Search

Antinal - Tummy Trouble Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antinal - Tummy Trouble Question

Hello fellow Egypt "forumers!"

I have a question... we've all read about the fabulous wonders of Antinal AFTER you get a tummy bug but is there a medication to take as a preventative to hopefully stop getting sick so you don't have to wait however many hours for Antinal to kick in?

Thank you
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 03:52 AM

Hi - there is an oral vaccine for tummy troubles caused by e-coli called DUK ORAL - it's OTC in Canada. We have taken it for our past 4 trips and never had a problem.

Also we take a Pepto Bismol tablet twice a day - apparently it gives your stomach a bit more fighting power. But don't drink the liquid - it turns your tongue (temporarily) black with prolonged use.

Liz
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 04:51 AM

There are people who take Pepto Bismal as a preventative, but I'm not sure it makes that much difference. But if you use it for too long, you may have the opposite problem.

When I was in Egypt, some of my traveling companions used Antinal. If used at the first sign of a problem, the problem is usually gone by the next day. The longer you wait, the worse it gets and the longer it takes to work. I also used some leftover Antinal after I returned from my trip when I had food poisoning, and I was remarkably better by that evening. Since it's so cheap, it's worth buying some as soon after arrival as possible just in case.

But for myself, I bought a Z-Pack when I was having some intestinal disturbance, and that worked almost immediately. I was feeling feverish one evening and was having some minor cramps. I started taking the zithromycin and was completely fine by the next morning. A friend started having symptoms the same night but didn't want to take anything at all. He was pretty much out of commission for 24 hours and became dehydrated.

I'm not a doctor, but both of these treatments were recommended to me by a pharmacist in an Egyptian pharmacy.

By the way, I have also heard of people taking Cipro prophylactically, but I just don't think that's wise. You should not take antibiotics unless you actually have a problem.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 05:16 AM

Always have a supply of 1) Cipro, 2), Lomitol, 3) Pepto tabs. Thankfully, have never had tummy problems regardless where I've traveled.

With Antinal being so inexpensive, you might as well just pick up a supply arriving and for your time in Egypt, just in case; then have for future travel also.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Like Elizabeth, we have taken Dukoral prior to each of our (4) trips to southern Africa. We (my DH and I) have avoided all stomach troubles, despite eating plenty of fresh fruit, salads and, on a couple of occasions when camping, forgeting to brush our teeth with bottled water. Dukoral, which you mix with a small amount of water and drink, tastes disgustingly sweet, but is well worth it. Robin
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Actually I agree with sandi......... you should take your medication with you on a trip.

1, Cipro
2. Imodium

Cipro is a very good antibiotic...take it if you are sick

Imodium is good also for that mild case of diarrhea and stomach cramps.

Antinal , actually is a "poor" antibiotic and its mode of action is nowhere comparable to Cipro.

However when in Cairo ...it is cheap....does little harm...
and has few side effects.

I read the enclosed little pamphlet that comes with the Antinal medication and it did not impress me much...it does have an antidiuretic component to it...

so hopefully it will help you retain a bit more of your bodily fluids.

I answered all this in a posting about medications for Egypt back in July ..

here is the link
http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...edications.cfm

The thing I do not like about Zithromax is that it's number one side effect is related to the Gastrointestinal Tract....

in fact just about any antibiotic that is in the "Mycin" family of drugs will have nausea as it's #1 side effect.

Erythromycin
Azithromycin ( Zithromax)
Clindamycin etc...

I am glad that Doug tolerates it and it works for him
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

I know antibiotics can have a laxative effect so not keen on those unless I absolutely have to. In Australia, we might have things called different names but I will speak to my doctor about DUK ORAL or something similar. I don't think we have "pepto thingie" or whatever... I have never seen it here in Australia.

I read somewhere too about drinking a lemon juice drink. They say the acid in it kills some nasty which can make you sick. My friend said that on her trip the guide suggested if you just MUST have a salad, queeze a lemon over it.

I plan on getting my antinal as soon as I land! Just in case! I dread the thought of admiring king tuts funeral mask and then having to race off to the bathroom at a million miles an hour..."just in case!"
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 05:08 AM

Just to be clear, Antinal is an antibiotic. You're not avoiding antibiotics if you take Antinal. But when dealing with intestinal problems, antibiotics cure rather than cause diarrhea.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 07:35 AM

We also used Buscopan for tummy troubles while in Egypt. Works similar to Pepto-bismal - but a small pill (so easy to swallow) and no chalky taste. It's available at all the pharmacies and as I recall is quite cheap.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

I tink we can beg Buscopan in Australia.

Thanks everyone!
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Doug, antibiotics do have a side effect of diarrhea. Yes they don't cause it but it can have an effect in the "bathroom department" I know because I recently took an antibiotic for a cat bite that I had to visit hospital every day for a week for - I had oral and intravenious antibiotics;

This from a website;
Can antibiotics be harmful?
Antibiotics are generally safe and very helpful in fighting disease but there are certain cases where antibiotics can actually be harmful. These are some things to watch for while taking antibiotics:

Side effects - eg nausea, diarrhoea and stomach pain. Be sure that your doctor has told you about side effects. It is very important to notify your doctor if you have any side effects from your antibiotics.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 01:32 PM

Hi you can get some stuff called Travelan it is available here in Australia at any chemist and you take it before any meals, i have not taken it yet but i will be when i go to Egypt in January. I do know of a few people who have been to Thailand and India and took it and had no tummy troubles at all. It has a web site, it's http://www.travelan.com/ it might be worth checking out
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 05:12 PM

Antinal works within hours. My husband woke up at midnight and had some intestinal issues he took a pill with bottled water and went to sleep. He woke up around 3 am with a little less distress but took another pill. When he woke up in the morning he was back to normal, had a decent breakfast and off for the day without any problems.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 08:27 PM

Antinal worked for us very quickly while in Egypt. Not sure why. Most of us on the tour got ill the first day and within the first few days so we feel some of us got it on the plane. Some were really ill while others were only mildly ill. The oldest,84 and the two 30 somethings did not get ill but they were very fussy eaters. Anyone eating salads and fruit you don't peel yourself is asking for a run of intestial problems. I took Cipro with me but saved it just in case I got really ill. Antinal did the trick. Taking medication to prevent an infection is not a good idea. Many organisms cause diarrhea and not all can be cured by an antibiotic and for some, taking antibiotics can make a self limiting illness worse. Antibiotics can cause some people to have diarrhea and makes things worse especially if you have a nasty load of bacteria. Ask your physician for advice before you go.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 08:34 PM

Antibiotics can cause some people to have diarrhea and makes things worse especially if you have a nasty load of bacteria.
----I meant to say that antibiotics can irritate the bowel more and make an already uncomfortable situation worse. Got two phone calls and lost my thought and did not preview.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Cipro is available here in the Pharmacies with NO prescription needed and at a fraction of the price you will pay in the states. Wait and buy it here.