Notices

pompeii, Paestum or Herculaeum?

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pompeii, Paestum or Herculaeum?

My husband wants to visit one of these sites when we are in Italy next May, but not all. I think one will be all I can handle as well.

We will be staying in Positano, so want something easy to get to from there. We've heard Pompeii is crowded, so it may be between Pasetum or Herculeaum.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:24 PM

I was in Pompeii in April, 2000 and there were a lot of people but the area is so large that it didn't seem crowded, except around the entrance area and the cafe. There were places where I was alone with no other sightseers around; just me and a guard.

I was just looking at how to get to Paestum (planning my itinerary for a month in Italy next year). It seems a bit far away. You would have to take a train or bus from Salerno.

I think Pompeii or Herculanum would be easier to get to.

In terms of not doing all three, I've read comments on this board about how different they are from each other. And, Paestum is should be very different from Pompeii or Herculanum.

If you do choose Pompeii be sure to get a guide. I was sorry I didn't and so am planning on going back (I plan to do all three).
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 06:14 PM
ira

Hi W,

Each is intriguing in its own way.

One advantage to Paestum is that when you mention you went there you will find very few people who will insist on telling you about their visit.

We visited Paestum last Oct. It's a very nice day trip.

See my report for full particulars.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 06:34 PM

We've been to all three. My choice would be Herculeaneum. (sp?) It left the most lasting impression with me. Pompeii takes a lot of time to do it right. From the Amalfi coast travel to Paestum is more of a chore than your other choices. In any case, do research beforehand and get a good guide to really appreciate these sites.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 06:35 PM

We went to all 3 last month....There is a lot of work going on at Paestum..It looked liked they were trying to get it in order for the summer season! There are a few temples but not the extent or excitement of the other two.
I would suggest more time at Pompeii and Herculaneum, especially Herculaneum. And get the "phone guides.." Those were great........
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 06:49 PM

We visited Pompeii and Paestum in 1997, and found both of them uniquely different - Pompeii is Roman and Paestum is Greek.

Unfortunately for us (fortunate for the rest of the world) Paestum was undergoing major restoration when we were there, so most of the temples were covered with scaffolding. None the less, it was still magnificent. The size and architecture of the many temples and buildings scattered around the large field where they remain was breathtaking.

Pompeii was everything that I expected and more - I can remember studying the eruption of Vesuvius in history class, so my visit there was a long achieved dream. Pompeii had more of a feeling of a town/city. I swear I could feel the spirits of the people going about their daily tasks, visiting the bar, the bakery, the spa, etc..., whisking down the street, being mindful to stay on the sidewalk and not step in the "gutter". Pompeii might be more convenient for you to day trip to if you are using public transportation from Positano. We were there in March and, as adrienne stated, there were some crowds, but the place is so large you can easily find a space to be alone.

I don't envy your decision, having been faced with it ourselves in 1997. We couldn't make up our minds which to see, so we just arranged our schedule to do both...and I'm glad we did. Peace.

Robyn
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:53 AM

Does anyone know if Paestum is still undergoing renovations and covered with scaffolding? We will be there 5-17
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:41 PM

ttt before I try a separate thread
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:21 PM

I visited all three in late January this year and was lucky in that there were few tourists around - I was the ONLY person exploring Paestum on a Saturday morning!

I'd find it difficult to choose between Pompeii/Heraculaneum and Paestum as they are very different. I would recommend that you do two: Pompeii and Paestum plus the museum.

Get there early in the morning to avoid the crowds. Pompeii will take 3-4 hours to see the highlights. Paestum: an hour for the site and an hour for the museum.

TexasAggie: There were no scaffolds up when I visited Paestum in late January.

Regards Ger
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:27 PM

Thanks Ger!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 02:11 PM

We have been to all three as well...and all three are very different.

I find that sometimes photos speak volumes. Unfortunately, our Pompeii photos are not digital so they are not online yet, but take a look here at my photo albums Recap and Part 1) for photos of both Herculaneum/Ercolano and Paestum from our trip last year. http://www.slowtrips.com/photo/showg...500&ppuser=146

Maybe the photos will help you make a decision.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 03:44 AM

It has been mentioned in other posts that one of the best bits of Pompei is closed for renovation - until at least next year I think.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 05:41 AM
pg

I would suggest that if you go to Pompei, you consider taking a bus to the top of Mt Vesuvius. BTW - on the day we visited Pompei, there was a tourist promotion going on which gave us free entrance to the ruins.
We went there in early March this year and the crater at Vesuvio and view from the top gave a very good perspective.
I think it makes total sense that you are planning to do only one of the 3 ruins - I discovered after seeing Pompei, that unlike so many others, I am not a ruins-kind of a person. Until seeing Pompei, and some sites in Rome, travelling to Egypt used to be at the very top of my list - but now I know that I have little fascination for broken columns, or sculptures with broken nose, ears or private parts.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 06:08 AM

Could someone give a detailed description on how to get to the Archeological museum in Naples after getting off the train from Pompeii. Thank you.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:53 AM

There is a map in the Rick Steve's Italy book that details how to get from the central train station to the museum. I don't have it with me, but I think it looked to be about a mile away.