- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Çeşme, originally a local beach getaway for İzmirians, has now also become a popular summer destination for Istanbul's elite. Despite rapid development, much of the town retains its provincial feel, even if you have to sometimes travel off the beaten path to find it. The location leaves the town exposed to constant winds, making it a hot spot for surfing and windsurfing.
Çeşme is on a bay encircled by small towns that are becoming destinations unto themselves, most of which have better stretches of beach than Çeşme proper. Dalyan is on the northernmost tip of the bay, while the surfer's paradise, Alaçatı, is southeast of Çeşme proper. Ilıca, directly south of Alaçatı, is Çeşme's most popular (and closest) neighboring beach town and the first one you'll arrive at if coming from Izmir.
Çeşme at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Central and Southern Aegean Coast
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's