African vacation with only 9-10 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to Africa twice. First time to Uganda for six months of volunteer work, second time to Gabon for four months of research. I only have 9-10 days for a vacation available, basically taking a week off of work plus the two weekends on either side of the week.

My first choice for vacation is Africa--especially because my husband has never been, but I don't think 9-10 days is enough time to make it worth while. I'm just curious if anyone else has done a vacation to Africa in this amount of time? If so, where did you go and what were you able to do in that amount of time?

I live in Madison, WI so I would likely fly out of Chicago.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 11:37 AM

I think any amount of time is worth it! Many years ago, my husband and i were speaking at a conference in Zaire (as it was known then). We added on a brief safari in Kenya and have always thought it was well worth it and that safari was only 3 days long. Later (last year) we traveled to Tanzania for two weeks, but only 7-8 days was actually on safari and again it was unforgettable. I say GO! www.pbase,com/pattyroth
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Your question caught my eye because we have 9 nights booked at Kruger next September, doing a self-drive and staying at the restcamps. 6 nights in the camps and 3 on a Wilderness trail. We are travelling from California, so we have a ridiculous amount of travel time, and will probably spend 3 days in Europe somewhere going over. You could probably fly Chicago to Johannesburg with only 1 stop.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Check your flight schedules. Takes close to two days to get there (from USA, I'm in CA) because you have a nine hour time loss. So you start your vacation (safari?) the third day. Then getting back also wastes two days, you have to get back to Madison. Leaves you what, 6 days for vacation?

regards - tom
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi mm,

you could have a terrific time in Cape town in 9-10 days, or 5 days in Cape town and 4 on safari if you prefer.

regards, ann
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Shortest I've ever done was:

Fri - SFO-LHR
Sat - LHR-JHB
Sun - JHB-Mala Mala
Fri - JHB-LHR
Sat - LHR-SFO

8 nights on vacation (3 in planes) and 5 days at Mala Mala.

Most of my trips now are 8-10 days on safari plus three days traveling.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 03:34 PM

We did 6 nights in Kenya earlier this year, 1 overnight in Nairobi and 5 nights at Lewa WC, on the Laikipia Plateau. This was from Australia so probably even more travel time than you would have from the States. We had an amazing experience. You could do something similar but stay the 5 nights in the Mara and equally have an amazing time. I wouldn't do more than 1 location.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM

You could also do a really nice gorilla-trekking trip in Uganda and Rwanda -- our trip to do that lasted only 8 days (although it was part of a larger trip, the gorilla segment was only 8 days, visiting Volcanoes NP in Rwanda, Mghahinga and Bwindi in Uganda). It's not a conventional safari but it is a mind-blowing experience!

Chris
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 04:07 PM

I posted the same question not long ago on this link.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35157779

You'll see the overwhelming response was to just do it.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 05:22 PM

Napamatt,

You should give Emirates a try one of these trips, especially since they are now flying into SFO. But, maybe a longer trip? although, will not be the hassle of going thru Heathrow.

Cheers
Hari
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 12:26 AM

Coming to Africa you just have to make the best choice,since Africa is a wind continent,just have a look at East Africa where you will get Kenya as a country with 7th wonder of the world(wildebeest migrations)and all it takes to be a tourist.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 01:03 AM

Maasai Mara in Kenya for two nights , Lake Nakuru , The Crescent Island , Lewa Conservancy , Kenya is the best holiday destination .Since you are with yur husband , also consider a night at the Spa Resort on the shores of lake Bogoria . Travel at your own pace , not wasting time nor being too fast by going around with a private guide . You will discover that this way , you will be able to manage your time/ days very well unlike when you join another group where you will need to go with a fixed itinerary . waiting for your report from Kenya.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 02:33 AM

We are going to MalaMala for just 4 nights in March. We fly London to Jburg then straight on to Rattrays in time for the afternoon drive. Stay 3 more days and leave after the morning drive to return to Jburg and catch evening flight back to London.

Crazy I know but its all the time we can get from work.

regards
Barbara
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:34 AM

Hari

I've considered it, but I have FF miles on United, Virgin and Amex points. Also I have family in London, so it helps with the guilt thing.

Lastly LHR is not bad, particularly UC in Virgin - they have their own security line. It's 10 minutes from check in to the lounge - which is the best airport lounge in the world.

Matt
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:55 AM

Hari

Better still is a RTW ticket on VS/ Singapore in Upper / Business for $6600.

The idea on that trip is

SFO-LHR-JNB-AAM
6-8 at MM / Rattrays
AAM-JNB
1 night - afternoon birding near JNB
JNB-SIN
12 hr layover - bird Singapore Island
SIN-LAX-SFO
About a 13 day trip.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 07:47 AM

We went with www.masaitravel.com out of the US to Tanzania in March for the same period of time. It was my wifes first trip. Their packages include airfare, transfer,...everything and far more reasonable than the other quotes we got. The trip was fantastic, we did the Royal Tanzania trip.

Good luck.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 07:58 AM

P.S. We booked our trip Roy Safari and Susan Wood in the US helped us totally customize it. You could do the same to maximize your time. We had our own driver and he was very flexible. We flew into Arusha, traveled on to Tarangire, then to the Crater and then to the Serengeti. All quite doable if you fly back to Arusha or Dar.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 08:33 AM

Agree completely w/napamatt_<i>n</i> about RTW tickets!

Next spring, I'll start in Seoul and stop in Beijing, Chengdu, Osaka, and Tokyo before heading home to Boston. Then in late summer, I finish the RTW stopping in Salzburg, Kenya (5 days in the Mara, for the migration), Jo'burg (3 days, TBD), and Hong Kong before going back to Seoul and then home to Boston. All for $4800+taxes &amp; surcharges in business class (Star Alliance).
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 04:30 AM

Napamatt,

Choice 2 is even better - SIA is a great airline and even better than Emirates.

Haven't been through LHR since 2005 so I haven't any current experiences. I will probably in go for the T20 World cup next June, though.

Hari