I am overwhelmed by the amount of information on the various islands and everything I find out leads to more questions. So here are the facts:
I am taking my mother for her first visit to Hawaii in October for one week.
I anticipate spending a couple days relaxing on the beach, and other time out exploring.
My mom is in her early 70s and relatively active - no hiking/biking/etc., but she is able to keep a good pace when she travels.
My mom had no idea the idea of a resort hotel existed until she stayed at one in Florida for a few days. She loved general quietness of a private beach and easy access to the hotel while sitting on the beach with chairs all set up, umbrellas, etc..
Money is an object on one hand, but yet we may splurge a bit for a nicer place.
When i have looked at various beaches and hotels I have been unable to gage if they will give my mom that "resort" feel that she wants. Some beaches don't seem like the relaxing experience she had in Florida.
The main thing i am trying to determine is what beach in Kauai or Maui gives us that without it being crawling with people. Once i narrow it down to the beach i hope to figure out the hotel (but am certainly open to your suggestions).
Maui or Kauai in October with mother
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Francisco-Coventry Inn??
- 2 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 3 Do I need to buy tickets in advance for Chicago Art Institute?
- 4 Santa Barbara Itinerary Help Needed
- 5 Scouting trip for possible move to SoCal -- advice on itin, please
- 6 best area to stay in san diego
- 7 Vegas hotels for families
- 8 East Coast trip including DC, New York and surrounding areas.
- 9 Finally!!! Santa Fe/ Albuquerque Family Christmas Break 2014
- 10 Studio-size Apartments, Guest Houses for rent, Ojai and Ventura
- 11 A weekend in Boston area with Friends (including 2 teenagers)
- 12 Lake Tahoe to Yosemite: advice needed
- 13 Two airports to choose from?
- 14 Palm Desert California recommendations for dining
- 15 Beaufort, NC or Wilmington, NC?
- 16 Sonoma and Napa Wine Country - How bad is it after the quake?
- 17 San Francisco - mid October
- 18 A few NYC questions about 9/11 memorial tours and more.
- 19 Key West Dry Tortugas
- 20 Part Three of an 18 Day RV trip - Seward
- 21 Pizza Recs in the Bronx Area
- 22 Where to go to hear good Hawaiian Music in Kauai?
- 23 layover
- 24 Which cross-country route, I-40 or I-80?
- 25 Part Four of an 18 Day RV trip - Homer