- Stately Clonmacnoise Atmospheric and still spirit-warm, this great early Christian monastery survived Viking, Norman, and English invaders over the centuries.
- Green Mansions While known for its rich farmlands, the Midlands is also home to stately homes and gardens, including fairy-tale Tullynally Castle and Birr Castle.
- Hiking the Slieve Bloom Mountains Dip in and out of the 32-km (20-mile) Slieve Bloom Trail, ideal hiking country for those with a yen to rise above their surroundings.
- Athlone The restored 13th-century castle along with the quirky shops and Europe's oldest pub are worth taking time to visit, as is the newly opened Luan Gallery.
- The Treasure House of Emo A quintessential landmark of 18th-century Palladian elegance, Emo—the former home of the Earl of Portarlington—has a spectacular rotunda inspired by Rome's Pantheon.
Want to stay at the finest properties when you travel? Check out our annual list of the 100 best hotels in the world.More