Next week I will be in Washington for a 2-day business meeting.
Since most of my time in DC will be dictated by the meeting's agenda, I want to see how I can make the most out of the small amount of free time.
So far, my agenda looks like this:
Arrive at Dulles airport at 4 pm, take taxi to Latham Hotel in Georgetown on M Street @ 30th St.
If still alive, walk around the neighborhood (which looks pretty nice on Streetview) in jet-lagged zombie mode and grab a bite to eat.
Any eatery in that area to try out (nothing fancy, as I will probably not be able to appreciate it)?
Day will be blocked by meeting and dinner at Zaytinya (why, oh why is there no way to sample regional American cuisine when attending an "international conference" in the US)
P.S. While I could take a taxi, I noticed that there is a Circulator bus calling at M Street in Georgetown and almost to the doorsteps of the venue of the meeting on I Street at Franklin Park. Or is taking the bus a stupid idea?
Meeting ends at 4pm.
At that time, museums should be closed, so I would look for an area to do a bit of Christmas shopping.. some place that looks especially nice with the Christmas decorations up. Any suggestions?
Free time all day until appr. 3 or 4 pm.
I am interested in American history, also into architecture or transport-related museums or sights. During other visits to DC, I have visited the Smithsonian, Air and Space, and the Mall.
This time I was thinking about the American History Museum. Good idea? Or any alternatives.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Washington D.C. - and only a few hours
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Better cooking store in Seattle
- 2 Tipping advice
- 3 Nashville - Weekend Trip
- 4 New Orleans help please
- 5 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 6 Dad and daughter trip to Santa Fe
- 7 August 2015 Western Roadtrip Route? 30 days...Two 22-year-old Girls
- 8 los angeles restaurants
- 9 Deep South roadtrip, 3 weeks, 2 more Brits needing your help!
- 10 Trip to Jupiter, FL
- 11 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 12 Road trip March from Atlanta
- 13 "American in Paris" on Broadway
- 14 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 15 Durango to Mesa Verde
- 16 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches
- 17 US 101 closed N of Florence
- 18 Oregon- Crater Lake and Mount Hood vs Montana- Glacier Bay National Park
- 19 Charming,not too expensive restaurant recommendations needed
- 20 Tuscon to Las Vegas Drive in December
- 21 5 Days in San Antonio and Austin Texas
- 22 Transportation from Newark airport to Secaucus
- 23 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 24 New Year's Eve in Philadelphia
- 25 Philadelphia accommodation thoughts