel, which was quite charming. It is run by british transplant and owned by his beau. Very well decorated and the service is outstanding.

Predator,
I liked Chitwa quite a lot. We staid at the cheaper of the two lodges, and I am happy that we did. It was still quite luxurious, and their wines were great without breaking the bank. There was only one other couple there too, which meant that we got to do exactly what we wanted. (They found it pretty strange that I wanted to take pictures of impalas the last day.)
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the great photographic journey!!What a wonderful honeymoon and you captured it beautifully - from the fish eagle with the "bad hair" day to the pride of the workman in Capetown

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -