Next week I will be in Washington for a 2-day business meeting.
Since most of my time in DC will be dictated by the meeting's agenda, I want to see how I can make the most out of the small amount of free time.
So far, my agenda looks like this:
Arrive at Dulles airport at 4 pm, take taxi to Latham Hotel in Georgetown on M Street @ 30th St.
If still alive, walk around the neighborhood (which looks pretty nice on Streetview) in jet-lagged zombie mode and grab a bite to eat.
Any eatery in that area to try out (nothing fancy, as I will probably not be able to appreciate it)?
Day will be blocked by meeting and dinner at Zaytinya (why, oh why is there no way to sample regional American cuisine when attending an "international conference" in the US)
P.S. While I could take a taxi, I noticed that there is a Circulator bus calling at M Street in Georgetown and almost to the doorsteps of the venue of the meeting on I Street at Franklin Park. Or is taking the bus a stupid idea?
Meeting ends at 4pm.
At that time, museums should be closed, so I would look for an area to do a bit of Christmas shopping.. some place that looks especially nice with the Christmas decorations up. Any suggestions?
Free time all day until appr. 3 or 4 pm.
I am interested in American history, also into architecture or transport-related museums or sights. During other visits to DC, I have visited the Smithsonian, Air and Space, and the Mall.
This time I was thinking about the American History Museum. Good idea? Or any alternatives.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Rules of the NY Subway
- 2 Travel from Philadelphia to New York
- 3 Sad News for Maine Lobster Lovers
- 4 Anyone use Hawaiian Airlines?
- 5 Best weather and tips to roadtrip to west coast USA
- 6 Creating something new
- 7 10 Day Road Trip in Colorado
- 8 Best Time to Travel the West Coast (USA)
- 9 Drive from Chicago to Yellowstone and back
- 10 Trail Ridge Road Will be Closed This Weekend
- 11 Montana, Wyoming ideas including beartooth highway and little big hotn
- 12 Epic Journey East coast and back
- 13 South Dakota to Bryce Canyon and what to do in between...
- 14 Las Vegas trip report
- 15 Help! 2nd half of trip...From GTNP, 11 days before flying out of Denver.
- 16 PNC Park ~ convenient hotel?
- 17 road trip from NC to Maine in Sept.
- 18 Road trip from arizona to seattle.
- 19 10 Days in Maine
- 20 Amtrak California Zephyr and Yosemite waterfalls
- 21 Big Island - Best Way to See Lava and Waterfalls?
- 22 Boston for a cruise: South end? Downtown?
- 23 sugestions
- 24 Big Sur and Scenic Hwy 1 in CA.
- 25 Miami for 2 days