Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

What will happen to my flight if NWA strikes 8/20?

Jul 31st, 2005, 02:28 PM
katybird

I have tickets for Aug 30 with a return Sept 13. Need I worry?

Jul 31st, 2005, 02:50 PM

If NW stops operating because of a strike, you will be able to use your ticket on the other major airlines, but you will be standby and I'm sorry to say, at the bottom of the proverbial totem pole on the list. They will accept your ticket if there are any seats available after they accomodate everybody else.

The strike is still a big if, so who knows, but if it does happen, there will be bunch of unhappy NW flyers at the airports fighting for limited seats.

Good luck, and let's hope it does not happen, for the sake of all the flyers, but more importantly, for the sake of NW and it's employees. I'm not sure NW can survive a strike.
Aug 1st, 2005, 03:23 AM

Flying Northwest this weekend, it's clear that some job actions are already underway with delays and cancellations being pretty common. Northwest is planning to continue flying in the event of a strike:

"Under terms of the federal Railway Labor Act, a thirty-day “cooling off” period has begun. It is planned that both parties will continue labor negotiations with the goal of reaching a new agreement in advance of a 12:01 a.m. EDT, August 20, 2005 deadline.

“Northwest Airlines wants to continue to work with AMFA negotiators to reach a consensual agreement that provides wage and benefit levels that are fair to our employees while allowing Northwest to stem its record operating losses,” said Andrew C. Roberts, executive vice president-operations.

“Northwest Airlines believes that an end to NMB mediation was necessary so that a deadline could be established.”

“While Northwest wants to reach an expedited agreement with AMFA, whatever the outcome of negotiations during the next 30 days, Northwest customers can continue to depend on Northwest to meet their travel needs. In preparation for any possible job action, the airline has developed comprehensive contingency plans, including expanded vendor relationships and the augmentation of airline staff, to ensure that Northwest continues to operate reliably and is able to fly its full schedule,” Roberts said.

Stay tuned.
Aug 1st, 2005, 04:58 AM

I am afraid there will be a strike. I am in Minneapolis, and there is a lot of bad talk. Northwest plans to continue flying with replacement workers. I am sure there will be cancelled flights. Since most flyers are on nonrefundable tickets, there isn't much we can do. Just keep your fingers crossed and if you can, don't make any nonchangeable arrangements for your stay!
Aug 1st, 2005, 05:44 AM

I'm on a route where only NW has direct flights. How would this work if I need to take a connecting flight to my final destination? I assume I'd be standby on both flights.
Aug 1st, 2005, 04:13 PM

MIWinnie - While the mechanics may strike, the airline will still operate, to an extent. They will try to get you to your destination - just don't worry too much about how and when.

And have the airline's phone reservation number on hand, as the agents at the airport will be swamped. Call instead to have things arranged in case your flight is cancelled.
Aug 1st, 2005, 04:46 PM
katybird

At what point do we know there have been changes or our flights cancelled?
Do they notify you ahead of time...like a few days or do you find out when you show up at the airport?

Aug 1st, 2005, 05:05 PM

Since NW is trying to maintain as many flights as possible, I'd think you won't know until the day of flying. But do check their website frequently. I doubt they will call each affected passenger.
Aug 1st, 2005, 05:15 PM
katybird

Thanks rkkwan!
I just want to make it to Seattle to catch the cruise ship to Alaska! I don't care how or when I get back home!
Keeping my fingers crossed..I had such nice convenient flights reserved and now I am just hoping I get there SOMEHOW.

Aug 1st, 2005, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the info and advice, rkkwan. I will be staying with family, so if my flight gets cancelled, my mom will be thrilled to keep me for a few more days.