- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Zealand
The Last Resort
At a Glance
- authentic accommodations
- decent bar-bistro and a restaurant
- helicopters land nearby to whisk you off to the national park
- on the main street
Check Rates from our Partners
The Last Resort Review
The glowing hardwood beams, stylish local artwork, and unusual turf roof make the Last Resort look very much at one with its surroundings, which are truly the last place to stay on the West Coast, heading north. The resort was largely hand-built; much of the timber was salvaged from the forest floor, following the end of milling the local rain forest. Check out the solid 24-meter-long (80-foot-long) hardwood roof beam in the bar area. Accommodations include two-bedroom cottages, studio units, en suite lodge rooms, and lodge rooms with shared facilities. Your hosts can arrange tours, helicopter rides, and shuttles to and from the Heaphy Track.
- Address: 71 Waverley St., Karamea, 7893 | Map It
- Phone: 03/782–6617; 0800/505–042 (NZ only)
- Website: www.lastresort.co.nz
- Location: Karamea
- 18 en suite studios (3 self-contained, 13 with kitchenette), 6 lodge rooms (shared bath), 3 cottages, 3 dorm rooms.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
I had a few extra days after a meeting in Christchurch to see some places I've missed in previous trips to NZ. Read more
My husband and I are going to be in New Zealand from March 19-26. Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more