My wife, daughter (age 18) and I are flying in to Boston/Logan mid afternoon July 5th and fly back out of Boston, early morning July 14, so I need to leave a day for seeing a few sites in Boston on July 13. Our goal is to spend time exploring up the Maine coastline and possibly into New Brunswick as well. We love nature, lighthouses, and eating at food joints where we can mingle with the locals.
Based upon the forums I have screened thus far, there seems to be a consensus that we should spend time in Acadia Nat'l Park. Other folks simply reference Acadia, thus, I am not sure if they are also referring to the Nat'l park or the Acadia area in general. I did a mapquest search of Acadia and it listed the center as close to the Canadian border. We are definitely water and mountain people and would like to do some hikes that are not overly difficult.
As soon as we land we will head towards Portland. I was thinking to only spend the night and the following day there and perhaps make our way into Rockland the second night. I have seen various recommendations for Camden / Rockland and was not sure on the adequate number of days I should lodge in Rockland as a hub before moving further north. I have seen folks discuss SW Harbor, Barr, Boothbay, etc.
I have never been to Maine before so I have no understanding of how long it might take to meander the coastline or the best hub locations. I figure whatever we miss, we can catch on my way back down to Boston.
Your assistance is requested and greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Sonoma
- 2 Fodor's Walt Disney World 2017 travel guide
- 3 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 4 Colorado Forest Die Off - How Awful Is It? Should We Visit Elsewhere?
- 5 101 closure
- 6 North Rim, Page, Bryce & Zion Advice
- 7 Springfield, IL to Louisville, KY best route
- 8 Lowkey, waterfront, natural area for winter months--no high rises
- 9 Seattle and Vancouver/Victoria
- 10 Cruise to Alaska. Ports- Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria
- 11 fairfeld inn or Hampton inn
- 12 NE Itinerary - Thoughts?
- 13 ONLY 2 DAYS IN WILLIAMSBURG
- 14 Middle aged and overweight - can I hike
- 15 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 16 What type of hire car for Nat Parks in UT, AZ
- 17 Gate1 8 Day Grand Canyon tour review/ Comments
- 18 Alaska cruise
- 19 Spur of the moment Chicago advice.
- 20 Family Colorado Road Trip
- 21 New Orleans
- 22 Maui Bed and Breakfast
- 23 Kentucky Derby Shuttle
- 24 Southwest/California NP roadtrip advice needed.
- 25 Walking Safety Near Boston Common