- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Last Resort
At a Glance
- there are a bar–bistro and a restaurant
- helicopters land nearby to whisk you off to the national park
- three two-bedroom cottages are NZ$155 a night
- on the main street of Karamea village
The Last Resort Review
Karamea is one of those deliciously remote places. The Last Resort was largely hand built; its glowing hardwood beams, stylish local artwork, and unusual turf roof make it look very much at one with its surroundings. They can arrange tours, helicopter rides, and shuttles to and from the Heaphy Track, providing a one-stop booking service for the whole experience. Check out the solid 24-meter-long (80-foot-long) hardwood roof beam in the bar area.
- Address: 71 Waverley St., Karamea, 7893 | Map It
- Phone: 03/782–6617; 0800/505–042 (NZ only)
- Website: www.lastresort.co.nz
- Location: Karamea
- 18 en suite studios (3 self-contained, 13 with kitchenette), 6 lodge rooms (shared bath), 3 cottages, 3 dorm rooms.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hai everyone... I finally visited New Zealand... Yeay!!!! I am pretty proud of myself because I did all the driving and planning... We had 12 days journey in North Island from October 13 to October 24.. Read more
August 15-Sept 14, 2013
My love affair with the South Island of New Zealand continues. Read more
Hi guys, I'm starting to organize my wardrobe for 5 days in Sydney and 10 day cruise to Auckland on Regent Voyager in January. Read more
· News & Features
With Art Basel Miami now in town, it's prime time to consider the 7 reasons why you should be taking a... Read more
New York City offers irresistible retail therapy during the holiday season.... Read more
Next year, crazed soccer fans the world will descend upon Brazil, host of the 2014 World Cup.... Read more