In California's premier wine region, the pleasures of eating and drinking are celebrated daily. It's easy to join in at famous wineries and rising newcomers off country roads, or at trendy in-town tasting rooms. Chefs transform local ingredients into feasts, and gourmet groceries sell perfect picnic fare. Yountville, Healdsburg, and St. Helena have small-town charm as well as luxurious inns, hotels, and spas, yet the natural setting is equally sublime, whether experienced from a canoe on the Russian River or the deck of a winery overlooking endless rows of vines.
- Fine Wine Rutherford Cabernets, Carneros Chardonnays, Russian River Pinots.
- Spectacular Food Marquee Napa chefs, farmers' markets, Sonoma cheese shops.
- Cool Towns From chic Healdsburg to laid-back Calistoga, a place to suit every mood.
- Spas Mud baths, herbal wraps, couples' massages, and more in soothing settings.
- Outdoor Fun Biking past bright-green vineyards, hot-air ballooning over golden hills.
- Winery Architecture Stone classics like Buena Vista, all-glass dazzlers like Hall.