1-2 days in Wine Country????

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1-2 days in Wine Country????

I realize there are so many wonderful and helpful threads on this region, but I am wondering if anyone can give me good, blatant suggestions on my time contraints...

Napa or Sonoma? If coming straight from SF airport, how much farther is Sonoma(since it seems most people prefer the laid back atmosphere there)?? Splurge on Inns/B and B's, or are you never really there? If could only go to two or three wineries, which ones? We are doing the a trip down HWY 1 from there, and only have 1 and half to 2 days. Any advice is most appreciated!!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Hands down Sonoma: Healdsburg or town of Sonoma.
(Don't mind my bias, I live and play in the county)
Honor Mansion (H) or MacArthur Park(S)
or try Priceline for the Lodge at
Sonoma-it is a lovely place and you will save $$$$.

Travel time from SFO to either county
is about the same. Mind your time of day
North on 101 after 3PM is slow.

2 or 3 wineries:
If you stay in Healdsburg-
Roshambo: Very modern
Gary Farrell: Pinot Noir
A. Rafanelli: Need appointment
If Sonoma town:
Gundlach-Bundschu#39;cause they are FUN!
and make great wine.
KAZ: IMHO, the best "new" winery.
OR
you could just go South and visit
the wine country around Paseo Robles.

You will get a million answers to this question-it would help to know some of your preferences-budget,time of year,
red or white, etc.
Congrats!
R5
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you so much for this info...it's great to get such feedback. We are going around the end of March (I know not the most "ideal" time), and therefore some of the places to stay seem cheaper. We do have a budget but are willing to splurge if really worth it on certain hotels, wineries, meals, etc. We are from Eastern Canada, and it's hard to get some really experienced feedback. We both love red wines more than whites...thought about going to the Stag's Leap?, or others that we had heard about.

This is going to sound pathetic, but we saw that Jessica Simpson and her hubby Nick went to somewhere called Caneros Inn, and then Domaine Chandon, so I have done the research and looked great but don't want to go just cuz they were there...many inns look beautiful but is it worth it if you are at wineries all day?

Thanks for any feedback, soooo appreciated!
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Sonoma, without a doubt. Don't miss Nicholson Ranch, Shug, and Ledson.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Check out winecountry.com for some great rates! We will be staying at the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn, it's a gorgeous property, we've stayed there before.

Domaine Chandon is beautiful, try to have lunch out on the patio there. I love Napa Valley, we like the Yountville Inn and the Harvest Inn in St. Helena.

Yes, Stag's Leap is very good, we received coupons from the Yountville Inn for a complimentary tasting there. Very nice. Ledson in Sonoma is also very good.

I think Napa Valley is a bit more "upscale" and Sonoma laid back, but both are very nice. Of course, in Yountville you have the French Laundry. If you decide on Napa Valley, check out the Auberge du Soleil, it's gorgeous, have lunch out on the back deck. ***kim***
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Just for clarification to R5's post, it's McArthur Place and Paso Robles! ***kim***
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:24 AM

I'm jumping in a little late in the conversation, but we have traveled the wine country for years and really feel like we know a lot but this past fall we stayed in Healdsburg at a new spot for us, Honor Mansion. We had read some things about it and took a try, we loved it. The things that were so great were that when we arrived at the front of the inn, it looked like a regular victorian b&b. Once inside nothing could be further from the truth. Only 5 rooms in the mansion all the rest are great cottages and suites. We ended up in a room inside the mansion cause we booked last min. Our room was great, not at all victorian or frilly. The grounds are amazing, it really is an oasis of tranquility and peace. You do feel pampered, the staff is great they have done an amazing job creating what they call a resort inn, it really is. You should try it and the other great thing was we found so many new winieries from these people, go figure, they really know the area and what they are doing, all the dining suggestions were fab we loved willies and went for lunch and dinner. Stay in one place and day trip from there.