- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- prime location in the middle of Etosha
- good restaurant
- one of the quieter and less trafficked camps
- mosquito nets are not all in great shape
- electricity can go out, which renders a/c useless
Etosha's smallest NWR camp with self-catering and non-self-catering chalets as well as a campsite has undergone a renovation that has vastly improved most of the chalets (though the cheapest category is still very small). If you're a bird-watcher, this place merits a giant check mark on your list. Rare violet wood hoopoes and bare-cheeked babblers frequent the camp, and if you walk up the rocky path to the pleasant floodlighted water hole and are prepared to sit and wait, there's a good chance you'll spot lions, elephants, and black rhinos. Halali, which is roughly halfway between Okuakuejo and Namutoni, is in the only area of the park with hills. Halali offers its own game drives, and its small convenience store is useful, even if the stock is somewhat limited and costly.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Here's a trip report from our 3+ week trip to Africa. Read more
Thanks so much to all those on this forum for helping me to plan my recent trip to South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Namibia. Read more
3 nts and 3 nts?
3 and 2?
This would be pre-Etosha.
Looking to maximize chance at desert rhino and ele and other unique desert species/habitat.
Looking to hold down lodging costs.
What do you Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more