Immunizations/Egypt

Jan 10th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Immunizations/Egypt

Did anyone who visited this country get any immunizations? How did you all do as far as stomach problems?Any info would be appreciated.
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:08 AM

My doctor recommended we get hep A&B and make sure our regular vaccines were up to date (tetanus, rubella, etc.). We did not get Typhoid Fever vaccine since this was not recommended by our family physician or the doctor at a travel clinic I contacted. We did take Dukoral, which is a traveller's diarrhea vaccine that you drink - 2 doses prior to the trip. Still had minor stomach troubles, despite avoiding raw vegetables & drinking only bottled water, so also took imodium while there.
Jan 12th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Just returned in December from 2 weeks. The international travel clinic recommended the Hep A & B, polio, typhoid and an updated tetanus for me. I had my doctor give me a script for a generic antibiotic (NOT CIPRO) for 15 days which I started taking 2 days before my trip and took every day during my trip as a preventative. I had absolutely no problems the entire time I was on the trip. I ate a lot of local foods...the only thing I didn't have was ice/water, lettuce or any other high water content veggies or fruits that I didn't peel.

While I know its a pain to have TD while you're traveling, it is best to steer clear of taking immodium because all that does is keep the bacteria in your system. Its best to just let it get out of you (literally and figuratively). Some of the fellas on my trip did have a touch of the TD (we think it was from the beer) and they drank a lot of water with lots of lemon in it which seemed to help them.

I really do think taking the antibiotic was the key for me as I did try food from local vendors. Also drank lots of bottled water...if you get bored with drinking plain water (I sure do), I found at Wal-Mart individual packets of Crystal Light and the Wal-Mart brand which was the perfect size for the 16 oz bottles...it made a nice change from plain water.

Enjoy your trip...Egypt is fabulous!!
Jan 12th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Hi, I wanted to ask travelgirl67 if she would mind telling me which antibiotic she took. I am a pharmacist and am trying to decide which to take with me on my trip to Egypt in March. Cipro or any flouroquinolone is the the top recommended by the CDC, BUT I hate reccomending it because of the sun sensitivity problems. I also will be traveling with my 12 year old daughter and flouroquinolones are contraindicated in anyone under 18 except under very severe circumstances. Just being professionally curious if you don't mind telling me which one you took.
Thanks, April
Jan 13th, 2005, 01:52 AM

One of the ways some people get intestinal woes is forgetting that many juices sold are reconstituted with local water. Also, when you buy water from vendors, make sure cap is originally sealed and not re-filled.

Sometimes dairy products are made with unpasteurized milk - so watch that as well.

None of the 4 of us got sick (2001) and we were very careful. Some recommended large amounts of lemonade - but I suspect that is made with local water as well.
Jan 13th, 2005, 06:03 AM

I am going to Egypt soon. What about drinking coffee? Since it is made with local water is it also off limits? I have just got to have that cup in the morning.
Jan 13th, 2005, 10:55 AM

AprilA: the antibiotic was Sumycin. I had absolutely no side effects from taking it. The only annoying thing was having to take it at least 30 minutes before lying down...was hard to remember some nights. Some people told me to get Cipro but after doing some research on it, I really didn't feel comfortable with it...plus a friend took it on a trip to South Africa and said the side effects were worse than the side effects of the Yellow Fever shot.

Dottie: I drank several cups of tea every day and had no problems. The boiling of the water kills any bacteria.

Gail had a really good point about the juices...I went to get a glass of OJ one morning and it smelled an awful lot like Tang so I just passed on it.

Some the guys in my group did make their own lemonade with bottled water. The lemons in Egypt are actually key limes so its easy to squeeze their juice into a bottle of water.

If anyone is going to Sharm, there's a terrific restaurant on the beach just to the right of the Hilton called Tam Tam. Outside they have bedouin style dining. The food is very good and the prices are even better! We ate there at least once every day we were in Sharm it was so good.

Everyone have a great time!
Jan 13th, 2005, 11:29 AM

I drank coffee in Egypt - but if I followed by own strict food rules, tea and coffee are not safe. Water must be boiled 10-15 minutes to kill yucky stuff. Coffee water is not (or should not) be boiled, and who boils tea water for 10 minutes?

Wash your hands often - or use one of the sanitizing gels. They now sell wipes with the same gel on them - good after using disgusting public bathrooms.

Besides the water thing, no raw veggies of any kind, only fruit you can peel yourself. Avoid dairy. That leaves meat, cooked veggies, rice, potatoes, oranges and bananas. Fortunately, the bread is delicious.

We decided ahead of time that we were going to Egypt to see things, not to dine. And since this was our purpose, we did not want to miss any time being sick. So it was worth it.

The problem is not that you might get so sick that you will die, the problem is that bathroom facilities can be few and far between - so if you have intestinal problems, you may not want to risk venturing out to some historic site.

As far as immunizations, it is recommended that everyone (non-travelers) get HepA/B anyway, so this is a good excuse to get it. We also brought small quantities of regular over-the-counter medications since reading Arabic labels and trying to find Tylenol, for example, in an Egyptian pharmacy, is not an adventure I wanted to experience.
Jan 13th, 2005, 12:52 PM
sandi

HepA and Tetanus are good to have regardless whether you travel or not. So if it's been recommended, then do get these inoculations.

As far as food and water. We only used bottled water which was easy to come by and inexpensive. It will be cheaper to buy in a local store; often you will find local boys selling bottles of water (all sealed) right before people board their cruise boats - cheaper then on board. Regardless either way, water isn't expensive. You can keep the water cold as most cabins on Nile cruise boats have mini refrigs.

We ate all food, including cucumber and watermelon, with no problems. There was no lettuce to be found anywhere which indicated to us it shouldn't be on our list of edibles. There are some wonderful factory produced juices - mango and guava - that are excellent, and even found in our supermarket here in the States.

You will find that most all reputable hotels and Nile cruise boats have water filtering/purification systems for food preparation. Though we were always provided free bottled water in our hotel rooms for drinking and brushing teeth.

We always travel with pepto, imodium and Cipro - just in case - have never needed these anywhere in the world. As far as we knew, no one on our Nile cruise boat had any stomach problems. The strong sun is likely to be more of a problem, so do remember a hat, sun protection lotion, and it's a good idea of have a bandana that can be wet and placed around your neck to cool you down. Enjoy your trip.

Search this Thread