- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Zealand
The Last Resort
At a Glance
- authentic accommodations
- decent bar-bistro and a restaurant
- helicopters land nearby to whisk you off to the national park
- on the main street
Check Rates from our Partners
The Last Resort Review
The glowing hardwood beams, stylish local artwork, and unusual turf roof make the Last Resort look very much at one with its surroundings, which are truly the last place to stay on the West Coast, heading north. The resort was largely hand-built; much of the timber was salvaged from the forest floor, following the end of milling the local rain forest. Check out the solid 24-meter-long (80-foot-long) hardwood roof beam in the bar area. Accommodations include two-bedroom cottages, studio units, en suite lodge rooms, and lodge rooms with shared facilities. Your hosts can arrange tours, helicopter rides, and shuttles to and from the Heaphy Track.
- Address: 71 Waverley St., Karamea, 7893 | Map It
- Phone: 03/782–6617; 0800/505–042 (NZ only)
- Website: www.lastresort.co.nz
- Location: Karamea
- 18 en suite studios (3 self-contained, 13 with kitchenette), 6 lodge rooms (shared bath), 3 cottages, 3 dorm rooms.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thank you to all the Fodorites who helped plan this trip of a lifetime. Read more
Since this board, especially Mel, was so helpful to me while I planned my trip I wanted to pay it forward and do a short trip report. Read more
26 Day Road trip
Hi, we are two couples early 50's embarking on a 26 day road trip through the South & North islands in Nov. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more