Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Napa/Sonoma hotel with luxury, romance, vineyard views?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, looking for recommendations for your favorite hotel, B&B, spa/resort in the Napa or Sonoma areas that offer romance, maybe some vienyard views, ideally some luxury (linens, bath, etc).

In house spa is nice but not necessary.

I'm planning my husband's 40th birthday and we've always talked about going away to Auberge du Soleil or some other luxuriious spa (SANS the kids!!!).

Our budget is as yet to be determined, so hit me with your best reommendations.

Thanks,
Kat
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 02:55 PM

We love Auberge du Soleil.

www.aubergedusoleil.com
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 02:56 PM

It's not in Napa, but Sonoma County, which Ithink is better, less touristy, more relaxed, with equally good or better wine and food....The Vintner's Inn just north of Santa Rosa, and it's paired with t he great restaurant, John Ask & Co.
Not great views, but luxury and romance, the Farmhouse Inn in Forrestville (also has top notch food) or the Grape Leaf Inn in Healdsburg.
Heard great things about Madrona Manor in the same area, but haven't tried it.

If you're set on Napa, Meadowood is excellent.
Also with a good rep that I haven't tried is the Wine Country Inn just north of St. Helena.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 06:19 PM

There are several nice places in Yountville and my GF likes Wine Country Inn

http://winecountryinn.rtrk.com/?scid...=1140919:15123
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 06:34 PM

I Loved Masion Fleurie in Yountville. http://www.foursisters.com/inns.htm Close enough to many terrific restaurants to walk but across from a grape fielld with quaint cottages, appetizers/wine happy hours, and breakfast included. It has a french garden feel. Personally would love to go back here! But it is not High End luxury and your money can go for wine, food, other luxuries.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 07:49 AM

The Sonoma Mission Inn is a nice resort with a fantastic spa there. In Yountville, we like the Villagio Inn & Spa, they just completed a new spa there this past March. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Auberge Soleil is an excellent choice, excellent food and beautiful service as well, but pricey.

We haven't stayed at the Madrona Manner for a long time, but loved it when we did on several occasions. Once again, food there is also terrific.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:45 AM

auberge is outstanding, truelly. but if you don't end up staying there, you can always just have lunch there and over look the whole valley. my best kept secret near sonoma is the vintner's inn in santa rosa, but don't tell anyone. ;-)
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:50 AM

We spent our honeymoon at the Farmhouse Inn in Sonoma County. It is beautiful there, and they have a great spa. Also, very close to many small wineries including my favorite, Moshin. The wineries in the Russian River Valley are smaller and don't charge a lot for tastings. In Napa, the wineries were mobbed, and they were names you can get at Trader Joe's in your hometown.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Also, the three-course breakfast at the Farmhouse Inn is out of this world.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 11:18 AM
cat

Hi there. I have not yet been to wine country myself, but DH and I are planning a trip in Sept. for our 5th wedding anniversary. So, I have been doing quite a lot of research for places to stay with the same characteristics you are looking for. Here are my top choices so far:

1. The Poetry Inn, Yountville
2. Auberge du Soleil, Rutherford
3. Calistoga Ranch, Calistoga
4. Honor Mansion, Healdsburg
5. Harvest Inn, St. Helena

1, 2 and 3 are all in the extremely expensive category, with 4 & 5 being in the expensive category. All are pricey, but, based on the hundreds of reviews I have read, seem to be worth it. They all have a different feel to them, so check out the websites and see what you think. If I have my way, we'll be at the Poetry Inn. But, all of them look fabulous!!

Wherever you end up, ENJOY!
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 06:45 PM

GypsyHeart, I think you may have gone to the wrong wineries in Napa Valley. Next time you go, do a little research or ask some Fodorites for special winery recommendations. The great wine will not be at Trader Joe's.

For places to stay, I'd recommend Auberge du Soleil or Meadowood for the very expensive, high-end luxury. They are truly first-class with excellent service, food, atmosphere/ But we have had friends really enjoy Wine Country Inn in St. Helena, La Residence just north of Napa, and Oak Knoll Inn (beautiful, in the country).

Or check with the folks at the French Laundry; I hear Thomas Keller is opening his own small hotel in Yountville soon.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM

I've stayed at Auberge and Meadowood and Auberge is far superior.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 04:48 AM

My colleague wrote a post about romantic getaways in Napa:

http://travelingmamas.com/2008/08/18...ips-and-ideas/
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 05:03 AM

I almost do not want to post this suggestion as this is a little known place that my wife and I just love. Not a hotel, not a spa. kind of like a B&B.

www.napacottages.com
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:04 AM

buckeyebud...that place looks great! Thanks for the tip!
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Hi Skatterfly,

I took my girlfriend to Les Mars Hotel in Healdsburg for her birthday this past April and it was the most luxurious, relaxing, birthday she has ever had. While the hotel is not in the vineyards but in the town of Healdsburg, it was an incredible place and we would highly recommend them. The staff was superb.

We also had the birthday dinner at Cyrus restaurant which is as good as you have heard - we believe it is better than the much touted French Laundry (no offense to the French Laundry which is wonderful). Also, there are so many other nice restaurants within walking distance from Les Mars that we believe you would love it.

As a special treat, because my girlfriend is half Italian and loves Italian food, we went to Santi restaurant in Geyserville and it was excellent - Geyserville is a small drive/taxi ride from Healdsburg.

Of course, this was all quite expensive, so be prepared, but for a special occasion, we can't think of a nicer place to go - they do have a "birthday package" at Les Mars but it is pricey. Nevertheless, we thought it was worth it - especially for a special event.

Also, if you are into wine, we went on a wine tour with Magnum Tours - Jim Dolan is the owner (magnumwinetours.com). We have toured with Magnum several times (and our great tour guide was Keith Feilder). Jim and Keith will arrange a fantastic tour for you. Our last tour was in Napa (and no disrespect to the person who said they could get the Napa wines at TJ's) and because I am familiar with Napa, requested specific wineries and you can't get their wines at TJ's (or anyplace else practically!). We went to Brown Estate, Outpost (on Howell Mountain), and Lail. Other favorites are S.E. Chase Cellars, Shifflet, Kellham, Downing Family, Frank Family, Trespass, and Tres Sabores. And, I have to add that I have no connection with Magnum except that they have given us excellent service over the years.

Also, south to Sonoma, our favorite place for luxury is The Kenwood Inn in Kenwood. While people have complained that they are too close to Hghy 12, we have found that not to be a bother - the place is like being in a Tuscan Villa. The rooms are beautiful and decorated like Italy - there is a beautiful courtyard and they have a pretty good cook on premises. We also highly recommend them - last time we were there, service wasn't as good - but we think that's because they were remodeling and everyone was a bit stressed - having said that, another great place.

If Les Mars or Kenwood are too expensive, you might be interested in the Napa River Inn in Napa town if you can get the "Captain Hatt Suite." While, again, there have been construction complaints because of the "Napa Renaissance," we found the Inn to be charming and the service excellent - one of the managers there - Shane Greenen - is just fantastic and they are great people. Also, they have two great restaurants attached to the place "Angele" and "Celadon." Withing walking distance is the new OxBow Public Market, Bounty Hunter Wine (where you can taste wine and get a great lunch), Ubuntu (a great vegetarian restaurant), and many other nice places. Napa town is now hopping!

Hope this helps - please ask with any more questions.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 11:52 AM

Bookmarking.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 08:24 AM

The Poetry Inn is actually in Napa, not Yountville. It looks very nice. We have stayed at the Harvest Inn in St. Helena, it is a great property with an extensive breakfast buffet, you can eat out on the patio with vineyard views here. The Hotel Le Mars is gorgeous, we have admired it when we dined at Cyrus, twice. ***kim***
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 11:21 PM

Bookmarking