- The Matterhorn Shutter-snap this glorious enigma from all angles, be it a luxury hotel room at its base or the sky-high Gornegrat–Monte Rosa Bahn.
- Great downhill skiing In Valais there's a ski resort for everyone, from family-friendly Saas-Fee to tourist-beloved Zermatt to chic Crans-Montana and Verbier.
- Cantonal capital Presided over by the castle of Tourbillon, Sion is a fortified link in the giant web of precipitous passes.
- Mineral baths Known for its natural thermal baths, the year-round destination of Leukerbad lets you dip into Switzerland's healing mineral-rich waters.
- Wine route Bike-friendly Valais offers a verdant landscape with centuries-old vineyards and unique varietals grown nowhere else.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More