Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been affected by an airline strike?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have tickets on NWA next week. My local news just reported that the pilots have started informational picketing and that if a judge's decision doesn't go the way the pilots want it to go, a strike could begin next week. I understand that sometimes airlines that have been struck will voluntarily book passengers on competitors' flights, but that this isn't necessarily their responsibility and a refund might be all they can offer.

We live in MSP which is a NWA hub, and NWA controls about 75% of the fights out of here, so the chances of them being able to find empty seats on a partner airline from MSP to Paris are probably pretty slim. Has anyone had any experience with this type of situation? I am starting to wonder if this is going to be the vacation plan from hell. Thanks.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Yes, I have, and my advice, which you may not want to hear, is that you should attempt not to stress about it.

The strike has not yet occurred and may never occur.

There is absolutely nothing you can do about this short of booking flights, yourself, on an alternative airline and I wouldn;t do that and you probably won't either..so please don't waste energy worrying about something that may never happen.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:38 AM

It's not a bad idea to think about what may happen, and what you can do to help yourselves.

First, NWA is a close partner with KLM, while KLM and Air France are coporate sisters. NWA feed huge amount of traffic into AMS from MSP and DTW, so you can expect KLM and AF to start flying to DTW/MSP or help move NW passengers onto their own flights.

Planes across the Atlantic may seem full to you, but they're only at <80% occupancy. NW's share of the N. Atlantic marketshare is less than 20%, so there's enough seats right now, in late Feb/early March to get people to Europe on other airlines with minimal delay (i.e. same day or next-day).

Now, out of MSP, that may be a little tougher. Other airlines may add some frequencies or switch to larger planes, but you still may have trouble finding seats out of there. Skyteam partners CO and DL may help, but cannot totally take care of all MSP-originated customers. So, you need to be flexible. Prepare to drive to ORD or MKE to catch a flight out.

And get the phone numbers of alternate airlines ready. KLM doesn't have a US number, as they're handled totally by NW. But prepare to call all other airlines, especially AF, CO and DL to get them to rebook you. NW's number will be swamped, but if they shut down, the other airlines will try to help.

Finally, if there's something really important that you need to do in Europe next week - million dollar contract to sign, getting married in Santorini, etc - I'd make back-up plans right now. Get on another carrier now a discount tikcet (which you will lose some money on, regardless on outcome), or a full-fare refundable ticket (big money).
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:44 AM

My dad got booted from a NWA flight to Frankfurt when the Iraqi war started. The government took over some of their flights to get troops out. But he was put on a similar flight (connection instead of nonstop I believe) within a day of his original departure.

I'm in Detroit, another huge NWA hub. I'm not sure what will happen here if they go under. The whole brand new airport was built just for them.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

RKKWAN--

You seem to know a lot about this subject. The part I don't understand is if there is a strike, and NWA shuts down, will I need to work through them to rebook since we have e-tickets or can I just go about this on my own? I know the common wisdom used to be that paper tickets are better than e-tickets in case of a need to go to a different airline. But, now it seems nearly all tickets are e-tickets. In the worst case scenario, could I just call a different carrier and ask if they could route us on their planes?

Also, if another carrier would take us, am I correct to assume that there would be no additional fee to us because there is an intra-airline agreement where they cover each other's backs in situations like this? We are of course booked MSP to DTW to make our connection to CDG so it was interesting to hear your perspective that AF and KLM might make some extra flights to MSP to pick some of us up. Thanks for the help.

Intrepid 1--I'm not stressing yet. But, I do want to know the ins and outs of a situation like this in case this does happen.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 02:13 PM

julies - No major airline has shut down since Eastern in the late 80's, so nobody can say what'll exactly happen. And there wasn't any e-ticket then.

Experts in this topic had been telling people to get paper ticket in the past; but it seems like it's not going to matter too mcuh these days.

Other airlines seem to be willing to rebook passengers from Independence for a $50 fee earlier this year, and I don't think Independence issue any paper ticket. It should be the same with NW. Make sure you have your e-ticket receipt printed.