My wife, daughter (age 18) and I are flying in to Boston/Logan mid afternoon July 5th and fly back out of Boston, early morning July 14, so I need to leave a day for seeing a few sites in Boston on July 13. Our goal is to spend time exploring up the Maine coastline and possibly into New Brunswick as well. We love nature, lighthouses, and eating at food joints where we can mingle with the locals.
Based upon the forums I have screened thus far, there seems to be a consensus that we should spend time in Acadia Nat'l Park. Other folks simply reference Acadia, thus, I am not sure if they are also referring to the Nat'l park or the Acadia area in general. I did a mapquest search of Acadia and it listed the center as close to the Canadian border. We are definitely water and mountain people and would like to do some hikes that are not overly difficult.
As soon as we land we will head towards Portland. I was thinking to only spend the night and the following day there and perhaps make our way into Rockland the second night. I have seen various recommendations for Camden / Rockland and was not sure on the adequate number of days I should lodge in Rockland as a hub before moving further north. I have seen folks discuss SW Harbor, Barr, Boothbay, etc.
I have never been to Maine before so I have no understanding of how long it might take to meander the coastline or the best hub locations. I figure whatever we miss, we can catch on my way back down to Boston.
Your assistance is requested and greatly appreciated.
Maine - July 5th to July 14
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Quick Austin weekend itinerary review
- 2 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 3 The East Coast adventure: December 2014
- 4 August 2015 Western Roadtrip Route? 30 days...Two 22-year-old Girls
- 5 Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Banff in May or early Sept.?
- 6 Best Destination in USA
- 7 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 8 Road trip March from Atlanta
- 9 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 10 Nashville - Weekend Trip
- 11 Please help identify location in Southern California
- 12 Dinner stop between Boston and Bradley Airport in CT (Windsor)
- 13 NYT article on exploring Los Angeles without a car
- 14 x mas
- 15 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches
- 16 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 17 Last Minute NYE Trip to DC - Fancy Tea? Other special ideas...Wanted
- 18 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 19 US 101 closed N of Florence
- 20 FLORIDA CONDO--seeking general advice
- 21 Deep South roadtrip, 3 weeks, 2 more Brits needing your help!
- 22 Help with seeing Rocky Mountain National Park
- 23 Choosing best Seats Radio City
- 24 New Orleans help please
- 25 Better cooking store in Seattle