Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transfer from Amalfi to Naples...stop in Pompeii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing some very advanced planning for next spring here..
Instead of taking a day from either Amalfi or Naples to visit Pompeii, I am wondering about the feasibility of stopping in Pompeii en route from Amalfi to Naples. Not wanting to schlep luggage, we may end up hiring a driver for the transfer between the AC and Naples. Has anyone included a stop in Pompeii en route? It would be nice to be able to leave the luggage with the driver...

Any idea of the cost? (I know it will be very expensive!! I would imagine about 100 euro or so for the straight transfer Amalfi-Naples..wondering what adding Pompeii would bring the total to...maybe too high to even consider..)

More or less, how much time should I allot to visiting Pompeii..two hours? More??

Has anyone had lunch at the celebrated restaurant Il Principe in Pompeii?
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 09:54 AM

Book a trip to Pompeii from somewhere. I'd say allow at least 3 hours there.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 09:59 AM

I asked the guy we hired and it was several hundred dollars to stop at Pompeii
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 10:02 AM

Sorry, it was several euros not dollars extra
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 10:14 AM
kja

I spent about 5 hours at Pompeii, and could easily imagine spending much more time if I had visited at a more leisurely pace or stopped to see more things there. I'm sure people differ greatly in how much time they spend at Pompeii, but I must admit that 2 hours doesn't seem like very much time to me. Hope that helps!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 11:01 AM

I was curious myself, so I did some research and I found a resonably priced tour company:

http://www.limoservicesrome.com/amal...eeingtours.htm

Please note that I know nothing about this company but they service the areas that you mentioned and include visits to Pompeii. From what I read, it looks like you would have to contact them directly for a quote on a private transfer, unless it was a round-trip tour.

Love to know what you find out though!

Ciaolaura
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 11:56 AM
ira

Hi ek,

You might want to take the SITA bus to Meta and get the Circumvesuviana to Pompei Scavi from there.

There is luggage storage at the site.

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Ira. I know this can easily be done by public tranport; however, your suggestion would entail quite bit of time not to mention the possibility of not getting a seat on the bus. I am interested in exploring the private car options at this point...

If these are too costly, I can take a day from either Amalfi or Naples and go by public tranport..I was hoping to combine a visit to Pomppeii with the actual transfer to Naples..
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 02:48 AM

I have no idea as to the cost of a driver, but if you are planning a stay in Naples, I would rely on the transit system instead. It is much more relaxing than being in the car of a southern Italian driver.

Something else to consider in regards to time. Pompeii is huge. If you only have 2-3 hours to spend there, I suggest going to Herculaneum instead. It is smaller, less crowded, and better preserved. You won't find the casts of the victims, but all the buildings look as if they couldn't possibly be over 100 years old!
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Your stop would probably work, but it really isn't a tough trip from Naples. If you mean Amalfi the town (as opposed to the region) it will take a bit longer to get there on that cruddy little train but it still shouldn't be bad. We went from Sorrento then on to Naples and back to Sorrento as a day trip and didn't have any problems. As for a good driver, Rick Steves recommends Carmello I belive in his Naples and Amalfi book...check it out at the library and then email him for info and rates.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Hi Eks - I think - depending on how long you stop - you'd probably be looking at € 200 for a Pompeii stopover.

Personally I don't think 2 hours is anywhere near enough for Pompeii. I spent 4 hrs there last time and still didn't see it all ...

There is a bus service (- infrequent) between Pompeii and Amalfi.

But really it would be easiest to visit from Naples - it's only 30 mins train ride.

Steve
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 07:52 AM
kp

We were very happy with the service provided by Tour of Italy.
In June 2007 our costs were: Transfers both ways (Naples/Sorrento/Naples) 190.00 Euro. Stop at Pompeii for 2 hours with an English speaking guide 100.00 Euro, (cost of the guide without tip).
www.tourofitaly.com