Search

Maine - July 5th to July 14

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2013, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine - July 5th to July 14

Hello All,

My wife, daughter (age 18) and I are flying in to Boston/Logan mid afternoon July 5th and fly back out of Boston, early morning July 14, so I need to leave a day for seeing a few sites in Boston on July 13. Our goal is to spend time exploring up the Maine coastline and possibly into New Brunswick as well. We love nature, lighthouses, and eating at food joints where we can mingle with the locals.

Based upon the forums I have screened thus far, there seems to be a consensus that we should spend time in Acadia Nat'l Park. Other folks simply reference Acadia, thus, I am not sure if they are also referring to the Nat'l park or the Acadia area in general. I did a mapquest search of Acadia and it listed the center as close to the Canadian border. We are definitely water and mountain people and would like to do some hikes that are not overly difficult.

As soon as we land we will head towards Portland. I was thinking to only spend the night and the following day there and perhaps make our way into Rockland the second night. I have seen various recommendations for Camden / Rockland and was not sure on the adequate number of days I should lodge in Rockland as a hub before moving further north. I have seen folks discuss SW Harbor, Barr, Boothbay, etc.

I have never been to Maine before so I have no understanding of how long it might take to meander the coastline or the best hub locations. I figure whatever we miss, we can catch on my way back down to Boston.

Your assistance is requested and greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Meandering the coastline will take forever and a day. Route 1, considered the coastal route, does not really hug the coast at all in most places. You have to exit and head 25 minutes down a peninsula and then back up to Route 1.

You've got only 7 full days and you love nature, hikes, local food and local folks. Generally with those loves I'd tell you to get up to Moosehead Lake for a hike up Mt. Kineo, but you'll probably have to settle for Mt. Battie near Rockland. What type of lodging are you looking for and do you have a budget to stick to? Roadside motels along route 1 will be the least expensive, oceanside motor courts next, then inns and of course grand hotels by the sea.

I'd say you definitely don't have the time to get up into New Brunswick, and I would skip Portland as it is probably much more big-city than what you're looking for.

My suggestion would be:

July 5 & 6 Ogunquit/Kennebunkport area
July 7, 8 and 9 Acadia/Bar Harbor area (which is probably already sold out on 4 , 5 and 6).
July 10, 11, 12 Camden/Rockland
then traveling south to Boston on the 13th having the afternoon and evening there.

One things for sure, you'll need to finalize an itinerary and book soon. In fact July 5 and 6 you may end up just having to stay in whatever area happens to still have some availability. Portland is already showing pretty much nothing under $325 except for airport hotels. Ogunquit is looking pretty grim as well, Camden Rockland still shows openings so that might be the best place to spend that weekend. Inn at Blackberry Commons, High Tide Inn, Hartstone Inn, Strawberry Hill or Glenmoor by the Sea show vacancies, but a couple of weeks from now they may not.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:47 PM

http://www.fodors.com/search/results...=Coastal+Maine
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:23 PM

I love midcoast Maine. I would skip the southern portions of the coast (Ogunquit/Kennebunkport), which will be packed with folks up from the Boston area for the 4th of July, and spend your first night in Portland. Then decide on a couple of peninsulas -- you might head from Brunswick down Bailey/Orrs Islands (including the Harpswells) for a couple of days; or down the peninsula from Bath to Popham Beach and the surrounding fingers of that peninsula; to Georgetown and Reid State Park from Wiscasset north of Bath; and plenty of other beautiful areas that shouldn't be overrun with visitors. Go kayaking with H2O Outfitters where Orrs meets Bailey Island, or another kayaking outfitter. Don't miss the lighthouse at Pemaquid Point. You can go further north--to Acadia if you're so moved--but you'll be well rewarded by soaking up the local atmosphere of less visited midcoast area. Take a ferry to Monhegan Island and enjoy the walks there--stay overnight if you can. There's lots to do on the Maine coast, and in my opinion the charm is found in pursuing a slower pace.
Old May 24th, 2013, 01:52 AM

I agree with skipping the southern coast area ESP that weekend. If you want to see it, such as walk the Marginal Way in Ogunqui, stop on your way back to Boston and go early in the day.
Generally, we stay on I95 until we get to Brunswick since we prefer the mid-coast area. Portland has some fun food places and you might like to do a lighthouse cruise of Casco Bay. We've onlydone the mail boat cruise in the morning which gets you back to the Old Port area in time for lunch.

But if lobster is on your agenda, google best lobster shack for an article giving you a good list. Those shacks are going to be in out of the way places like near Pemaquid Point and in the Harpswells and, our favorite, Waterman's Beach near the Owls Head Transportation Museum (see nice easy hike to the lighthouse).

You might consider heading straight to Bath for their Heritage Days Event if you want to hang with locals. There is also a very good farmers market in Bath (you can get a list from the state dept of ag). Last year we attended the Rotary barbecue which was held behind the library next to the crafts fair. You might also like to check out the book sale.

Get the map to the conservation areas in the Harpswells for some easy hiking. The Giant Steps in not as long nor as high as the Marginal Way but you will probably only see a couple of other people. We also did a hike thru some woods to the ocean. Nobody on the shady trail. Liked the lobster place in Cundy's Harbor. You can spend a day exploring that whole area. Dolphin Bay Marina restaurant is also recommend but is more of a casual sit indoors type of place. The chowder is recommended.

Boothbay is beautiful but it is also very crowded. Park in the lot as you get near town. You might enjoy Maine Coastal Gardens a lot more.

You might want to visit some of the wineries and Morse's Deli. This gets you off route 1. We generally explore a peninsula with a lobster place for lunch and go back to our lodging (most of the time we have camped) late in the day. Last year we used the same formula but stayed in a simple cottage and did some take-out for supper. There's a good food truck in Bath near the kayak place on Meadow? River.

If you go to Acadia via rt 1 plan on lunch at Just Barb's in Stockton if they are still open. Chowhound says they were still good. Local kind of place with good food.
Old May 24th, 2013, 10:31 AM

Just my two cents, and bear in mind that I've only been to Maine once as an adult, in 2011, and only the Acadia area.

Acadia National Park is located along the water on Mt. Desert Island. Little towns on the island are Bar Harbor, SW Harbor, and Bass Harbor, which are all a short distance from one another. Most will probably be booked for the time you will be there, and Bar Harbor is the busiest and most crowded - albeit very pretty.

A portion of Acadia is also located on the Schoodic Peninsula, which is less than an hour from Bar Harbor by car, and is a lot smaller, quieter and less crowded. I actually preferred it for that reason - but I think you should not miss MDI. If you stay in one place, try to visit the other.

There is a ferry that runs between Bar Harbor and the Schoodic peninsula during the summer season. Check out my New England trip report for more information.
Old May 24th, 2013, 10:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Good advice from dfroshnh & aprillacs. The areas they describe will be way less crowded and offer beautiful scenery, hiking, kayaking and some towns.
I prefer Rockland to Camden as Camden seem to be always so crowded and too many trinket shops. I also prefer SWHarbor to Bar harbor for the same reason. Agree you should try to make reservations ASAP. Although I've been up that way 4th July and was surprised that it was not packed yet.
Old May 24th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the feedback thus far guys. I just got home from work so I need to start researching your suggestions to determine how to best work them in.
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I just made my first night's reservation in Brunswick to get me in the area. Now the real planning begins.
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:27 PM

Brunswick has some very good restaurants. And, ummm, well....a college.

NEXT!
Old May 25th, 2013, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Clarkgriswold,

Our plane arrives at 1:40 in the afternoon. I figure by the time we get our rental car and drive to Brunswick in rush hour that it will be 6:30 or later. Did not see much point on paying $250 the first night or locking us into a two night minimum just to park ourselves for a few hours. I just wanted to get to the area to start our exploration of the coast the next morning without wasting much time. It also buys me a bit of time to plan the rest or the trip.
Old May 25th, 2013, 02:47 AM

Brunswick is a good location to explore the Harpswells. We had a good lobster roll lunch at an old drive-in type of restaurant as your heading out of town on the Bath road. Very casual. Or you could just take your time (due to rush hour) heading north and stop someplace for dinner before you get over-tired and cranky. I think there are restaurant recommendations on Chowhound Northern New England for Brunswick.
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:38 AM

dfrost, what is there to explore in the Harpswells? Have only been there once, to dine at the Dolphin, but it seemed just a typical summer-home peninsula, not a place that would interest an 18-year-old on her first and maybe only trip to the state and with only a week to cover a lot of ground. And Bath for a Rotary BBQ? If they've got that kinda time to kill I'd recommend adding the Moosehead Lake area which isn't a bad drive from Acadia.

http://www.flickriver.com/places/Uni...s/Maine/Kineo/

http://imagesus.homeaway.com/mda01/4...26600205e.1.12

http://imagesus.homeaway.com/vd2/fil...8332157372.jpg
Old May 25th, 2013, 12:55 PM

I love the area around Brunswick, BAth and the Harpswell peninsula. You can also go over to Reid State PArk and do some hiking or lying about. Kayaking can also be found in the area. There's lots of little local places to explore in that area -- it's a bit off the beaten track and just as lovely as Camden which is packed with tourists. Bath itself is a cute little town that has lots of activities going on -- sort of typical Maine for me. Cute stores, some good restaurants and locals. The OP said the want to mingle with the locals and what better way than at a rotary barbecue?

Acadia is certainly beautiful and if they want to drive that far, then that's good too. But if they'd rather spend time exploring the backroads of Maine with beautiful scenery, cute coves and less traffic & people than Mid coast is perfect. From there they can head up to Camden or Rockland or perhaps Boothbay Harbor with a lot more action and people. Or continue on up to Bar Harbor or SW Harbor. There are so many beautiful villages and towns along the coast to explore and enjoy.
Mooselake is very pretty, but way to far unless that is where they want to spend the bulk of their time in Maine.
Old May 25th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Okay, here is what I have so far. At least, it is what I believe I have once one of the reservations gets confirmed.

July 5th evening in Brunswick

July 6th, 7th and 8th nights based out of Rockland - will probably explore Harpswell and Bath on the way to the Rockland / Camden area

July 9th, 10th and 11th nights in SW Harbor base

July 12th night still open as we decide what we want to see on the way back down from Acadia. Could be Boothbay area, more Harpswell, or Portland or Ogunquit/Kennebunkport. Just wanted to start moving back south towards Boston.

July 13th night - Boston.
Old May 25th, 2013, 04:32 PM

Sounds like a great plan. Have fun and eaglets of lobster!
Old May 26th, 2013, 02:16 AM

Thanks, yestravel, you read the op's reques! Clark, the op wanted to mingle with the locals and that's what we did at the Rotary BBQ during Bath's Heritage Days. Here's the link to conservation areas in the Harpswells
http://hhltmaine.org/conserved-land/...-in-harpswell/
The Giant's Stairs is a pleasant walk along the cliff, a mini version of the Marginal Way. The photo on the website's upper right looks like the beach where we sat awhile and watched activity in the small harbor. There's also a secluded beach that we found on a prior trip but I didn't take time to figure out which one it is on the list. It's the one that specifically warns about ground clearance on your car. A low rental might not be able to go on the road. It's very rough and we were in a pickup. A small group enjoying the beach, a couple of fishermen, and us. We carry bag chairs when we find a good spot.

It's hard telling what an 18 yo wants to do. Avid hiker? Or would prefer shops in Camden. They can figure it out as they go along. At that age, DS would have chosen the Owls Head Transportation Museum which has some additional events on weekends or the Cole Transportation Museum in Bangor. Last year during the July 4th week we also went on a garden tour in Brunswick which might not appeal to any of them. I prefer the Farnsworth Museum of Art in Rockland to car places.

One year DH discovered a good way to mingle with the locals and that was to visit a local barber. Another year it was drizzly so we skipped Waterman's and followed signs advertising a lobster benefit dinner for a local FD. The Bath Heritage festival also has a tent in the craft fair area where the church ladies sell slices of homemade pie. I get rhubarb or strawberry rhubarb if I can. DH likes custard.

Thanks, yestravel, you read the op's reques! Clark, the op wanted to mingle with the locals and that's what we did at the Rotary BBQ during Bath's Heritage Days. Here's the link to conservation areas in the Harpswells
The Giant's Stairs is a pleasant walk along the cliff, a mini version of the Marginal Way. The photo on the website's upper right looks like the beach where we sat awhile and watched activity in the small harbor. There's also a secluded beach that we found on a prior trip but I didn't take time to figure out which one it is on the list. It's the one that specifically warns about ground clearance on your car. A low rental might not be able to go on the road. It's very rough and we were in a pickup. A small group enjoying the beach, a couple of fishermen, and us. We carry bag chairs when we find a good spot.

It's hard telling what an 18 yo wants to do. Avid hiker? Or would prefer shops in Camden. They can figure it out as they go along. At that age, DS would have chosen the Owls Head Transportation Museum which has some additional events on weekends or the Cole Transportation Museum in Bangor. Last year during the July 4th week we also went on a garden tour in Brunswick which might not appeal to any of them. I prefer the Farnsworth Museum of Art in Rockland to car places.

One year DH discovered a good way to mingle with the locals and that was to visit a local barber. Another year it was drizzly so we skipped Waterman's and followed signs advertising a lobster benefit dinner for a local FD. The Bath Heritage festival also has a tent in the craft fair area where the church ladies sell slices of homemade pie. I get rhubarb or strawberry rhubarb if I can. DH likes custard.

Old May 26th, 2013, 02:19 AM

oops, sorry for the triplicate post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -