Airline Strike

Jul 21st, 2005, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Airline Strike

I was happily counting down the days and looking forward to my Zimbabwe safari, and now I am a nervous reck looking ahead to the potential Northwest Airlines strike. If nothing is resolved they are set to strike on August 20th, and my flight is for September 1st. Has anyone been through this or do they know what happens in this situation? Ive looked forward to this trip for so long and I would hate for this stupid strike to ruin the whole thing.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:43 PM

Dear Beept, nothing as stressful as that! Question, are you SURE you are on Northwest? I know that they codeshare with KLM the dutch airlines and it was my understanding that most of their African flights are handled by the KLM group I don't know if the Northwest strike will effect KLM. We have reservations on Northwest/KLM for a septmber 14 flight to Cairo.. but when I called Northwest for confirmation they said that it was only visible on the KLM site..I don't know if NW is on strike perhaps that slack will be picked up by KLM.. anyone know?
Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:35 PM

NWA do not even fly to Africa so you must be on KLM so I wouldnt worry.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

I fly Northwest out of Minneapolis to Amsterdam, then connect with KLM to go on to Johannesburg. I called and verified, and it is definetly a Norhtwest flight.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 02:34 PM

According to the latest report I read, it said that this is a mechanics strike set to start in 30 days. However Northwest has stated that they are nearly done training mechanics to cover for the striking workers and that they plan to use contracter to fill in the gaps. At this moment, it is impossible to say what impact this will have on actual scheduling. But I would keep an eye on the situation, the good news is, that the airlines seems to be committed to keeping their schedules going, and we shall have to see.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 03:16 PM

beept:

I have the opposite problem. I'm due to arrive home from Kenya the evening of August 19th! Wouldn't it be nice to have to spend another few weeks in Kenya because I couldn't get home?!

I too use NW-KLM. It was interesting because traditionally I call the day before my flight to reconfirm. Last night Northwest called me to ask if I was still intended on going or going to cancel. When I mentioned the possible strike they made light of it saying they intended to go on with all flights despite any possible strike.

Guess I won't know whether the strike is on or not until I get back to Nairobi from Tsavo.

Jan
Jul 24th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

JanGoss,
I would much rather have your problem. I would be OK with getting stuck in Africa for a week our two extra, as long as I made it there. I don't think my boss would appreciate it very much though!
Jul 24th, 2005, 04:58 PM

SAA is on strike right now. I was stuck on Friday night in Jo'burg with little relief in sight due to the nature of my ticket (mileage award from Delta - Delta paper ticket). So ended up buying Business Class tickets on Lufthansa to SFO via Frankfurt and got home a few hours ago. So now I have three legs out of four for next year's summer trip taken care of - just I have incurred the expense now. The good news was that we were upgraded to First on both legs coming home, so that was nice.
On a more serious note, we knew about the potential problems with SAA because our ground agents (Wilderness Safaris) had someone meet us at Maun to give us a heads up. We were then able to share that information with several people we had met at various camps.

Friday night in Jo'burg airport with flights being cancelled left and right was not fun, but we hooked up with a family we had met at Mala Mala and pooled our resources, eventually staying at the Grace (all airport hotels were full).

Have this possibility and mind and know what your options are, so that when faced with this situation you can come up with a plan.
Aug 20th, 2005, 07:23 AM

NW is now on strike... we have tickets on KLM for Mpls to Amsterdam. They aren't until Sept 20 but this looks like it will be a long strike. Does anyone know if the strike will effect KLM? This is trip that has been 9 years in the planning... we are going to Cinque Terre, I am so worried that it will once again be canceled. Every other time we have tried to go, one of my children has been hospitalized and we have had to turn in the tickets. We are on Alitalia from Amsterdam on but KLM from Mpls to Amsterdam. Is there anything we should start doing now... or do we just wait and see?
Aug 20th, 2005, 12:46 PM

rwigley - KLM doesn't fly MSP-AMS. All three MSP flights are codeshare on Northwest metals. If NW's flights get cancelled, then KLM will need to find other ways to get you to Italy - whether it's via another KLM gateway, Paris, Rome, or wherever, they'll arrange it for you when your NW flight is officially cancelled.

Keep a close eye on NW's operation, and if things look bad, call KLM in advance to try to rebook your trip with a different itinerary.
Aug 21st, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

rwigley,
Where are you from? I live down in Albert Lea, MN. I am getting quite worried as well, and my flight is on the 1st of September. Your flight from MPLS to Amsterdam is probably a Northwest flight. My travel agent said it is possible that KLM would take over these flights if there is a problem with Northwest. I hope they are right!
Aug 21st, 2005, 12:05 PM

While in Schiphol on Friday I noted that United, Delta and Continental all fly to Amsterdam, albeit not necessarily from Minneapolis. There are other options available should you need them. Don't panic yet.

Jan
Aug 21st, 2005, 03:53 PM

According the several news reports and the NW website, they are pretty much sticking to their scheduled departures. On the company website they say that they have fully licensed FAA approved mechanic (scabs) working and that they are moving forward for business as usual. Hopefully that is the case.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:22 PM

Thyra you should say what you mean next time.

Search this Thread