Next week I will be in Washington for a 2-day business meeting.
Since most of my time in DC will be dictated by the meeting's agenda, I want to see how I can make the most out of the small amount of free time.
So far, my agenda looks like this:
Arrive at Dulles airport at 4 pm, take taxi to Latham Hotel in Georgetown on M Street @ 30th St.
If still alive, walk around the neighborhood (which looks pretty nice on Streetview) in jet-lagged zombie mode and grab a bite to eat.
Any eatery in that area to try out (nothing fancy, as I will probably not be able to appreciate it)?
Day will be blocked by meeting and dinner at Zaytinya (why, oh why is there no way to sample regional American cuisine when attending an "international conference" in the US)
P.S. While I could take a taxi, I noticed that there is a Circulator bus calling at M Street in Georgetown and almost to the doorsteps of the venue of the meeting on I Street at Franklin Park. Or is taking the bus a stupid idea?
Meeting ends at 4pm.
At that time, museums should be closed, so I would look for an area to do a bit of Christmas shopping.. some place that looks especially nice with the Christmas decorations up. Any suggestions?
Free time all day until appr. 3 or 4 pm.
I am interested in American history, also into architecture or transport-related museums or sights. During other visits to DC, I have visited the Smithsonian, Air and Space, and the Mall.
This time I was thinking about the American History Museum. Good idea? Or any alternatives.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Washington D.C. - and only a few hours
- 1 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 2 Warm and don't Drive
- 3 Roadtrip New Orleans, Vicksburg, Montgomery, Mobile, New Orleans
- 4 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 5 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 6 UK passport to travel from US to Thailand
- 7 Roads Open to Estes Park
- 8 Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas 14 and 11 yo boys?
- 9 Help! Travel plans to USA West Coast
- 10 San Diego Desert Trip in January
- 11 RIP Judy Rogers
- 12 No high rises, low key natural area with water access in SW Fla
- 13 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 14 BASEBALL SPRING TRAINING-SCOTTSDALE
- 15 First time to Austin-San Antonio area
- 16 Fun restaurants in New Orleans
- 17 Charlotte Area Suggestions
- 18 hotel near Met NYC
- 19 NY - Tapas/Wine bar in theater district
- 20 Princeville in January
- 21 Good mobile booking apps for Kansas City area
- 22 pa to az
- 23 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 24 Savanah Sojourn
- 25 dog friendly hotels websites--any others than bringfido.com?