My wife, daughter (age 18) and I are flying in to Boston/Logan mid afternoon July 5th and fly back out of Boston, early morning July 14, so I need to leave a day for seeing a few sites in Boston on July 13. Our goal is to spend time exploring up the Maine coastline and possibly into New Brunswick as well. We love nature, lighthouses, and eating at food joints where we can mingle with the locals.
Based upon the forums I have screened thus far, there seems to be a consensus that we should spend time in Acadia Nat'l Park. Other folks simply reference Acadia, thus, I am not sure if they are also referring to the Nat'l park or the Acadia area in general. I did a mapquest search of Acadia and it listed the center as close to the Canadian border. We are definitely water and mountain people and would like to do some hikes that are not overly difficult.
As soon as we land we will head towards Portland. I was thinking to only spend the night and the following day there and perhaps make our way into Rockland the second night. I have seen various recommendations for Camden / Rockland and was not sure on the adequate number of days I should lodge in Rockland as a hub before moving further north. I have seen folks discuss SW Harbor, Barr, Boothbay, etc.
I have never been to Maine before so I have no understanding of how long it might take to meander the coastline or the best hub locations. I figure whatever we miss, we can catch on my way back down to Boston.
Your assistance is requested and greatly appreciated.
Maine - July 5th to July 14
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 2 Chain of Craters Road safe with Infants
- 3 AUSTIN HOTEL
- 4 First family ski trip
- 5 Universal studios/Orlando
- 6 Dividing time in Grand Canyon
- 7 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 8 driver for airport pick up in NY
- 9 Salt Lake City, Utah
- 10 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 11 Accomodations in Seattle for 15
- 12 Yes it's March, but let's talk Christmas destinations!
- 13 Where to eat lunch in Washington, D.C.?
- 14 Vacation rentals in Tucson
- 15 Über, peer sharing sites, and insurance
- 16 Alaska
- 17 Quiet hotel room in University district?
- 18 boston to nantucket: what are our options?
- 19 Seattle TrainingTrip March 17, q's
- 20 Car rental through Priceline bidding
- 21 San Diego parks and attractions
- 22 Lunch somewhere between Arlington and Roanoke VA?
- 23 What to do in Pawley's Island in Early March?
- 24 Great Smokies - Seasonal Closings
- 25 Florida, Gulf Coast recommendations