- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Guayaquileños flock to the popular if sometimes overcrowded beaches here on holidays and during the hot and humid rainy season. Deep-sea fishing is another draw. The continental shelf drops sharply to the ocean floor just 19 km (12 mi) offshore, providing a fertile feeding ground for Pacific sailfish, swordfish, and amberjack, as well as striped, blue, and black marlin. The biggest catches are made November through May, but fishing continues year-round. An excellent highway connects Salinas and Guayaquil.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's