Search

Distilled water in Egypt?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
plr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Distilled water in Egypt?

Need this for medical reasons. Anyone know if this is available?
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
dmlove

I'm not sure I know what "distilled water" is. Does bottled spring water count? If so, it is readily available.

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM

Don't know. But an idea, call a couple of large hotel/resorts in Egypt and ask them. Of course be sure they understand the question. Because I'm sure they will first say that their water is perfectly safe to drink.

Distilled water is not the same as any other bottled water, spring, mountain stream, rain, etc.

regards - tom
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 02:51 PM

I remember that the only place I could buy distilled water in 2006 was at a gas station.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:53 PM
plr
Original Poster

Good suggestion, Tom, but not sure I know how to communicate "distilled" since I don't speak the language. Sunshine, I'd have never thought of a gas station. Do you remember whether it was available in bottles, or only jug-size? I'm hoping Debbie of casualcairo.com might also respond to this.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 06:22 PM

That's why I'd call a LARGE hotel/resort, e.g. Hilton, Four Seasons, that hopefully is fluent in English. But you never know.

Is it critical that it be distilled water? Would non-distilled work for a little while?

regards - tom
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM

again, this is hazy, but I think the bottles have the words "distilled water" on them. I don't remember having a problem with communicating the words "distilled water."

I'll try to remember to check the next time I'm by one.

If this is for a C-Pap, an American I knew said that he used tap wate while he
was in Egypt.

Egypt has everything, but it can be amazingly difficult to locate what type of place sells it. There's an amazing morass of government regulations enforced by a variety of government regulators. You need permission from two different agencies to sell books and cds. Each agency has its different sets of rules & regs & time periods, and people to bribe, and ... and ... I assume that's why distilled water was only available at gas stations.

Old Sep 25th, 2008, 01:58 PM

plr,

If it's for a CPAP just use bottled water. That's what I had to do. "Distilled" water just is not known there - at least it wasn't in Tanzania last March.

If indeed for a CPAP I'd definitely avoid tap water. I used this my first night and got a bad tummy case. I was never sure if it was from inhaling the steamed tap water or from accidentally brushing my teeth with tap water that first night.

Best to you,
-doo
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 02:40 PM

I would think that any Pharmacy would have distilled water... and could sellyou some.......... if it is
distilled water that you must have.

If possible tell us why you need the distilled water, I am not prying , just asking of you can tell us..if not
then it is okay.

Percy