Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any reason we shouldn't drive from Jo'Burg to Kruger?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to South Africa next week - one week in Cape Town area and then we fly to Jo'Burg and go on to Kruger. Some friends expressed concern about us driving ourselves, saying the Jo'Burg area is very dangerous. I think they're just overly cautious. Are they? Or should we be concerned?
Thanks for your help.
Samantha
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Yes they are probably overly cautious, but if you are concerned I would recommend you not pull off the road even if you see other travelers who appear to have pulled off the road in distress (flat tire, etc.).

My husband and I have done two self-drives in Kruger and had a wonderful time both times with no problems. Friends lived in Pretoria and said to be careful but drove anywhere anyway.

Enjoy your time in South Africa, it is a gorgeous country.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 07:16 PM

Hi Sam

You'll be driving from OR Tambo airport away from Joburg on the N4 highway, never actually approaching the city, which will reduce your already very low risk even further. I'll be doing this exact drive once again in January and won't think twice about it.

When you drive, you'll also have the chance to see many of the other aspects of the Lowveld besides the Kruger NP. I realise that it's short notice (next week!), but you might have a moment or two for a bit of culture with your safari...suggestions at http://afrikatourism.blogspot.com/20...d-culture.html

Enjoy it!

HTH

Kurt
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM

We did a panoramic tour from Mala Mala, a stop at Chimp Eden, and then the drive to JoBurg with a driver. After the highlights that we loved, the drive was long and boring (4 hours I think?), and I wished the whole time that we had flown since it wouldn't have been much more expensive. Just my two cents.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 09:30 AM

Back in 99 we did the drive, leaving ORT around 3:30pm having flown in from Vic Falls. We overnighted at Dullstroom, then made our way slowly to Hazyview we were overnighted. We did a quick self drive into Kruger that afternoon for fun.
On leaving MM we spent two nights in Hazyview and one day touring the escarpment sites, then it took about 6 hours to get back to ORT. At no time did we feel unsafe.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 10:35 AM

These friends, do they live around Joburg?

We have driven from JNB airport to Kruger in 2006 and 2007 and will again in 2009. No problems, no fears, easy to do, you get on freeway/tollway and drive over. Then spend a few nights in Kruger being your own ranger and staying at one of the rest camp nice little bungalows.

Here's link to my Fodors trip report of 2007 where we start our safari by driving to Kruger -
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35083850

regards - tom
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 05:27 AM

I completely agree. It is a lovely drive and no reason to feel unsafe. I send people along that route all the time and have driven it many times myself.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Would anyone change his or her opinion if the driver were a single female, driving alone? Would you add anything?
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM

We recently hired a driver to take our group from Jo’berg to Kruger. It is a boring drive.Don’t do it at night because of the animals wander onto the road at night. We stopped at a strip mall for snacks. I used the convenience store ATM so I would have money to pay our guides. The ATM kept giving me an error message and a man came over to help me. You can figure out the rest. Four days later when I went to an ATM in Cape Town I discovered I was cleaned out of $6,000. The area we stopped in was CYCAD_PLAZA MIDDELBURG R. I took this right off my bank statement. If you stop at this plaza be very careful. I would just fly to Kruger
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 02:09 PM

You don't have to be in South Africa to know that
- Rule 1 (and only #1) - if someone offers to help at an ATM it's best to hit Cancel and leave to find another machine or go into a bank.

It's going to be a problem to allow anyone, anywhere near you when using an ATM.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 02:09 PM

NO REASON to worry!

we regularly drive from OR TAMBO to nelspruit/sabi sand and vv.

get a mid size car which allows to speed if sou feel the need, leave space at traffic lights (approx 2 m to the next car) in order to take off if necessary and enjoy the ride.

5 hrs should be sufficient for that ride - despite i once made it in 3 which i would not do again.

if something happens you are in the wring place at the wrong time! as anywhere else in the world.

div
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 09:53 PM

"I would just fly to Kruger"
OK, anyone ever done that? What airline did you use? When, what year was it? Did it fly into Kruger? What did you do after you left the plane, walk around Kruger?

Skukuza airport, the inside Kruger airport is no longer used for commercial flights. But you can still fly in on a charter, I think, at least I did it in May of 2007 (Federal Air?). The airport terminal building was deserted, empty, I used it as a transfer to pick up another charter flight. Mpumalanga (MPA) is now the commercial airport for Kruger and it is not in Kruger. You could rent/hire a car there and then drive into Kruger. Just some details that have to be worked out if you "just fly to Kruger".

regards - tom
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 04:05 AM

If you fly to Phalaborwa, you are practically in Kruger when you land.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 08:07 AM

True, Phalaborwa airport (I've not been there) is very close to the Kruger Phalaborwa gate. SAA flys there I think, I know SAA flys to Hoedspruit from JNB twice daily. Hoedspruit airport (been there) is also not that far away from the Orpen gate, about 30 mins drive I think. There is Avis car rental/hire at both Skukuza and Hoedspruit (Phalaborwa?) so you could drive into Kruger from there.

FWIW, we typically rent car at JNB, drive to Kruger for several days. Then drive out to Hoedspruit, pick up an Avis person, drive into Timabavati Reserve to safari camp and the Avis person takes car back to Hoedspruit. If you are going to Sabi Sand Reserve after Kruger, Avis has office in Skukuza camp so you can do same routine out of Kruger Skukuza.

regards - tom
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM

Pula, you asked about adding anything. If you are not accustomed to driving on the left side of the road and think you might have trouble adjusting, that could be a problem when you are in the cities and not just on the highway.

For that reason I won't drive alone and I am female traveling alone.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 12:56 PM

We are off in December to Kruger area. We have driven it many times over the years, but everything we have heard about deteriorating roads has made us decide to fly this time. We are flying with SAA, flying into Hoedspruit and out of Nelspruit. Hiring a car at Hoedspruit airport and returning at Nelspruit airport. Will report back after the trip.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 01:10 PM

I'd be interested in knowing more about deteriorating roads to Kruger. Any SA locals, knowing more??

We drove to JNB to Hoedspruit and surrounds and Kruger in Sep of 2007. And noticed nothing un-ordinary. Planning to do same in Sep 2009. Link to that Fodor's 2007 trip report -
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35083850

regards - tom