My wife, daughter (age 18) and I are flying in to Boston/Logan mid afternoon July 5th and fly back out of Boston, early morning July 14, so I need to leave a day for seeing a few sites in Boston on July 13. Our goal is to spend time exploring up the Maine coastline and possibly into New Brunswick as well. We love nature, lighthouses, and eating at food joints where we can mingle with the locals.
Based upon the forums I have screened thus far, there seems to be a consensus that we should spend time in Acadia Nat'l Park. Other folks simply reference Acadia, thus, I am not sure if they are also referring to the Nat'l park or the Acadia area in general. I did a mapquest search of Acadia and it listed the center as close to the Canadian border. We are definitely water and mountain people and would like to do some hikes that are not overly difficult.
As soon as we land we will head towards Portland. I was thinking to only spend the night and the following day there and perhaps make our way into Rockland the second night. I have seen various recommendations for Camden / Rockland and was not sure on the adequate number of days I should lodge in Rockland as a hub before moving further north. I have seen folks discuss SW Harbor, Barr, Boothbay, etc.
I have never been to Maine before so I have no understanding of how long it might take to meander the coastline or the best hub locations. I figure whatever we miss, we can catch on my way back down to Boston.
Your assistance is requested and greatly appreciated.
Maine - July 5th to July 14
- 1 Im new and need HELP to plan my Rv travel !!
- 2 Christmas-time in New York City? Special holiday experiences?
- 3 Are hotels in Waikiki really this bad?
- 4 Easter Holiday on Kauai with 10 year old daughter
- 5 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 6 US West Coast - Car or Camper
- 7 Madison Square Garden
- 8 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 9 Orlando to Salt Lake City route, end of January
- 10 Got Plans for New Year's Eve? Want to Count Down With a Giant Walleye?
- 11 NYC Rooftop bar with a view?
- 12 Las Vegas to Zion National Park - Fear of Heights
- 13 hawaii for 10 weeks
- 14 hotel near Met NYC
- 15 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 16 Hotels on Hilo side of the Big Island?
- 17 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 18 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 19 PRIDE OF AMERICA
- 20 Hey drivers, taking my grandmother to San Fran - lil help?!?
- 21 Moonstruck Patisserie - Hilo ~ wow!!
- 22 Big Island Hawaii - stay in Kona AND Hilo? Also when are school holidays?
- 23 First timers in Kauai--would love advice/suggestions
- 24 Bowers Museum - Need Restaurant Suggestions Nearby
- 25 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!