My wife, daughter (age 18) and I are flying in to Boston/Logan mid afternoon July 5th and fly back out of Boston, early morning July 14, so I need to leave a day for seeing a few sites in Boston on July 13. Our goal is to spend time exploring up the Maine coastline and possibly into New Brunswick as well. We love nature, lighthouses, and eating at food joints where we can mingle with the locals.
Based upon the forums I have screened thus far, there seems to be a consensus that we should spend time in Acadia Nat'l Park. Other folks simply reference Acadia, thus, I am not sure if they are also referring to the Nat'l park or the Acadia area in general. I did a mapquest search of Acadia and it listed the center as close to the Canadian border. We are definitely water and mountain people and would like to do some hikes that are not overly difficult.
As soon as we land we will head towards Portland. I was thinking to only spend the night and the following day there and perhaps make our way into Rockland the second night. I have seen various recommendations for Camden / Rockland and was not sure on the adequate number of days I should lodge in Rockland as a hub before moving further north. I have seen folks discuss SW Harbor, Barr, Boothbay, etc.
I have never been to Maine before so I have no understanding of how long it might take to meander the coastline or the best hub locations. I figure whatever we miss, we can catch on my way back down to Boston.
Your assistance is requested and greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Recommend an ATV Tour in UT, AZ or CO
- 2 Got error in dell printer 016-302
- 3 Road trip from Saint Louis, Mo
- 4 San Francisco Hotel With Car
- 5 San Francisco, Las Vegas - Where next?
- 6 Week of July 4th in Hamptons. First-timer, bday dinner...
- 7 2-day romantic couple getaway in CO mountains?
- 8 Best Vegas hotel with 12 & 15 year olds
- 9 New Itinerary
- 10 Las vegas and nearby
- 11 Cape Cod trip report
- 12 Itin help - West / Grand Canyon
- 13 Napa & Sonoma - Winery Suggestions
- 14 Need input on the following itinerary for Mid Coast Maine
- 15 Key West Hidden Gem Hotels?
- 16 SF-Yosemite-Monterey-SF
- 17 Thoughts on these 3 spots for Estes Park lodging?
- 18 Where to take mom for 70th birthday?
- 19 Road trip from Asheville to western United States!
- 20 Sad News for Maine Lobster Lovers
- 21 Ashville, NC; where to stay?
- 22 Restaurant Recs in Boston
- 23 Help with Denver - Moab - Denver Trip Itinerary Suggestions
- 24 Washington - what should we see between Seattle and Cashmere?
- 25 Quaint towns in Sonoma County