Lights, sushi, manga! Sprawling, frenetic, and endlessly fascinating, Japan’s capital is a city of contrasts. Shrines and gardens are pockets of calm between famously crowded streets and soaring office buildings. Mom-and-pop noodle houses share street space with Western-style chain restaurants and exquisite fine dining. Shopping yields lovely folk arts as well as the newest electronics. And nightlife kicks off with karaoke or sake and continues with techno clubs and more. Whether you seek the traditional or the cutting edge, Tokyo will provide it.
- Ultimate cityscape A skyline of neon-lighted streets and vast high-rises awes the senses.
- Incredible eats From humble ramen to sumptuous sushi, Tokyo is foodie heaven.
- Green havens Pristine gardens and lush city-center parks soften the urban scene.
- Fashion-forward shops From Muji to Miyake, Tokyo is a playground for shopaholics.
- Contemporary art The Mori Art Museum caps a stunningly diverse scene.
- Sacred spaces Senso-ji Complex and Meiji Shrine offer spiritual retreats.