Next week I will be in Washington for a 2-day business meeting.
Since most of my time in DC will be dictated by the meeting's agenda, I want to see how I can make the most out of the small amount of free time.
So far, my agenda looks like this:
Arrive at Dulles airport at 4 pm, take taxi to Latham Hotel in Georgetown on M Street @ 30th St.
If still alive, walk around the neighborhood (which looks pretty nice on Streetview) in jet-lagged zombie mode and grab a bite to eat.
Any eatery in that area to try out (nothing fancy, as I will probably not be able to appreciate it)?
Day will be blocked by meeting and dinner at Zaytinya (why, oh why is there no way to sample regional American cuisine when attending an "international conference" in the US)
P.S. While I could take a taxi, I noticed that there is a Circulator bus calling at M Street in Georgetown and almost to the doorsteps of the venue of the meeting on I Street at Franklin Park. Or is taking the bus a stupid idea?
Meeting ends at 4pm.
At that time, museums should be closed, so I would look for an area to do a bit of Christmas shopping.. some place that looks especially nice with the Christmas decorations up. Any suggestions?
Free time all day until appr. 3 or 4 pm.
I am interested in American history, also into architecture or transport-related museums or sights. During other visits to DC, I have visited the Smithsonian, Air and Space, and the Mall.
This time I was thinking about the American History Museum. Good idea? Or any alternatives.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Wine Country
- 2 10 days in California. What should I hit?
- 3 Nashville Never Been
- 4 LV off strip hotels with shuttles to strip
- 5 Scenic vistas along the road the big island Hawaii
- 6 Key West luxury hotels
- 7 USA Trip in 4 Weeks
- 8 Where to stay 3 nights Big Island Jan 29-Feb 1
- 9 Florida beach vacation
- 10 Where's best place to stay near volcano big island besides volcano house?
- 11 Camping in or near Big Bend National Park
- 12 First Time Oahu/Maui
- 13 28 Day Road Trip to the Northwest from Chicago
- 14 Spring Break National Park Visit
- 15 Fall 1st time trip wine country
- 16 sight seeing Las Vegas to Palm Springs to Sante Fe
- 17 South Beach Miami dance clubs for people in their 30s and 40s
- 18 Oahu Trip Report with Friends Nov 2016
- 19 I95
- 20 Rafting the Colorado
- 21 4 Nights in NM with a 10 Year Old
- 22 Yosemite Trip May 2017
- 23 Uber boston
- 24 New York City - Wasington February 2017
- 25 Florida vacation