Christmas in DC - things to do/see

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - I am visting DC for the first time this Dec - arriving 26th Dec for 5 days (I know its a weird time but I always escape the UK over Christmas )

As a first time visitor - would be really pleased to hear some must do's tips etc etc

Single Guy 46 - Love History Theatre Good Places to eat

Look forward to ideas

Thanks in advance

John
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:40 AM

Here is one resource to get you started:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...l_visitorguide (also check closer to your visit for December concert/theater listings)

I would suggest you get a hotel in the Dupont neighborhood - the best restaurants in the city are clustered here.

There "red squares" on this map indicate all the hotels close to the Dupont Circle Metro station.

http://www.stationmasters.com/System.../dupontci.html

The theaters are spread throughout the city - there is no particular "theater zone".

History, likewise, can be found in different neighborhoods. Capitol Hill (spend a full day in this neighborhood) is a good place to start.

The different Smitshonian museums have differnt takes on history as well. Unfortunately, the National Museum of American History is closed until Spring 2008.

The National Gallery of Art ranks with the worlds best - plan at least half a day there.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Ford's Theater is closed as well, but they will be open only for the annual musical version of "A Christmas Carol" (if you can stomach seeing that).

For history buffs frustrated by the closure of American History, try the National Postal Museum adjacent to Union Station. It is mostly about how the mail was transported rather than about stamps. Very few people visit the museum. History buffs will enjoy it.

Of course have a look at the national Christmas tree, etc., on the ellipse.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 03:07 PM

You are picking a great time to be in Washington. THe holidays are a beautiful time to be in the city, things are not going to be crowded, you will be able to get into restaurants, the city will be decorated.

DC empties out at the end of December because (a) Congress is out of session (b) DC is full of students and residents who are from somewhere else and go there during the holiday (c) a lot of workplaces shut down for the week between Christmas and New Years. Still, everything is open and there is still a hustle and bustle, but without crowds.

I rarely recommend Gtown, but Christmas is a great time to head to Georgetown and see the residential streets.

All of the museums will be open--excpet those closet for renovations. Definitely see the recently renovated Museum of American Art and Portrait Gallery. For a history buff, you will love it.

The National Cathedral is really nice during the holidays. They have an amazing creche/manger collection.

If you are someone who doesn't mind eating alone, but at a nice place, I'd try to get a reservation at 1789. Or just go by and have a drink in the bar. It's really lovely during the holidays.

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 03:13 PM

There have been very good posts on this topic in the past few years. Insert 'Christmas Washington DC' in the search box and the top and you will get more information than you know how to handle. DC is indeed a beautiful place during the holidays and there is a multitude of activities, many of them free.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 03:14 PM

There have been very good posts on this topic in the past few years. Insert 'Christmas Washington DC' in the search box at the top and you will get more information than you know how to handle. DC is indeed a beautiful place during the holidays and there is a multitude of activities, many of them free.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 05:30 AM

You're too late for the annual Mt. Vernon by Candlelight, but it's a lovely place for holiday visits, and is decked out for Christmas.

Also, ice skating at the National Gallery...
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions. I am reallylooking forward to my first time in DC

John