- Wine German Rieslings are some of the most versatile white wines in the world—on their own or with food. If you've only had the sweeter style, then the rest may be a revelation.
- Festivals Wine is a great excuse for merrymaking, and there are scores of wine festivals throughout the region. The biggest and best is in the town of Bad Dürkheim, which features a wine barrel the size of a building.
- Pfälzerwald The Palatinate Forest is a paradise for hiking and cycling. Even a brief walk under the beautiful pine and chestnut trees is relaxing and refreshing.
- Castles Burg Trifels and Schloss Villa Ludwigshöhe are a contrast in style, inside and out. Both are wonderful settings for concerts.
- Cathedrals The cathedrals in Speyer, Worms, and Mainz are the finest examples of grand-scale Rhenish Romanesque architecture in Germany.
Want to stay at the finest properties when you travel? Check out our annual list of the 100 best hotels in the world.More