- Three corners Not many cities offer a more cosmopolitan mix. Here Switzerland merges with Germany and France, and Basel is home to some 150 nationalities.
- Art old and new This city of the arts has galleries full of old master paintings and some pictures so contemporary the paint is still drying—more than 30 museums cater to every taste.
- Fasnacht Each spring during its three-day Lenten celebration the city's streets are filled with spectacularly costumed revelers, bands, and pipers.
- Münster madness Not only is this cathedral an amazing piece of architecture, it also offers fabulous views of the city and the River Rhine.
- Noble dust A short boat ride from Basel, the Colonia Augusta Raurica is the oldest Roman settlement on the Rhine, complete with a restored 1st-century BC theater.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More