Search

Mummy Tummy....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mummy Tummy....

We recently went to Mexico, and as a preventative measure tried the pepto bismol tabs each morning/nite (as suggested by the Mexico Travel Board) We were careful as well - and never got sick, some people swear by this? Just curious if anyone has tried this for Egypt? Vacation is to short to be down even one day!
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:42 AM

If your careful about what you eat& drink you won't need to take anything.Egypt is no different than hundreds of other destinations.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 04:33 AM

My husband has crohn's disease and has very ittle intestine left. We take his perscription Imodium with us and at the first sign of "you know what" I take one. Never had a problem anywhere we've been! Even a few places we should not have been (or at loeast dined!- what can I say we love the adventure!) Ask your DR for a small script before you go...I should point out that it works really well so use with caution (Dr explained I should not take nearly the dose my hubby does).
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 06:49 AM

When you take Pepto Bismol or Immodium, what it does is slow the rate of passage of contents of the intestine. This is a good thing if you are getting diarrhea so bad that you risk dehydration or if you are going to be someplace without access to a bathroom.

Still, it is a better idea health wise to avoid the problem in the first place - lots written here and elsewhere on what to avoid. Don't forget that ice and reconstituted juices are sometimes made with local water.

We did not get sick in Egypt, but were very careful about what we ate. One morning I felt a little green and took a half dose of Pepto - don't know if Iwould have gotten sick or not, but couldn't risk it on that day.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:32 AM

My husband and I did the "Pepto Plan" in Bali with great success. See the CDC Web site's description of traveller's diarhhea. It offers a detailed account of the plan which is good wherever tummy trouble is known to occur.

Also, I recall taking the meds at least three times a day, not just morning and night.