Egypt - Mummy tummy medications

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on visiting Egypt in 2010. I remember reading that there was a medication available over the counter in Egypt that I need to buy by perscription in Canada/US. What is the name of the medication? Is it easy to purchase in Egypt or is it difficult to find?

Thank you.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 07:13 PM

"I am going to shoot you yet."

I would take Imodium with you (or Lomotil but you have to visit the doctor for Lomotil).

Imodium you can get over the counter ( before you leave)....but get the Quick Dissolve type.

It says right on the package box "Quick Dissolve"

When needed place one on your tongue... before you can count to ten... it has dissloved !!

The drug you are asking about in Egypt is AntiNal ( or Entoseed),any pharmacy and many stores will have it.

Here are TWO wrong things people do when they visit Egypt and do the Nile cruise.

1. They over eat at the buffet with food that may be very different to them.
Therefore they change their "normal" eating habits and overload their stomach.

2. They come back from a tour and head for their room on the cruise boat and "crash"out !!

But the air conditioning is on FULL power and you are sweaty from the over 100 F heat.

So here is what happens..... you get a cold, back pains, your immune system is struggling...you feel a bit nauseated and maybe some diarrhea and cramps...because you are also dehydrated.

Okay so what is the solution... wait a minute I will tell you !!!

1. Do not rush to your room...sit in the looby or visit the gift shop..get acclimatized before going to your room.

2.When you get into your room shut the air conditioner OFF ..yes OFF, and turn it back on when the room begins to get warm.

Also I would take some Lozengers with you in case you get a sore throat.....this must be common on the Nile cruise , because when I was at the Aswan High Dam...

several people got a sore throat, there was a small ( very small) little booth selling souvenirs and I went up to ask if by chance he had and lozengers !!!

I felt foolish even asking for lozengers at this little booth... well guess WHAT!!

Two large boxes of Lozengers right on the counter !! Now you know there is to be a high demand for the stuff ,when he had two boxes at the Aswan High Dam !

If you get sick in Egypt ,I just might shoot you
Good Night
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 11:15 PM

Listen to him! He knows what he is talking about.
The other thing people tend to do a lot and then blame it on food poisoning is dehydrate themselves. They are afraid to use the toilets in Egypt, so they go all day on as little water as possible. S-T-U-P-I-D!!! Do not do this. The toilets are the least of your problem if you make yourself sick by dehydrating. Drink tons of water. As much as you can. If you have children coming to Egypt, get them practiced on drinking tons of water before you come. It's a habit that one has to form, but it will keep you much healthier in the long run, and believe me, if it is hot enough, you won't have to pee that much - you'll be sweating it out!

Rant over.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 05:46 AM

>>if it is hot enough, you won't have to pee that much - you'll be sweating it out!<<

Years back avoided drinking water if I knew I wouldn't have a clean loo somewhere. Often when out on safari gamedrives for hours. But wasn't so foolish not to drink and it became evident that what goes in comes out but in these environments (hot Egypt and under Equatoria sun on East Africa) it's sweat.

We ate everything in Egypt, at hotels and on cruise boat. Not a tummy upset. Even had ice in drinks. Just have your regular tummy tabs - pepto, lomitil, etc. - just in case. And if you need more, get the local tab AntiNal.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 06:49 AM

On our Egypt trip we broke the food rules right off the bat. On our first night we ate food that was not cooked, peeled and had what looked like mayonaise on it. Worried all night about it but nothing happened. For the rest of the trip we ate anything we wanted and never got sick. The one rule we didn't break was the bottled water one. We only drank bottled water, lots of it, and never had ice with our drinks. We took cipro, immodium and pepto bismol, and never used any of them. I think we have built up an immunity to germs over the years because we eat at buffets all the time. A couple with us on the boat wouldn't even eat the oranges or cucumber (the best tasting ever) even though they were peeled. They missed out on a lot of very good food.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 08:33 AM

Hi Debbie

And YOU sure know what you are talking about! You are of course very correct.

When it is 100F plus I do not understand why someone would dehydrate themselves, just to avoid the bathroon..but some do !!

When you get that fatigue ,nausea feeling from being dehydrated,then drinking two bottle of water quickly is not going to pull you out of it ,just like that.!

You are right sandi,as you have been to many "hot" places.

cougfan:

Yes I would also say take Cipro with you...if you do not use it ...it is good for at least three years.

You can take either Cipro 500 mgm <B>twice</B> a day for 3 days or

You can take the 1000 mgm tablet of Cipro ,<B> once </B> a day for 3 days.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 07:15 PM

We didn't end up needing to use anything - out of 6 people, there were two very mild (a few hours) cases of stomach upset, nothing major. We ate almost everything, but drank bottled water (tons of it - buy it in stores, not at the hotel or tourist sites, where it's much more expensive. That said, buying Antinal over the counter is easy and we found
medicines to be extremely cheap in Egypt = ex. Afrin for $0.60.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 07:25 PM

Sorry for my stupidity, but when you say Cipro, are you referring to ciprofloxacin?

If yes, I am a little worried, since this is a VERY powerful antibiotic and should not be used that lightly.

If it is indeed ciprofloxacin, it sounds to me like killing a fly with a cannon. It kills the intestinal flora, it causes nausea, vomit and may even cause diarrhea,causing therefore dehydration. Unfortunately for my mother in law we learned all this too late for her.

As far as eating in Egypt is concerned, I was very worried about eating vegetables, but when we first had an Egyptian breakfast, I could not resist eating all those fresh vegetables and for the following 25 days we ate a lot of them.

We also bought excellent fruit from the small vendors, not from the supermarkets (never tasted a better melon before!!!). But also had lots, and I mean lots (something above 3 liters a day) of water all throughout our stay. Never had a problem.

Funny thing, even though the water goes out mostly via sweat, I never felt sweaty or humid. I guess the evaporation is what made the outside temperature bearable.

Gee! I miss Egypt. It was one of the most awesome experiences in my life. Can't wait to go back!!!
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 07:52 PM

Yes when I said Cipro I mean Ciprofloxin.

I bring it with me always and I am happy when I never have to use it.

It is an excellent antibiotic and it's mode of action is superior to many other antibiotics.

You use it when ,besides diarrhea ,you have a fever , are toxic and just plain sick,then you know you do not have just a plain case of diarrhea.

The Imodium is for the diarrhea.!

You want to read about side effects of antibiotics !... read about Penicillin.... yep,it will cause nausea ,vomiting and diarrhea.

Keep reading ,let me know when you find an antibiotic that may not cause , nausea, vomiting and /or diarrhea!

Good Everyone
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM

Just in case you forget to bring along Cipro - it's available at all the pharmacies for a nominal cost.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:33 AM

I too always have Cipro in my Medpac. Thanksfully haven't needed it in the exotic third-world countries. The only place had needed was in France and not due to something as raw claims or such (I don't eat stuff from the ocean).

So pack the meds and have a good time.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:56 AM

A second to Grcxx3's reminder that Cipro is available in Egypt without a prescription at any pharmacy, but it is 1/3 or less the price that it is in America if you want to wait to buy it here..... same with most medications you may need or want to stock up on.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:17 PM

To ask a silly question... is there a reason people are afraid to use the toilets? At the main tourist areas, are these squatty potties or is it just cleanliness issues people are freaked about?
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 02:43 AM

A little of both Iowa_Redhead. Some places are just fine, but there are others that, uh.....aren't so fine.

I could tell some stories (as I'm sure Debbie can)...but it's to early in the morning!